Best 300wsm rifle under $1000?

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I don't know if I am a fan of the plastic magazine on the Tikka's either. I have a T3 lite but still undecided on the magazine.

Have you ever heard of anyone busting one? I've had my tikka out in -23F and didn't have issues with the plastic mag.

Composites/plastic aren't necessarily a bad thing its just how they are employed. Tikkas serve a decent price and weight point with their base offering and the proof of concept speaks in terms of the accuracy they deliver for most folks. That said there are lots of options out there if something else speaks to ya. :)

I've never heard about any issues with them, but like the stocks, they just seem kind of cheap. I've also considered the possibility of having the mag fall out on the trail.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It would be hard to bump the mag out if it was properly clipped in (esp. with the recessed release) but in general loosing a detachable mag is a concern with any gun that has a detachable mag. There are pros and cons to mags, floor plates, blind mag boxes.

One pro with mags is if you're in/out of a vehicle traveling around to different areas repeatedly being able to pop a mag in/out is convenient (not a factor in back country hunting). For back country hunting a blind mag box is lighter/simpler and won't open up (like a mag falling out or floor plate opening, both usually uncommon) with the only downside coming to mind being that they are harder to clean out in the field if you somehow get crap into it (also uncommon).

Rucker61

WKR
I went Tikka in the .300 WSM, mainly because that's the only brass in a magnum round I could find at the time. I did put a brake on it before I ever shot it, so I have no idea how it kicks without one. With one, it feels like my .308.

View attachment 35467

OP
X

xcutter

WKR
I wanted to revive this thread. Seems like the most accurate rifle out of the box goes to the Tikka and Kimber.

What kind of groups are you guys getting at 100 yards? Everything I've read about the Kimber's says they are hit or miss. Most posts I've read says they won't hardly shoot the sub moa.

I really like the Kimber's but if I spend that kind of money I would really like them to shoot sub moa.

Let's hear some comments. Maybe even pics if you feel like posting.

I'm leaning more to the 30-06 for caliber purchase.

ams

WKR
Tikka is hard to beat. 6lbs +/- for the superlight version at sportmans warehouse $699. With the new tikka t3x coming in I would not be surprised if they have a sale on "last years" for 599-649 here soon. Also, there's a lot more support and aftermarket stuff for the tikka over the kimber. But if you find a kimber in the $900 range then that'd be nice too. Oh choices :)
I'm no marksman and not a whole lot of shooting experience but a lightweight rifle in 300wsm or 3006 will take some getting used to and practice with that specific gun.

I bought my Kimber Montana .300wsm sometime around the beginning of '05. I think that was shortly after they first started producing them. The first time I took it to the range, fired a couple rounds to make sure I was on the paper, then took it out to 100 yards and fired three rounds with the cheapest Winchester ammunition I could find. Two of the rounds were touching with the third one was about a half to three quarters of an inch away. Maybe I got lucky but it's definitely a shooter. I have another Montana in .280AI that shoots three leaf clover's at 100 yards.

I have a 7–08 Tikka that is a very sweet little shooter as well but I just like my Montana's (CRF and three position safety) more. The Kimber's just feel like a better built rifle to me also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KINGSNAKE

WKR
I had a 7 mag that was lights out and it had a break on it. It was really nice to shoot at the range but it is that last hunting rifle I will own with a break again. I killed a few pronghorn and my first elk with it. Seemed like I alway forgot to put my hearing g protection in in the heat of the hunt. It cost me some hearing loss and I'm 32. I would recommend a 260 or 270. If your gonna hunt elk get a 30 06 and forget the break on a hunting gun. That's my way of thinking now after my own personal experience.

KINGSNAKE

WKR
My choice in brand would be Winchester model 70 or Browning X bolt. I like howa rifles but if your stuck on a 300 wsm. They don't currently make the wsm. You can get the howa in a 300 win mag. Many guys would argue to get the regular 300 win mag any way. I understand your appetite for the 300 wsm. I want one myself I have a set of dies and brass but I have yet to buy one. Figure that out.

Muttly

WKR
I,'ve got 416 Rigby brass, dies, bullets, probably at least 15 lbs of 4831 so I don't run out too quick, and a custom made crimp die. Ammo made up, tested in a buddy,s gun. Been ready to go shooting for the last five years, keep gettin distracted by another bow or gun, haven't gotten around to actually getting the rifle yet..

Felix40

WKR
I am loving my 300 wsm model 70. I bought it for $650. Bedded the action, floated the barrel, and did a trigger job on it and I don't think I could be happier with it. I have less than $1000 in it including glass and dies to reload and it will straight up shoot.

micus

Lil-Rokslider
for what its worth

I just got back from a 1000m (1100yd) rifle shoot this past weekend. Every "hunter" class rifle ( has to be unmodified stock rifle + scope combo with a weight under 10lbs) that has won it in the past 6 years has been a Tikka T3 in 7rm. Looking at the competitors gun rack for those up to shoot looked like a tikka/sako advertisement.

when I left the shoot, the last stock class competitor shooting was shooting a Tikka t3 HB 7rm and he printed a 5" group at 1100yds.

Mike.

HiMtnHntr

WKR
This rifle is a little over a grand, but I've been shooting a Sako 75 Finnlight in 300 wsm for ten years. It's been a fantastic mountain rig, and shoots. . .

But, admittedly, it's a bad habit getting into Sakos. . .

416mag

FNG
I have 3 Winnie M70 rifles now, 7mm rem, 300rum, and a 416. The last one Im still working on, only has 15 shots thru it, but the other two, didn't need bedding at all to shoot ragged hole groups at 100yds. You cant go wrong if you go with a Winchester. Also don't discount the well established 300 winmag as well, brass is easier to find and it shoots accurate as well. Glass and mounting will be the most important thing. I have shot towards 1k rounds in the 7mm mag, and a good 300-400 thru the rum. Don't shoot more than 3 or 4 shots at a time, and let the barrel cool down before shooting again. If you don't, you'll burn out the barrel quickly. Take another gun or two with you to fill in the time

Last edited: