Best wheel gun setup for griz protection?

gbflyer

WKR
5” Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt with stout handloads of 335gr hard cast. If the bullet doesn’t stop the charge I can always use it as a club. Usually just carry a rifle though.

hodgeman

WKR
Anyone getting serious pressure leaking out between the cylinder and frame on their 329?

SW told me these Scandium frames dont last as long as a steel revolver
I don't have any issue. The earlier guns had some examples with flame cutting the heat shield and eroding the frame, especially with full power charges of H110 powder or similar.

I load mine primarily with Power Pistol in mid and full power charges and don't have any erosion. I'm surprised anyone shoots these enough to have a serious issue, but it's happened. I've ran a few cylinders of full power "bear loads" (BB, AK Backpacker) through mine and the gun held up fine, but I wouldn't make it a regular habit.

drmatara

FNG
I have a 7.5" RH in .44 mag but I think its too long for quick deployment. A short barreled Ruger RH in .480 would be my choice.

I have only been in grizzly areas twice and both times I carried a Glock 20. I shoot a Glock 17, 34 or 35 almost weekly in USPSA /Steel Challenge/IDPA, so the 20 was a no brainer for me. I would suggest shooting the platform/caliber you know and are comfortable with.

dla

WKR
Before a guy goes out and buying a large caliber handgun, pistol or revolver, I suggest this little drill. This isn’t high tech, but works for me.

I use a 12” steel gong so I can see and hear the hits. At 10 yards I have the hand gun in my hand at my side. I feel 10 yards is a good compromise between a surprise bear attack or at the point where a charge is no longer a bluff. Then as quickly and safely as possible I engage the target. Shooting as fast as I can when I have the correct sight picture. I find I can place all 10 shots with my 22/45 pretty easy considering it’s a .22. I then move on to the 9mm, 357, 10, then finally my 44 spl Blackhawk. This is the largest handgun I own. I can’t stand shooting a 44mag, and honestly I find it impractical after the first shot. In a true defensive situation.

I find this exercise is a real eye opener on what is a practical cartridge for the discussion at hand.
Work at it a little and you'll be able to rip off 6 rounds of 44 mag into the target without much fanfare. That is pretty much the drill I do with my 329pd using 240gr@1250fps practice ammo.

It’s absolutely a good idea to be able to quickly and accurately unload your pistol into the target, however, I bet that if you were to ask everybody that you could find, who have actually been involved in this type of situation/bear attack, very few of those people would tell you that they had plenty of time to unload their weapon into the charging bear. In fact, many of the people that I have spoken with or hear stories of, that have either been mauled or came close to it, didn’t even have a chance to fire a single shot, and of the ones that were able to deploy their weapon, most of them were only able to get off one round. Fortunately, often times one round is all it takes to defuse the situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dla

WKR
Anyone getting serious pressure leaking out between the cylinder and frame on their 329?

SW told me these Scandium frames dont last as long as a steel revolver
You can adjust the cylinder gap - all revolvers have this "feature". Keep your hands away from the gap.
The 329pd uses a replaceable blast shield to protect the alloy top strap. Mine usually last at least a thousand rounds before needing replacement. S&W takes care of it for free. S&W's customer service is first rate - I've never had an issue with them.
Since most folks never shoot a thousand rounds of 44mag in their lifetime, and S&W's stellar CS, frame life is a non-issue.

Beendare

WKR
You can adjust the cylinder gap - all revolvers have this "feature". Keep your hands away from the gap.
The 329pd uses a replaceable blast shield to protect the alloy top strap. Mine usually last at least a thousand rounds before needing replacement. S&W takes care of it for free. S&W's customer service is first rate - I've never had an issue with them.
Since most folks never shoot a thousand rounds of 44mag in their lifetime, and S&W's stellar CS, frame life is a non-issue.
Thanks for the info.

I was hoping you would chime in as you have mentioned in the past you shoot yours a lot.

ATL

FNG
Over the last dozen years, I have spent considerable time in NW Wyoming backcountry (fishing, elk and deer hunting), and a few DIY fishing trips to AK. I have chosen to carry a 4" Ruger Redhawk, 45 Colt, loaded with DoubleTap 335 gr. WFN +P loads when in these areas. I believe it is an acceptable compromise for when having a rifle in hand is not an option (flyfishing, bowhunting elk, actively quartering game, conducting camp chores, etc.). With a good holster it is easy to carry.

I have had several close interactions with bears in these areas, luckily none have become aggressive to the point of having to shoot. I did not feel under gunned with the Ruger Redhawk. I have shot a few large boar with this revolver and load with great success.

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
In the event anyone is considering the barrel porting by C&S, be aware there is an 18 month wait to have this work done.

I was expecting 2-3 months, but was gobsmacked when I read 18 months. I need to get out of IT and do this for a living. :D

As much as I'd like to do this, and the deposit is only $50, 18 months is just too far in the future to consider.

Eddie

ldmay375

FNG
I would think that should work.
I feel relatively/reasonably at ease with a heavier loaded 45 Colt, in single or double action. As a companion revolver, I frequently carry a single and / or double action 45 Colt revolver with barrel lengths from 3.75 to 5.5”.
The 3.75 to 5” are probably my favorites.

The 480 Rugers with barrel lengths in the 4-5/8 to 5” range are also favorites.
Over the last dozen years, I have spent considerable time in NW Wyoming backcountry (fishing, elk and deer hunting), and a few DIY fishing trips to AK. I have chosen to carry a 4" Ruger Redhawk, 45 Colt, loaded with DoubleTap 335 gr. WFN +P loads when in these areas. I believe it is an acceptable compromise for when having a rifle in hand is not an option (flyfishing, bowhunting elk, actively quartering game, conducting camp chores, etc.). With a good holster it is easy to carry.

I have had several close interactions with bears in these areas, luckily none have become aggressive to the point of having to shoot. I did not feel under gunned with the Ruger Redhawk. I have shot a few large boar with this revolver and load with great success.

I carried a 6" 629 loaded with hard cast lead for years in northern Idaho and Montana for hunting and hiking. I really hated the weight and imbalance of carrying it on either hip, so I downsized to a 5" 686 loaded with hard cast lead. It's way nicer to carry and recoil and follow up shots much better. Especially on long bowhunts. Loads from this penetrate green pine just as deep as the 44 loads. Fish and game claims most of the brown bears up here are only 300 to 400lbs. Not the 1000lb coastals. Hope this helps.