Best Treestands

jspradley

WKR
Another reason for the inexpensive climbing stands combined with sticks.Swap out the seat with a Hazmore drop in and any stand is all day comfortable.
Good idea. TX public land has quite the reputation for honesty and integrity amongst fellow hunters... having my $400 stand stolen because I walked away from it for 2 hours would not be good.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Sodbuster

WKR
jspradley

Good idea. TX public land has quite the reputation for honesty and integrity amongst fellow hunters... having my $400 stand stolen because I walked away from it for 2 hours would not be good.

For sure.Thieves blow.

Marshmstr

Lil-Rokslider
For a lok-on you can't beat a millennium......I sure wouldn't want one of those stolen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

woods89

WKR
I'm looking to take the plunge into my first tree stand this year and I'm definitely following this thread!!

I was eyeing those aero hunters today, are they comfortable for sitting for hours? Have you used one for bow hunting or rifle only?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

As far as sitting in them for hours, that's highly dependant on the user and how well you have everything adjusted. Some guys try them and love them and some people can't ever get comfortable. One common theme seems to be that people in good shape find a lot more success with them as it is a physically demanding way to hunt. I've done some long sits in mine and been fine. Good knee pads and some practice with it go a long way.

The advantages to me are:

A more natural silhouette in the tree
The ability to hide behind the tree as game is coming in.
A wide natural feeling shooting range
Packability
Ability to hang in almost any tree

The cons are:

Public land guys who can't use screw in steps to stand on need more options
Price ( quality is on par with kifaru, I would say, though. These guys have made arborist's saddles for years.)
A learning curve that takes some patience.
Some people complain that they fidget more in the tree.

The real guru of saddle hunters is actually on here, he just hasn't promoted his expertise at all. His screen name is Boudreaux, and I've seen him posting on this site recently. A PM to him would get you way more info than I have. He's saddle hunted for years, and worked with New Tribe on the last aero hunter upgrade.

Poser

WKR
I have used a Tree Saddle for years. On public land, I use Cranford Strap-On steps. I space them Out pretty good and use a Black Diamond etrier (rock climbing gear -ladder made from webbing) so that I can place the step above me above my head and cheat the distance. I can get about 7-8 feet per step that way. 4 placements get me up and then 3-4 steps for a platform.

woods89

WKR
I have used a Tree Saddle for years. On public land, I use Cranford Strap-On steps. I space them Out pretty good and use a Black Diamond etrier (rock climbing gear -ladder made from webbing) so that I can place the step above me above my head and cheat the distance. I can get about 7-8 feet per step that way. 4 placements get me up and then 3-4 steps for a platform.

Another saddle hunter!

I use some diy sticks to get up the tree and then those cranford strap on steps to stand on. My only complaint is that they're heavy.

I always feel like a tree ninja when I use my saddle........

Sodbuster

WKR
I have two Tree Saddles also. I set them up and tested them here in Missouri but never hunted out of them.
They now live in Alaska as I wanted to try them in my buddy's Moose camp.
Got rained out last year and didn't get to go this year.
A little height in that terrain makes a lot of difference.
Great concept for lightest weight tree hunters.

Millennium for me. Never sat in a Lone Wolf but I have sat in my Millennium for 13 hours straight. I don't think I could do that in my cheapo depot stands.

The tree steps by Jim Stepp ( Stepp ladder) are pretty handy once you learn the knot used to attach them. You can see them on youtube.

OP
F
I have thought about using a climber base with sticks and different seat. Only issue is most of the time the weight works out to being close to a hang on. I will never use a climber as a climber again. I have had two come out from under me, I do not like cutting branches on the way up and straight trees are never where I want to be.

From the sound of it, I should find a tree saddle and try it out. What is the longest anyone has been in one, especially the really cold days (0 to -20)?

Whitetaildown215

Lil-Rokslider
Last year I bought a millennium m100u for public land. Weighs 11 pounds and very comfortable. I also grabbed the ratchet strap to use instead of the chain that comes with it, best money I've spent in a stand in years. Since no one close had any muddy sticks I got forest river sticks and it has served me well so far.

ChrisA

WKR
Last year I bought a millennium m100u for public land. Weighs 11 pounds and very comfortable. I also grabbed the ratchet strap to use instead of the chain that comes with it, best money I've spent in a stand in years. Since no one close had any muddy sticks I got forest river sticks and it has served me well so far.

A review stated that the millennium ratchet strap was loud. What's your thoughts on the noise level?

Muleys32

Lil-Rokslider
Which millennium stand is the best one? For typical year round use? Private land, not a whole lot of moving around?

rgroves79

Lil-Rokslider
Love my Summit climber. Rock solid in the tree. Not as adjustable or as quiet as a LW but a very good stand. I like being mobile with a climber but it definitely limits the type of tree you can be in - straight and usually not a lot of cover. A hang-on and sticks will allow you to get into a greater variety of trees and be able to tuck into branches for cover. I bought a stand and some 30" sticks out of Sportsmans Guide a couple of years ago and it works just fine. Definitely not a light system, or the most comfortable seat, but it does the trick and they are cheap enough ($90ish for 6 sticks and a stand) that you can own a few to have for different spots.