Best Cheap Headlamp

tje803

FNG
I have three of the Fenix HM23 headlamps stashed in various places. Not sure what your definition of "cheap" is - these run $35. I like the neutral tint (good color rendering). Nice simple user interface - hold down button to turn on, press button to switch between three modes. I'm not a fan of rechargeable headlamps, because I like having spare batteries as a backup. I run eneloop rechargeable nimh AA batteries in them. And I always have lots of alkaline AA batteries around (I make sure not to keep alkaline batteries in the headlamps long-term since most alkaline batteries tend to leak over time).

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
The 2 packs of energizer ones if my focus is cheap they have a pretty decent beam and briteness.
They do not have a lock or red for hunting though.

Campfire ones you have to take the battery's out, came on in my pack and was dead when I needed it.
Is the on button located in a bad spot with the Camofire ones, or something?

Is the on button located in a bad spot with the Camofire ones, or something?
I'm not sure.
This was a few years ago.
If they are rechargeable now they may have been updated.

But imo every camofire product I've tried has some kind of cheap out defect.

Uphills

FNG
If you just want a few to stash and use in a pinch the energizer ones work great and are pretty cheap. I have a streamlight enduro pro headlamp that is a bit more money but lite and bright.

*zap*

WKR
black diamond astro and similar models have worked well for me....be aware that the models with a raised power button will turn on while in a pocket..I have found that recessed power buttons work better for me when I am pocketing a light during the day other wise you can take one battery out and use a good rubber band to attach it to the light body.

those models are around 20-30 bucks.

Bluefish

WKR
i got a nitecore ha13 this year. $22 Seems a good level of brightness and lots of battery life. Can use 3 AAA or a rechargeable pack. I like the option of both. Rechargeable for cost and AAA as backup. may buy a couple more of them to stash

ni7ne

FNG
Interesting seeing nobody recommend zebralight.
They were the pinnacle of headlamps back in the day.

A zebralight is the only headlamp I've had that failed in a way that inconvenienced me on the trail.

cowboy

Lil-Rokslider
Any suggestions on an inexpensive headlamp that is good? Is rechargeable better?

I want to buy three or four of them and stash them in various places, so I don't need to play the pack juggling game.

Thanks!
I see you’re from Montana. If you’re close to a Costco pick up one of their 2 or 4 pack - can’t beat the price and their quality is as good as my expensive ones. I must have 20 + or - head lamps stashed in tractors, tool boxes, saddle bags, barns, cabin, shooting bags etc and the Kirkland can’t be beat.

Honyock

WKR
Another vote for the Energizer. I have a Phenix HM50-R but it seems like I'm always using the old Energizer.

twall13

WKR
Interesting seeing nobody recommend zebralight.
They were the pinnacle of headlamps back in the day.

A zebralight is the only headlamp I've had that failed in a way that inconvenienced me on the trail.
The OP asked for the "best cheap headlamp". I don't count Zebralights in the cheap category.

My Zebralight is still my favorite 18650 headlamp I've tried. That includes a Fenix, a couple Sofirns, and a Camofire/BlackOvis. I like the beam pattern, light color, programming etc.

That said, I own a bunch of Sofirns and that would be my recommendation for an inexpensive light if you're looking for rechargeable. They are a solid light and worth more than the price.

If you don't want rechargeable the Energizer is a good recommendation. My teenage son hasn't been able to break his in several years of use.

Personally, I dislike the Camofire/BlackOvis light. The beam, controls/programming, pretty much everything.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Tater86

Lil-Rokslider
Love my Sofrin with the red light as well. I wish I could find a headlamp in the same size with the same light output in a green light instead of red.

CorbLand

WKR
I have a couple Sofirns and have liked them for around the house. Havent had them long enough to get them out on any hunts.

I bought some of the cheap Engergizers and like them but the red light on the ones I have suck and arent useful at all. Great for cheap and if you dont need the red.

Agross

WKR
Did u get the sofirns with the red lights ? I have a couple and the red light is better than the other headlamps I have tried by a good margin. Granted I don’t spend alot on headlamps, but I have been impressed with the red light and regular light on them.

Fatcamp

WKR
I keep two Black Diamond Storms in my pack, and a Sofirn handheld AA in my buno harness.

The Storms have never let me down and have worked well. The Sofirn is a great light. The rechargeable battery allows for 1000 lumen output, which is very useful when navigating rough country. We even use it them for bow fishing, they are great lights. I also have a Sofin bicycle light that I use as a handheld on the water. Great light.

Jethro

WKR
Did u get the sofirns with the red lights ? I have a couple and the red light is better than the other headlamps I have tried by a good margin. Granted I don’t spend alot on headlamps, but I have been impressed with the red light and regular light on them.
The red was reason I initially tried sofirn. Turned out to be the best red headlamp I’ve ever owned.