Best non-Tikka lightweight rifle under $1500 today?

KenLee

WKR
I own a TC Compass in 6.5 CM that I bought on sale plus a $75 Rebate.
Gun cost me after FFL/Shipping $225.

I got around .40-.75” groups at 100 yards with handloads. The stock and action is cheap, but a sub $250 truck gun that averages .5” MOA ....

The value is in the 5R Rifling. Change the stock and bolt handle, adjust the trigger springs and it will give Tikkas a run for their money for half the price.
Yep I bought a 7mm-08 and creedmoor on same deal about 3-4 yrs ago. You can't find em cheap anymore.

Last edited:
OP
Newtosavage
Finally mounted my scope yesterday when my Talley rings came in.

.308 Savage Ultralight / Talley medium rings with front extended / Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40 scope

Weight = 6 lbs. 15 oz.

Balance is perfect.

Eventually I'll find a Swaro Z3 to put on it, but for now I am really liking this rig. I'll know more after today's range session.

I'd recommend a browning xbolt for a hunting rifle. The speed model should be close to that 6.5 lb mark. They have lots of other options in the xbolt line.

KenLee

WKR
I agree with Form, for the price the Sauer 100 is the only real competitor, just comparing the action and trigger of tikka/sauer vs savage action and accutrigger is night and day difference

For the money, sauer 100 is the best overall value I have seen

I'd own one if the length of pull wasn't 3/4 inch too long. 14.5 inch standard lop for a hunting rifle is crazy.

jamesmc8

Lil-Rokslider
Late to the party but swapped my older Savage DIY 280 AI build for a Savage Ultralight in the same caliber. I like it just as well as my Tikka. The Tikka has a smoother action but the Savage is more accurate. Every single hand load I have tried is sub MOA and pretty quick and easy to find loads in the 0.5MOA range. To me the Tikka and Savage triggers are about equal, I am able to adjust the accutrigger a bit lighter, not enough difference to fuss about. I am waiting on a Nightforce SHV 3-10 for this set-up which should be right around 8lbs.

For a superlight build I am in process of putting together a Howa Mini Action set-up in 6mm ARC. This will be a deer/antelope packing gun good out to 400-500 yards max. Put it in a Stockys CF VG stock and the bare rifle/stock weighs in at 5lb 4oz. Two stage trigger is fine and breaks nice and clean at 2.5 lbs. I have a SWFA UL 2.5-10x32 on backorder. However thinking I may cancel that order and go with a Trijicon Accupoint 3-9x40. The SWFA is lighter but the Accupoint seems to have better glass and light gathering, especially at higher mag and better eye relief. Thoughts on these scope options?

I will post up some pics and summary of the build when I get it all done.

KenLee

WKR
Late to the party but swapped my older Savage DIY 280 AI build for a Savage Ultralight in the same caliber. I like it just as well as my Tikka. The Tikka has a smoother action but the Savage is more accurate. Every single hand load I have tried is sub MOA and pretty quick and easy to find loads in the 0.5MOA range. To me the Tikka and Savage triggers are about equal, I am able to adjust the accutrigger a bit lighter, not enough difference to fuss about. I am waiting on a Nightforce SHV 3-10 for this set-up which should be right around 8lbs.

For a superlight build I am in process of putting together a Howa Mini Action set-up in 6mm ARC. This will be a deer/antelope packing gun good out to 400-500 yards max. Put it in a Stockys CF VG stock and the bare rifle/stock weighs in at 5lb 4oz. Two stage trigger is fine and breaks nice and clean at 2.5 lbs. I have a SWFA UL 2.5-10x32 on backorder. However thinking I may cancel that order and go with a Trijicon Accupoint 3-9x40. The SWFA is lighter but the Accupoint seems to have better glass and light gathering, especially at higher mag and better eye relief. Thoughts on these scope options?

I will post up some pics and summary of the build when I get it all done.
A 13 oz tried and true Accupoint with illuminated dot is hard to beat.

I once owned a Tikka t3x super light with the fluted barrel. A hellscanyon speed. A ruger American and a older savage ultralight (ss barrel one that weighed like 5.5lbs). When I took them all to the range, that American outshot all of them. It was a little heavier but not that much heavier than the Tikka and the Hells canyon.

All rifles used multiple ammo choices and were shot out of a lead sled.

I ended up keeping the savage and the American.

jamesmc8

Lil-Rokslider
A 13 oz tried and true Accupoint with illuminated dot is hard to beat.
Yeah that is the way I am leaning! With their duplex and green dot I can sight in at 200yds, six inch hold over at 300 yards and bottom post is 4.3 MOA which for my rifle is perfect for a 400 yard hold. Add a Kenton speed dial for back up.... might just have to pull the trigger.