Best WA state big game compliant (0.24 / 6mm) caliber + rifle with factory ammo

WaWox

FNG
I hope not redundant, didnt find it via search.
I live in WA, realistically, most of my hunting days will be in WA, and I don't think I can afford the space and time (and also money) for setting up a handloading situation (3 little kids!). But I have been pretty convinced by what's routinely discussed here regarding smaller calibers doing the trick.

So presumably, the closest we can get to 6UM is a 6mm Creedmoor?

Looks like one way to get that is 6.5 cm tikka + new barrel. What other options am I missing? Just stick with trusty 6.5 CM in tikka and skip the hassle? 243?

Bonus points: what if WA goes to lead free regulation in 5 years? 6mm CM sounds like a good option for that too, right?

The Guide

WKR
My personal suggestion would be get a Tikka T3X Lite in Stainless Steel chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor and shoot the heck out of it. Get the 24 inch barrel so you have enough meat to cut and thread it for a suppressor or brake in the future. Get the Limbsaver recoil pad and the factory stock becomes a pleasure to shoot. Ammo is available from as low as $1.00 each. Barnes and Hornady both have good lead free options. Once you have it and have shot it a bunch, you can decide if you want to step down to the 6CM. I love my 6CM as much as the 6.5CM but the factory ammo options aren't quite as good. The Barnes 95 grain LRX loaded ammo is a lightning bolt in the 6CM and is a great lead free option. If you don't handload and don't want to pay big money to boutique ammo companies, the fast twist 243 isn't really worth it due to a lack of heavy for caliber offerings in factory ammo.

Jay

OP
W

WaWox

FNG
Thanks Jay!
That does check out and matches what I had looked into. I already own exactly that tikka (with limbsaver!) in 7mm rem mag, so thats definitely the way i want to go.

Spoonbill

WKR
Any .473 bolt face tikka can be rebarrelled to a 6cm, if you find a deal on one then a rebarrel to a 6cm is pretty simple. @The Guide ‘s advice is pretty spot on on the 6.5cm with factory ammo from what I have seen. If you can afford to buy it, a 223 tikka would be great for practice, it was one of the best gun purchases I have made.

I bought a CZ 600 Range in 6Creed and it is amazing.
My son has the CZ 600 Alpha in .308 and it has been fantastic.
The Alpha can be had in 6Cr with a 7 twist...I have two Tikkas and other than weight, this rifle competes with them.

DisplacedHusky

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a CZ 600 Range in 6Creed and it is amazing.
My son has the CZ 600 Alpha in .308 and it has been fantastic.
The Alpha can be had in 6Cr with a 7 twist...I have two Tikkas and other than weight, this rifle competes with them.
I would be interested to hear a more in depth review of CZs. They seem like an easy way to get into 6 Creed.

eric1115

WKR
I'd take a look at 6mmARC as well. Can be had in factory Howa mini action rifles, cheap easy good factory ammunition (the 108 ELDM is a killer bullet). Fantastic shooting, stays above 1800 fps to 600+ at my elevation. It's also the best factory option for a WA legal kid rifle when your little ones get not so little. It happens so much faster than we think it will.

How far do you see wanting to shoot game?

Do you have a suppressor (or will you be getting one)? I'd take a suppressed 6.5CM over a bare muzzle 6CM. Suppressed 6CM is really nice, and suppressed 6mmARC is amazing.

mtnbound

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks Jay!
That does check out and matches what I had looked into. I already own exactly that tikka (with limbsaver!) in 7mm rem mag, so thats definitely the way i want to go.

If you reload that opens the door up for both to be maximized. If you’re not going to reload then the 6.5CM has more options for factory ammo. Easy button is 6.5CM and shoot the crap out of it.

As far as factory 6mm Creedmoors go, the CZs in 6mm Creedmoor are around $650-1200, depending on the model. Ruger American Gen 2's about $750. Savage makes a 6mm Creed 110 for around $1000, I think. Bergara makes a pretty solid gun in the Sierra Wilderness, for around $1100. Next step up would probably be a Seekins Havak.

As far as factory 6mm Creedmoor loadings go, Hornady, Nosler, Norma, and Sig all load for it: https://ammoseek.com/ammo/6mm-creedmoor