Best 300wsm rifle under $1000?

mcseal2

WKR
The Tikkas mentioned are darn nice rifles I just don't like that style safety. I grew up shooting a Winchester model 70 and got used to switching between shoulders when carrying it on a sling. I tried that with a Remington 700 and a Colt Light Rifle and the safety rubbed into the fire position on my pack a few times carrying a RH rifle on my left shoulder. May not be an issue for most people but it happened for me. For big game now I stick to Winchester or Kimber actions with the 3 position safety. My varmint and predator guns are almost all built on Ruger actions with the 3 position. I had a Browning with a tang safety that worked well also.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The Tikkas mentioned are darn nice rifles I just don't like that style safety. I grew up shooting a Winchester model 70 and got used to switching between shoulders when carrying it on a sling. I tried that with a Remington 700 and a Colt Light Rifle and the safety rubbed into the fire position on my pack a few times carrying a RH rifle on my left shoulder. May not be an issue for most people but it happened for me. For big game now I stick to Winchester or Kimber actions with the 3 position safety. My varmint and predator guns are almost all built on Ruger actions with the 3 position. I had a Browning with a tang safety that worked well also.

That's a consideration. I carry mine safari sling most of the time I'm actually hunting so its facing away from me. I sometimes will do a reverse carry thing with it behind my shoulder but the chamber is empty for sure in that mode so the safety getting bumped (which hasn't happened) isn't a concern. If find the tikka/rem/etc. safety position easy to use when in shooting position but that's what I'm used to.

hodgeman

WKR
I've been hunting nearly exclusively with the .300WSM since 2006. I've shot a pile of critters and it works just fine. I've had a Tikka, a Nosler and most recently a M70... all just fine.

The .300 will belt you pretty well, but I can't personally tell the difference between it and an '06. Never felt the need for a brake. Never thought about barrel life. It's a hunting rifle...under normal use it will outlive your kids.

GKPrice

Banned
Kimber Montana, and don't look back. Super accurate right out of the box, 3 position safety, and CRF.

TOTALLY agree with the rifle but, for what you've expressed, I'd go with a 30-06 in the 84L Montana and not look back - I'd not hesitate to shoot an elk out to 600 yards with my Tikka Superlight (and have done so)

GKPrice

Banned
That's a consideration. I carry mine safari sling most of the time I'm actually hunting so its facing away from me. I sometimes will do a reverse carry thing with it behind my shoulder but the chamber is empty for sure in that mode so the safety getting bumped (which hasn't happened) isn't a concern. If find the tikka/rem/etc. safety position easy to use when in shooting position but that's what I'm used to.

point taken but the Tikka safety is more "streamlined" than those others, especially the Remington - In the described carry a Model 70 or Kimber "could" get bumped to fire as well but not with a Ruger Mk II - THAT depends a lot on style of carry and the underbrush one is walking through too I'd suppose

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTALLY agree with the rifle but, for what you've expressed, I'd go with a 30-06 in the 84L Montana and not look back - I'd not hesitate to shoot an elk out to 600 yards with my Tikka Superlight (and have done so)
Whether 30-06 will do 600 yards or not, wouldn't you think 300 wsm is still a superior round?

FYI there's a place in Minnesota that has a handful of Montana's , in various calibers with unthreaded barrels (the 2016's are all threaded for a muzzle brake/suppressor), for $999 shipped. Northern Firearms @ (800) 346-0019

hodgeman

WKR
Whether 30-06 will do 600 yards or not, wouldn't you think 300 wsm is still a superior round?

I've done a lot of hunting with both. Can't say that either one isn't fine for most any hunting you'd do. The .300WSM has a bit more velocity and a bit more energy and it's certainly my preference for open country shooting. But, I hunt open tundra all the time...if I mainly hunted the woods and thought I might take a poke at a western hunt on only a rare occasion it probably wouldn't be much advantage.

GKPrice

Banned
FYI there's a place in Minnesota that has a handful of Montana's , in various calibers with unthreaded barrels (the 2016's are all threaded for a muzzle brake/suppressor), for $999 shipped. Northern Firearms @ (800) 346-0019

GREAT retailer - I've purchased quite a few firearms from them because the shipping is always free as well

GKPrice

Banned

I think very highly of all the WSM's and shoot 270 WSM a lot even though I'm also a great fan of the 270 Win - WSM brass "can" be hard to find at times although the Winchester WSM is as good as any other brand in that category because they wanted badly to have the WSM line market well in the beginning and manufactured that brass carefully to be robust - I shoot mostly a Tikka superlight nowadays making the choice between '06 and 300 WSM mute but I just prefer the 30-06 and can't tell you why (maybe I'm just getting "old") Nothing against the 300 WSM at all ..... I'm shooting a newly rechambered 30-06 AI right now and having fun with it - now that the rain has stopped (hope - hope) I'll get some velocities posted although that's not the main reason I did it

hooker

Lil-Rokslider
If your a rifleman's rifle type of guy get a Winchester EW or a Kimber Montana. If your not a rifleman's rifle type get a Sako A7. If you cant find a Sako A7 get a Tikka.... Sako A7 is your huckleberry. Thank me later.

stevenm2

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with BigDog I have a Remington Model 7 xcr ( I know they only made them for a year)that shoots under MOA. recoil is not that bad.
Personally I will not have a brake on any of my rifles including my 340 weatherby that had a brake on it at one time. That cured me
My .300wsm Model seven has become my "go to" rifle. I hand load for it and seems to like accubonds and E-tips really well.

OP
X

xcutter

WKR
That Remington Boone and Crockett looks pretty tempting in the classifieds. Does anyone have any experience with that rifle? How do they shoot? Should I spend a little more and get a Kimber Montana?

I appreciate everyone's responses.

That Remington Boone and Crockett looks pretty tempting in the classifieds. Does anyone have any experience with that rifle? How do they shoot? Should I spend a little more and get a Kimber Montana?

I appreciate everyone's responses.

Yes, spend the little extra money and get the 3 position safety and CRF. You will not be disappointed and, if for some strange reason you decide to get rid of it, the Kimber will be an easy sell, as there are plenty of folks in the market for one.

elkguide

WKR
The Rem 700 is a great action and they are pretty decent all around rifles. I have several and they certainly can be played with and end up with a good shooter. Still if you're looking for "A" rifle and aren't planning on having to get a second (or third) safe to hold this new rifle in, I would definitely spend a little more and get a Kimber Montana.

GKPrice

Banned

Define "superior" please - Admittedly there is a slight efficiency edge for the case design but not enough to call it a superior round and if you are talking simple velocity well then let's talk 300 RUM or 30/378

quite a few more '06 rounds can fit in the ordinary pocket and let's not forget that ammo & brass, not to mention rifles, are vastly more abundant for the 30-06

but let's not squabble as I have no beef with the WSM rounds and shoot or have shot plenty of critters with 270 WSM and 325 WSM rifles in Tikka, Kimber and Winchester - even had an elk look up at me and with it's dying breath ask "why not a 300 WSM ??"
DID have a Kimber Montana 270 WSM jam on the feed ramp as a fat cow elk walked by last December though ....... can't remember the last time any of my '06's failed to feed smooth as silk