Best wheel gun setup for griz protection?

S&W in .44 mag for most. S&W 500 mag if you happen to be a giant who feels no pain or just simply hate your wrists and love carrying a lot of weight.

I am neither a giant nor do I wish to abuse my wrists, but I’m not a limp wrist either, and I can honestly say that this .500 does not produce extremely unpleasant recoil. It’s definitely not something that you’re going to want run a couple dozen rounds down the tube in a single session, but the recoil is very manageable. I have a Ruger Super Blackhawk that is not a whole lot easier to shoot, IMO. As stated before, if I’m in the situation of having to defend myself from a brown bear attack, I’d much rather have 440gr. of hard cast lead with 3525 ft. lbs. of energy than 240gr. with 1280 ft. lbs. Anyway, that’s where I stand, and as far as I’m concerned, my .500 has already paid for itself. Here’s a few pics for size comparison.

61ecccb1578a8cec93fd4c2e9e61b20b.jpg

3c42d42d0e339a04535fd180cb848b13.jpg

f97f023d32b00ae8875d976d3e24f7a4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Mk7mmSTW

WKR
Glocks are designed to run dirty, I’ve never had an issue and I don’t take care of my glocks. There are plenty of torture tests for n YouTube as well.

It’s worth pointing out that if a pistol fails to cycle, you can just rack it and it’s good to go usually, if a revolver locks up because a bullet backed out, you are not getting it back in service anytime soon.

I have 3 Glock20s and carry them everywhere, when I’m rafting, jet boating, hunting, snow machining, fishing, they get dunked, covered in snow, rained on and I don’t ever clean them up, I just hang dry them when I get home. Never had an issue, they are made for that.
I love glocks, with the 20 being my all time favorite!! BUT this is about the most one sided auto/revolver comparison ever... glocks are bullet proof but any auto can get knocked out of battery, especially in a tussle. Hell with one hand grabbing the front of the slide the gun is fully disabled... you can’t even press a Glock again a human/bear and get it to fire every time! where as revolver will go bang every time against something. comparing if it jams up you can “usually” just rack it to a bullet unseating in a revolver is pretty funny as one happens far far more than the other.
Again, glocks are the finest auto made and I’m one of their biggest fans, but talking like a Glock is more reliable than a revolver, especially in a defense situation is just silly talk 😂😂😂😂

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I love glocks, with the 20 being my all time favorite!! BUT this is about the most one sided auto/revolver comparison ever... glocks are bullet proof but any auto can get knocked out of battery, especially in a tussle. Hell with one hand grabbing the front of the slide the gun is fully disabled... you can’t even press a Glock again a human/bear and get it to fire every time! where as revolver will go bang every time against something. comparing if it jams up you can “usually” just rack it to a bullet unseating in a revolver is pretty funny as one happens far far more than the other.
Again, glocks are the finest auto made and I’m one of their biggest fans, but talking like a Glock is more reliable than a revolver, especially in a defense situation is just silly talk 😂😂😂😂

Ok

Last edited:

280ack

FNG
Good discussions !
I like a revolver because of the encounters I've read about many are close proximity encounters. I define this as wrestling around, as we have all seen in video once a bear or a cat has you they maintain contact until the prey is lifeless. I can imagine that trying to stuff an auto loader into the fur of a bear will cause the slide to go "out of battery" and thus the gun will not fire. I can also imagine that the slide may not be able to cycle because it doesnt have the room when your in a "bear hug" and a failure to eject may occur and cause a stove pipe or an "out of battery" malfunction. The grip, the orientation of the gun to the web of the firing hand and the ability to give the pistol something to recoil against in order to function as in strip a round out of the magazine and into the chamber is essential. At boot camp they refereed to this a "limp wristing it" and a 1911 would not function.
Auto loaders require 2 hands to recover from a malfunction, or other time consuming remedies taking 45 sec to 2 min on average with one hand. I have also seen people under stress eject magazines unintentionally, that stops everything .
While my EDC and preferred duty weapons are auto's, with a revolver all you have to do is pull the trigger, everything that has to happen for functioning does not rely on more space to function, a proper grip or anything that will render the pistol out of battery.

Marbles

WK Donkey
Classified Approved
I have the Diamond D chest holster, but found it leaves one shoulder sore if used all day. So I have been using a Diamond D belt holster, which has worked well. Here is another option I just picked up.
20210325_121056.jpg20210325_121209.jpg

It is a Hill People Gear Kit Bag. Probably will not use it hunting as I like my binocular chest pack, but will be nice for front country hiking when I don't want to open carry.

The Ruger Toklat is too large and that 4 inch barrel S&W is almost too big.

