Best lightweight hooded fishing shirt for sun protection

Gone4Days

WKR
The Kuiu Gila Hoodie is pretty nice. I bought one recently and I like it. 50+ spf

Felton

WKR
I like the palegic shirts. I’ve picked them up on sale for ~$25

I fish coastal Georgia and these are my go to shirts when it’s hot. I feel like they are a tight fitting shirt so if your want them a little loose size up one size.

Here’s one on sale now for $32

Last edited:

OMB

WKR
Looking for recommendations for a lightweight hooded fishing shirt. Must be extremely lightweight and comfortable. I fish offshore and inshore in NC/VA and have had several bouts with skin cancer so covering up is a must for me. I have several already and my favorite is made by HUK. Some of them are made of heavier material and are too hot to wear in the middle of summer. Curious to hear others opinions on which brand they prefer for the hottest days of summer.
Simms Solarflex hoody and gaiter. I hate how Simms constantly changes the cuts/seams of everything they sell every season, but at least the fit with the Solarflex has remained consistent. I fly fish for billfish so I want muted tones (green/gray/light blue) and not some of the crazy bright patterns or huge logos with some of the offshore or hiking focused brands.

I'd like to try the Kuiu Gila just to see how it does offshore but I'm sort of in the "it's not broke so don't fix it" camp with the Simms tops.

Edit: I'd rather go shirt+gaiter rather than a built in face cover. Built in face covers are great in theory but never executed as well as just doing them seperate.

OP
G

Gman12

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the replies. I ended up buying a Pelagic hoodie. It is ultralight and has vented arm pits which is just what I was looking for but didn't know existed. Super comfortable and cool.

SloppyJ

WKR
I like my Aftco hoodies. I've tried a ton and my absolute least favorite was the FL wick. In the humidity I instantly start sweating and smell like a wet dog. Full synthetic for me down here in the heat.

Poser

WKR
Black Diamond AlpenGlow Pro is the best sun hoody on the market: mesh armpits, quarter zip, but the features that separates it from every other brand I have tried is the multi panel hood which “hooks” under your hat bill and stays out for the most shade across your face. The non paneled hoods get caught in the wind. The OR hoods are too tight and don’t cast much of a shadow.

260bd8d5a79c0dd1efebacb7ed5fbb09.jpg

schmalzy

WKR
Black Diamond AlpenGlow Pro is the best sun hoody on the market: mesh armpits, quarter zip, but the features that separates it from every other brand I have tried is the multi panel hood which “hooks” under your hat bill and stays out for the most shade across your face. The non paneled hoods get caught in the wind. The OR hoods are too tight and don’t cast much of a shadow.

260bd8d5a79c0dd1efebacb7ed5fbb09.jpg

Any experience with the OR Astroman?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

schmalzy

WKR
Haven’t tried that one m, but it’s on my radar.
Does it have the same seam at the neck as the echo? That’s a bit of an unfortunate design.

I’m not sure; haven’t tried it yet. It’s on my list to try as it has a zip and a hood, which is surprisingly hard to find. Sitka core lw and SG seem to be the only options other than the OR that I can find. I like the SG quite a bit but limited on color options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tracker12

WKR
I live on the Chesapeake Bay and am on the water a lot. I love my SIMMS. They have several models with high spf

Hondo

WKR
I have many "sun" hoodies and use them often. Some of my favorites, unfortunately, don't have that great of sun protection. Listed in the the order of most worn along with their stated UPF rating:

Outdoor Research Astroman 30+/50+
Simms Solarflex 50+
Sitka Core LW 30+
Howler Bros Loggerhead 35+
Duck Camp LW Bamboo 20+
Outdoor Research Echo 15+/20+

The dual ratings on the Outdoor Research hoody's have to do with different colors. The lighter colors of both the Astroman and Echo have lower ratings than the darker colors.

Duck Camp recently introduced the Rockport hoody which has a much higher (50+) rating than the bamboo varients.

Simms added a Solarflex Guide hoody to their lineup that features a built in face mask very much like the
Sitka Core LW Hoody's feature.