Best lightweight hooded fishing shirt for sun protection

Gman12

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for recommendations for a lightweight hooded fishing shirt. Must be extremely lightweight and comfortable. I fish offshore and inshore in NC/VA and have had several bouts with skin cancer so covering up is a must for me. I have several already and my favorite is made by HUK. Some of them are made of heavier material and are too hot to wear in the middle of summer. Curious to hear others opinions on which brand they prefer for the hottest days of summer.

Deli

Lil-Rokslider
The OR echo hoodie is very good but only offers spf of 20 I believe. It's the lightest I've found though.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

I've tried tried quite a few different ones. Hopefully this will be helpful:

Coolest to warmest
1. OR Echo Hoody
2. Sitka Core LW Hoody (zip helps a ton)
3. Patagonia Capilene Cool Daily
4. Black Ovis Light Merino
5. FL Wick
6. Baleaf Sun Hoody (Amazon).

The latter has great sun coverage but is a complete smoker when it's hot out as it breathes terribly.
I'd vote the Patagonia Capilene if you're looking for a balance between sun protection/provide some coolness when fishing. There's a few others out (Black Diamond makes a zip, Kuhl makes a good 'air shirt', and others), but I don't have experience with any of those.

Orvis has some great ones. Pricy but super comfortable. I have the Drirelease one and its really good in the heat. Really well made also and can find a decent cost from sales.

I really like the Simms SolarFlex and would also recommend the Sitka Core LW Hoodie

nosajnh

FNG
I like the Vortex Sun Slayer UPF 50. I like the rubberized grippy strip around the rim of the hoody that holds it in place. Some of the hoods are too floppy.

A.hol1

Lil-Rokslider
One more for the vortex sun slayer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

P Carter

WKR
I have the ketl mountain nofry and it is nice. Similar fabric to the Sitka lw hoodie but a tad lighter. Bigger hood, also. Price is right.

WoodBow

WKR
I'm in texas and using the sitka core lightweight hoodie. I agree that the half zip helps a lot (when sun isn't shining on chest). I like to get it wet, wring it out, and put it back on.

You didn't mention pants but I like the kuiu tiburon pants a lot for hot weather fishing. The air dot fabric is ideal.

Down here on the coast we pretty much live in long sleeve hoodies for days at a time. I have pretty much every brand, some of my favorites are a little heavier though and typically have pockets. Lots of my shirts have facemask built-in but I tend to shy away from those because if I'm not wearing them they'll bunch up around the neck. Somewhere along the line I picked up a bunch of the Kuiu Tech hoodies for everyone when they had them for $30 on sale and they're actually a pretty solid option. I like a couple of the AFTCO shirts quite a bit as well.

sndmn11

WKR
Looking for recommendations for a lightweight hooded fishing shirt. Must be extremely lightweight and comfortable. I fish offshore and inshore in NC/VA and have had several bouts with skin cancer so covering up is a must for me. I have several already and my favorite is made by HUK. Some of them are made of heavier material and are too hot to wear in the middle of summer. Curious to hear others opinions on which brand they prefer for the hottest days of summer.
This is one of my clients https://skwalafishing.com/collections/shirts

I am liking the tactical hoody quite a bit and have been running in it to see how well it breathes and then dries. Great so far, and I will probably archery hunt it in.

Windrunner17

Lil-Rokslider
I absolutely love the Duck Camp lightweight bamboo hoodies. Very light, very cool, very comfortable. It's UPF20+. I use them fishing, boating, kayaking, etc. Cost $64, but you can find sales every once in a while that make them more affordable and if you're a first time customer i think there's a code for 10% off.

The original bamboo hoodies are slightly heavier and warmer and bump the UPF up to 30+. Both are comfortable for me on the water.

TxxAgg

WKR
I absolutely love the Duck Camp lightweight bamboo hoodies. Very light, very cool, very comfortable. It's UPF20+. I use them fishing, boating, kayaking, etc. Cost $64, but you can find sales every once in a while that make them more affordable and if you're a first time customer i think there's a code for 10% off.

The original bamboo hoodies are slightly heavier and warmer and bump the UPF up to 30+. Both are comfortable for me on the water.
How is the fit?

Windrunner17

Lil-Rokslider
How is the fit?
I'd call it athletic, but not tight. I feel like it's a good cut. This is me in the crewneck version of the original bamboo shirt.

I'm 6'1 240ish and this is an XL for reference.

Attachments

• DCbamboo.jpg
    DCbamboo.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 81

Brusso89

FNG
I’m in AZ and I’ve used several. Outdoor research echo is good if you don’t mind how high up the next goes but that’s common with sun hoodies. The one I just got is the Ketl nofry hoodie. Where has this thing been my whole life! It’s basically an outdoor research echo but with a few buttons at the neck so you can unbutton to dump heat and breathe.

I’ve tried them all but for 50SPF the Anetik low pro tech hoodie is my favorite. I like free fly as well but lower SPF rating.

I have tried under armour, Huk, Aftco, Columbia, and a few others. The Aftco hooded with the built in face mask is the coolest shirt I have used. Columbia is the second but doesn’t compare to the Aftco. Not sure if the model but it’s very comfortable to be out in the sun all day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk