Best Mono Bullet for Hunting/Effective Kills

TaperPin

WKR
It’s probably only a matter of time before we’re all forced to shoot mono’s. I don’t mind - they work pretty good in a fast stepping cartridge, but the hole isn’t huge so I’ve always felt a step up in caliber isnt a bad idea.

jhm2023

WKR
I've shot a lot of stuff with Barnes TSX, TTSX, and LRX and have always liked them a lot. The last 4 or 5 years I've been shooting Lehigh controlled chaos, CEB maximus and Hammer hunters and have shot a lot of stuff with them as well. I definitely prefer the shedding petal design over the retained petals as they kill faster and give a little more margin for error in my experience. Also, the lathe turned bullets are more consistent than swaged ones. Hammers are my favorite in my bolt guns and Lehigh controlled chaos in my ARs since they are a bit cheaper and slightly harder copper to resist nose damage.

JFK

WKR
Also a resident of Ca and have to use monos. I’m fairly certain they aren’t the fastest killing bullets, but frankly I’ve had good experiences with them locally and out of state…all from a 270. Deer, lots of pigs, antelope and elk. I’ve only had one rodeo and it was a big boar I shot that was actively in a fight with another pig, so I think he was all jacked up and just didn’t want to die. Still recovered though. Everything else has fallen within a very reasonable distance, or is dead on the spot.

I will add that light for cartridge monos are a good way to go if you are pretty confident in shorter shot distance….say sub 400 yards with not a lot of wind. By far the nastiest load I’ve worked up has been the 110gr ttsx and light hammers out of the 270. I currently shoot the 129gr lrx.

Thegman

WKR
I will add that light for cartridge monos are a good way to go if you are pretty confident in shorter shot distance….say sub 400 yards with not a lot of wind. By far the nastiest load I’ve worked up has been the 110gr ttsx and light hammers out of the 270. I currently shoot the 129gr lrx.

I'd second this. From 308/30-06 I've used 180, 165, 150, and 130 Barnes
150 GMX
150 E-tip

The 130 Barnes at 3,100 seemed to make the largest entrances/exits and greatest amount of damage in between. They worked -very- well.

rideold

WKR
Factory and hand loaded 168 gr TTSX in 30-06 and 120 gr TTSX in 6.5CM have been successful for me. Four deer (two with each caliber) and all shots under 200 yards and full pass through both lungs. All died within 10 or 20 yards. I've a notion to switch to the Hammers for the shedding petals but I have a bit of a stock of the TTSX at the moment.

THellURider

Lil-Rokslider
I've killed a whole lot of game with a 180gr Barnes X from a .300 Weatherby and always seen near 100% weight retention and perfect mushroom performance.

Currently bummed I can't find a factory Barnes load in 7 PRC.

JakeSCH

WKR
I have been using hammers successfully for the last few years, but I am going to try McGuire in my new 7prc due to their higher BC.

DiabeticKripple

Lil-Rokslider
ive ran the GMX for one year (killed 1 WT doe and 1 WT buck) then switched to the TTSX and ran that for several years and killed a few animals every year with them, and now im onto the LRX.

Ive had numerous bang flops, the majority run and die within 50yds. its hasnt been very hard to find them either, even in thick bush.

Mono's are very popular up here, and we dont have any restrictions on lead use. They work and they work good.

Aim for the < right between the humerus and scapula. Think of a grapefruit suspended between the front legs that is 1/3 the way up the body.

I’ve hit animals in this location with Hammers that couldn’t make three steps before they were stumbling.

Edit, I drew this with my finger, in the real world I’d shift POA to the left about an inch or two.
View attachment 727086
That is a great spot with monos. Could even go 1" to the right.

I have used the Hornady GMX/CX with great results but all higher impact velocities and shoulder placed shots. I am trying out DRT in a few calibers this fall and am excited about a frangible non lead option.

A new one you may want to Look into (full disclosure I have not tried this yet but it’s on my list to test) is McGuire copper rose. These seem to have good reviews on performance on game and ease of loading for them. Recently, they posted a 6.5 prc gel test that had an impressive wound channel in the test. https://www.mcguireballistics.com/

waspocrew

Lil-Rokslider
Can't say I'm a mono guy, but I did take 4 animals with the 267 gr Hammer HHT out of my 338 RUM last fall. They shot very well for me and I have no problems with their performance.