Best Kifaru setup for elk hunting

Bag? You don't need no sticking bag!

Wrench

WKR
I run a mtn warrior and find it's great for anything from all day to all week. A guide lid and a pocket or two and you have room to spare as well as the horseshoe zipper a cess.

I used the mountain warrior for 6 years and recently upgraded to a hoodlum. Both are awesome for day hunts. The hoodlum is a little bigger for 5+ days.

Mcnasty

FNG
The one with the most pullouts.
I can't believe this comment has made it this long without a good pull out joke. For what its worth, I have been using a reckoning for 4 years for hunts as well as up to 5 days. its super versatile as it it chinches down small for day hunts, and expands easily for multi day. full zipper makes access easy in small or large mode. I was not sure about the sleeve pockets on the side at first but love them for easy access items and layers. I have belt pouches and a large pooch on the back for rain gear and quick access items. I have a lid but typically only use it in the winter. occasionally I run a pouch on the top. but typically just the bag with the belt pouches.

So far I’ve used the reckoning, fulcrum, and hoodlum to elk hunt with and I use a gen 2 claymore for the lid on all of them. I just used the hoodlum for 12 days in MT and it’s the winner. I don’t dislike any of them but the hoodlum seems to have the best parts of all of them. And the zippered side pocket is finally the perfect place to put that obnoxious damn bugle tube.

I think the timberline 1 or 2 is the best bag from kifaru for elk hunting. Side sleeves to stuff tripods/rain gear/water bladders in, 2 back pockets for whatever, the ability to attach belt pouches to the lower sides for added space. I personally like the sleeping bag divider as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bat-cave

WKR
I had an AMR and it's a great pack and HUGE. I ended up selling it and moving to a 44 Mag as the temptation to fill the AMR was to great. :). I've used the 44 Mag for Elk hunting and it has served me well and has also served me well on a 7 day Mtn Goat hunt. I also have a Stryker, but mostly use it for Spring Turkey, but opt for a Sitka Cargo Box for WT season.

I use the Duplex Timberline 1 or AMR for all my trips. Huge size, great organization, and both pack super flat in day hunting mode. The DT1 has been the best size, weight, to organization layout bag they’ve produced to date. IMHO of course

100% would recommend the reckoning as has quite a few people have said the asme thing. Packs down to nothing, but will haul everything you need if it arises

MattB

WKR
I like my Fulcrum.

Pack off a list and there will be no temptation to over-pack.

sivart

WKR
If I were you, I would wait until the EXO K4 comes out. The bag and frame is much lighter. And from the looks of the new belt and frame, I bet it's more comfortable.

prm

WKR
Best is tough to say. I’ve used the Reckoning, Nomad II, and Stryker. For me, the Stryker was the best. I find it to be a perfect system for how I hunt.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I think the timberline 1 or 2 is the best bag from kifaru for elk hunting. Side sleeves to stuff tripods/rain gear/water bladders in, 2 back pockets for whatever, the ability to attach belt pouches to the lower sides for added space. I personally like the sleeping bag divider as well.

I agree. The Duplex T1 is my all-time favorite Kifaru pack. It works well for archery and rifle and it has plenty of room for longer trips but also has great organization.

I did 10 days out of a 44 mag with a med and large belt pouch and a claymore gen 2 as a lid. I have a reckoning, stryker xl/camp bag and the 44 mag. No doubt after that 10 days that the 44 mag would be the 1 I kept. The organization is unmatched and I dont feel like I had to fight with the pack to get anything out.

coyote_out

Lil-Rokslider
I have been running a Stryker xl this year for everything and have been really happy. I have llamas that pack gear too so it’s not really apples to apples. If you are wanting to start somewhere, go bigger and compress.