Best lightweight hooded fishing shirt for sun protection

Black Diamond AlpenGlow Pro is the best sun hoody on the market: mesh armpits, quarter zip, but the features that separates it from every other brand I have tried is the multi panel hood which “hooks” under your hat bill and stays out for the most shade across your face. The non paneled hoods get caught in the wind. The OR hoods are too tight and don’t cast much of a shadow.

260bd8d5a79c0dd1efebacb7ed5fbb09.jpg
Ordered one of these on your suggestion. Blows by Sitka core lightweight and stone glacier synthetic hoodies out of the water.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ordered one of these on your suggestion. Blows by Sitka core lightweight and stone glacier synthetic hoodies out of the water.
I’m tempted to try one myself, what specifically do you like better?

I’m tempted to try one myself, what specifically do you like better?
I really like the mesh side panels and under arms. It’s similar to my SG synthetic hoody but those and the small chest zipper really stand out. I like my Sitka Core lightweight but it’s a bit delicate and I tend to tear them up pretty quickly just moving through brush

schmalzy

WKR

Alright I just ordered a few to try out as well. I mostly like the Sitka and like the SG more, so hoping these will live up to the hype.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alright I just ordered a few to try out as well. I mostly like the Sitka and like the SG more, so hoping these will live up to the hype.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think you’ll be happy. It’s kind of the best of both in my opinion.

sconnieVLP

Lil-Rokslider
Came here to post the Alpenglow Pro, saw it’s been well covered. I’m a big fan of the cut of the hood, the existence/size of the zipper, the vented material in the armpits, and the cut of it. Hands down my favorite sun shirt and just ordered a second one in a different color.

Poser

WKR
While you guys are checking out the BD sun hoody, another piece by them I’ve found incredibly useful in the backcountry this spring and summer is the alpine Start jacket. It’s praises being sung by other rocksliders who put it on my radar and it’s been in my pack for spring skiing, peak bagging, fishing, backpacking since. Super practical layer for cool morning starts and especially wind. It’s no replacement for a rain jacket, but at 6 ounces (or whatever), it proves itself to be useful.

Poser

WKR

Glad that you agree. I keep wanting to find a sun hoody by another brand that’s equal, but I haven’t seen it, so I just keep buying more BDs whenever they are on sale. I have one that was originally blue, but it’s been so bleached by the alpine sun that it’s almost white.

sr80

WKR
i just got the fjallraven abisko sun hoody yesterday. I havent been out hiking in it yet but intial impressions , it seems nice. The hood has kind of a brim to it stay put on your hat bill. Another thing that stood out is that its not your typical slippery poly feeling fabric.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
While you guys are checking out the BD sun hoody, another piece by them I’ve found incredibly useful in the backcountry this spring and summer is the alpine Start jacket. It’s praises being sung by other rocksliders who put it on my radar and it’s been in my pack for spring skiing, peak bagging, fishing, backpacking since. Super practical layer for cool morning starts and especially wind. It’s no replacement for a rain jacket, but at 6 ounces (or whatever), it proves itself to be useful.
Not having anything comparable to the alpine start but owning a couple other sun hoodies which would you say brings more versatility?

dkell

FNG
Duck camp lightweight bamboo hoody and Vortex sun slayer have been money for me. Super hot days simms guide pants paired up and it keeps me pretty comfortable. That duck camp hoody is super soft.

Poser

WKR
Not having anything comparable to the alpine start but owning a couple other sun hoodies which would you say brings more versatility?

If you already own some sun hoodies and are content with their performance, then the alpine start jacket is probably a more versatile addition since a sun hoody is basically a one trick pony for when it’s hot/sunny out.

I will say that you get your alpine start jacket in, open it up, you’re going to ask yourself, “what am I going to do with this ~$130+ piece of paper i just bought?”
It seems so thin and light that it may be useless. Start carrying it around and you’ll find yourself wearing it in numerous situations.

Felton

WKR
Thanks for all the replies. I ended up buying a Pelagic hoodie. It is ultralight and has vented arm pits which is just what I was looking for but didn't know existed. Super comfortable and cool.
I’m sure you’ll be happy, they are great shirts. They do seem to get stained, shout is your friend.

Anybody looking for an alpenglow pro in size large? I’m thinking a medium would suit me better but I can’t find one in green for sale anywhere

My two favorites are the Aftco Samurai Hoody, and the Huk A1A Hoody.