Best lightweight hooded fishing shirt for sun protection

ACHILLES

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been wearing free fly bambo with the hood under my fr’s at work, very comfortable fit well, and dry out fast. The hood fits my head and does a good job staying in place with wind and also fit well over a hat.

ForlohFamily

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Love my Forloh SolAir Hoodie USA made, UPF 50+, and a few other cool techy things built in.
Thanks for supporting made in America gear. Please check out our new graphic hooded fishing shirts.

ForlohFamily

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Looking for recommendations for a lightweight hooded fishing shirt. Must be extremely lightweight and comfortable. I fish offshore and inshore in NC/VA and have had several bouts with skin cancer so covering up is a must for me. I have several already and my favorite is made by HUK. Some of them are made of heavier material and are too hot to wear in the middle of summer. Curious to hear others opinions on which brand they prefer for the hottest days of summer.

WyoKid

WKR
Looking for recommendations for a lightweight hooded fishing shirt. Must be extremely lightweight and comfortable. I fish offshore and inshore in NC/VA and have had several bouts with skin cancer so covering up is a must for me. I have several already and my favorite is made by HUK. Some of them are made of heavier material and are too hot to wear in the middle of summer. Curious to hear others opinions on which brand they prefer for the hottest days of summer.

I like Huk but found Koofin and Columbia work well and are cheaper. Less variety in color and patterns but I stick with neutral colors anyway.

schmalzy

WKR
Haven’t tried that one m, but it’s on my radar.
Does it have the same seam at the neck as the echo? That’s a bit of an unfortunate design.

Finally got one in and spent a few days in it. Really like it, prefer it to to BF alpenglow personally. Fabric seems better suited for my uses. The hood is decent but not as fitted as I’d like, but ultimately works for my purposes. I’ll be ordering another.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thought I’d share my thoughts on the BD Alpenglow after giving it some use. This is a piece designed for rock climbing where you are exposed to abrasion and the elements so the fabric leans towards being durable not breathable. Side mesh and half zip help a lot with temperature regulation but the hood creates a barrier trapping moisture that fogs eyeglasses, sunglasses etc. Back to the side mesh, wearing my rain jacket w/pit zips open over it this morning to cut the chill works really well to vent.

Again the fabric is dense so it’s great for cutting a bit of wind and providing sun protection but it is a sweat box against your pack. I would like a mesh fabric there too but it would probably be overkill when you don’t have a pack on.

Not my first choice for hot and humid weather but a pretty good option for high altitude endeavors.

scottc2u

FNG
Americanfishinggear.com has some nice performance fishing hoodies

hammerco

FNG
Little late to the party, but the Voormi comment made me think of it. Another American-made option: the Sun Hoody from NW Alpine in Oregon is really nice. Supremely breathable and the hood has great coverage. It's become my go-to for both glaciers and rivers.