I have the Diamond D chest holster, but found it leaves one shoulder sore if used all day. So I have been using a Diamond D belt holster, which has worked well. Here is another option I just picked up.
View attachment 277034View attachment 277035

It is a Hill People Gear Kit Bag. Probably will not use it hunting as I like my binocular chest pack, but will be nice for front country hiking when I don't want to open carry.

The Ruger Toklat is too large and that 4 inch barrel S&W is almost too big.

I’ve had that problem before with my DD and found that if I just tighten it up a little more around my chest/belly, and have the shoulder strap just snug, it alleviates any shoulder discomfort. It also helps a lot when trying to pull the pistol out of the holster, as it keeps the holster from moving up as you’re trying to unholster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kobuk

Lil-Rokslider
I like my Diamond D as well. I also have a Galco DAO holster that lets me carry strong side or cross draw when I don't want to carry on my chest. I also believe that if we are attacked, we are screwed. I guess carrying a revolver is kind of like a pacifier in that it just makes me feel better. I've had some false charges and surprise "woofs" and thank God that is all they were! haha It sure happens fast!

Need advice 329pd vs Raging Bull 444. Is the extra cost of the 329pd worth it? Weight is only 3oz more to the 444. Pros vs Cons of each? Other things to consider? I have a 460V so shooting a large bore revolver is not foreign. Thanks for any insight.

z987k

WKR
Need advice 329pd vs Raging Bull 444. Is the extra cost of the 329pd worth it? Weight is only 3oz more to the 444. Pros vs Cons of each? Other things to consider? I have a 460V so shooting a large bore revolver is not foreign. Thanks for any insight.
I don't know if you'll notice the 3oz or not. The 329pd has significantly more recoil than a SW460 or 500 for what that's worth. I really like my 329, and I've never shot a Tarus, but I'm a fan of how the S&W revolvers fit my hand.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I too think it comes down more to Taurus vs Smith; I've been shooting Smith revolvers for 40+ years and see no reason to switch

JiminAZ

FNG
I have been carrying a 329 PD in Alaska for years. Before that I had a Ruger Redhawk 5.5" 44 mag.

I have fired the 454 Casull, etc and while more powerful, for me the 44 mag is the best answer, and the 329 PD carries nice, and I have some confidence in the HSM ammo I carry.

I have considered carrying a 460 Rowland conversion - either 1911 or XD based.

Shooting a revolver well is just like anything else, you have to practice.

With that said, when you see a brown bear whether 200 yards away or 20 yards, your first thought is "I wish I had a big-ass rifle about now".

I have a 6" S&W 629 and Double Tap bear loads but I feel a lot safer with my Benelli M2 12ga semi auto with short ghost ring sight barrel and 3" Brenneke black magic bear shells. It's light fast and lay down a bunch of heavy lead in a hurry. These shells have 3000 ftlbs of energy.

Titanium Taurus in .44 mag....41, etc.
Forego the weight of a long barreled stainless (or blued) revolver on your hip or harness. I can speak from experience. I did if for a decade in Alaska and honestly, it was stupidity.
What have you found for a holster tho.

I've had an ultralite for years. Had a local guy make me a kydex belt holster but I can find anything for the chest.

z987k

WKR
I have a 6" S&W 629 and Double Tap bear loads but I feel a lot safer with my Benelli M2 12ga semi auto with short ghost ring sight barrel and 3" Brenneke black magic bear shells. It's light fast and lay down a bunch of heavy lead in a hurry. These shells have 3000 ftlbs of energy.
But now you're carrying a shotgun. Which you'll never do on a hike and is redundant when you've got a rifle for hunting with you.

Flyrodr

FNG
My apologies if I missed most of the following earlier in the thread. Seems though, that the focus should be on which gun an individual can shoot accurately and quickly, having the most power so controllable. Googled grizzly running speed, and it was 35 mph, or 50+ fps. So if a grizzly broke out of cover 25 yds away, moving toward you at full speed, you'd have about a second and a half to react, draw, fire and hit the thing (assuming my math is close). Presuming a head shot would stop or at least turn the critter, perhaps the question becomes is there a gun that can be drawn and one or more shots placed into a 12-inch circle (or whatever size a grizzly's head is; I confess to never being close than across a valley from one) before the bear's jaws and paws reach you. I have smallish hands, and find it tough to fire large revolvers quickly and accurately. I do better with thin-sided auto with shorter trigger reach, so would probably opt for a G29/G20, with a red dot (old eyes too). Not the best choice energy-wise, but assuming I had a good holster placement, I'd feel like there was a higher probability of drawing and getting hits.

Whatever your chosen set-up, try putting three shots on a paper plate from the draw within a couple of seconds. Or 20 yards. Think of it as needing to be as proficient with the handgun as the rifle you practice with. Except sort of like your life depended on it.