Best 300wsm rifle under $1000?

Define "superior" please - Admittedly there is a slight efficiency edge for the case design but not enough to call it a superior round and if you are talking simple velocity well then let's talk 300 RUM or 30/378...

IDK, my Tikka 300wsm pushes um out at 3300. That is right in there with the 300RUM. But the RUM is a whole different class of hunting rifle, and it's an apples to oranges comparison. While the 30-06 is a fine caliber, I'll take the velocity difference of the 300WSM any day, as it equates to a flatter trajectory out to mid range distances. If your talking long range hunting, (800yards plus) I'm sure like you, I'd chose that RUM over the WSM or 06 any day of the week.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Define "superior" please - Admittedly there is a slight efficiency edge for the case design but not enough to call it a superior round and if you are talking simple velocity well then let's talk 300 RUM or 30/378

quite a few more '06 rounds can fit in the ordinary pocket and let's not forget that ammo & brass, not to mention rifles, are vastly more abundant for the 30-06

but let's not squabble as I have no beef with the WSM rounds and shoot or have shot plenty of critters with 270 WSM and 325 WSM rifles in Tikka, Kimber and Winchester - even had an elk look up at me and with it's dying breath ask "why not a 300 WSM ??"
DID have a Kimber Montana 270 WSM jam on the feed ramp as a fat cow elk walked by last December though ....... can't remember the last time any of my '06's failed to feed smooth as silk

^^^^ Above is basically what I've been trying to say too. I DO like the 300wsm but other than a fun cartridge to play with that gives a bit more top end (if you're going to use it), I have a hard time recommended it as a first time rifle that likely will be used under 400yd and mostly on deer over 30-06.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
IDK, my Tikka 300wsm pushes um out at 3300. That is right in there with the 300RUM. But the RUM is a whole different class of hunting rifle, and it's an apples to oranges comparison. While the 30-06 is a fine caliber, I'll take the velocity difference of the 300WSM any day, as it equates to a flatter trajectory out to mid range distances. If your talking long range hunting, (800yards plus) I'm sure like you, I'd chose that RUM over the WSM or 06 any day of the week.

What grain is "um"? 150s?

Yep its flatter, I know the perk when shooting longer that flatter can have (but also a decent BC bullet too, which isn't 150s in 30cal) but we're recommending a gun for the original poster who hunts Indian primarly and MIGHT hunt elk out west <400yd.

Being I have whitetail hunted since I was 9, the 300 wsm is too much. It puts a grenade size hole through them. If he wants a gun for whitetail and the occasional elk hunt, I would go for the following:

30-06
7mm
28 nosler

What grain is "um"? 150s?

Yep its flatter, I know the perk when shooting longer that flatter can have (but also a decent BC bullet too, which isn't 150s in 30cal) but we're recommending a gun for the original poster who hunts Indian primarly and MIGHT hunt elk out west <400yd.

That is exactly why I said the RUM and the WSM (300 for both) were not in the same class for hunting rifles. Yep, 150.

Being I have whitetail hunted since I was 9, the 300 wsm is too much. It puts a grenade size hole through them. If he wants a gun for whitetail and the occasional elk hunt, I would go for the following:

30-06
7mm
28 nosler

I shoot the E-tips, out of my Tikka, and don't have that issue. Granted I am in Ca, and must shoot non-lead in a couple areas I hunt, so I stopped using lead at least a couple years back. I get a small entrance hole and a slightly larger exit hole, with great kinetic dispersion. Although I can shoot it accurately further, it's my go to for 600 yards and under. Frankly I'd be completely confident with it for elk at 400 yards and less. But if I were to be buying only one western hunting rifle, I'd likely step up to more gun.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
That is exactly why I said the RUM and the WSM (300 for both) were not in the same class for hunting rifles. Yep, 150.

[Edit wrote this up with the 150TTSX in my head, I now reread and see its E-tips you were talking about. Points still stand but obviously some slight differences in numbers between those two bullets.]

No but you're talking flatter on 300wsm vs 30-06 and sorta loosing me with where you're trying to go with it. Barnes ammo for the 150TTSX is 2970 in 30-06 and 3310 in 300wsm. With a 200yd zero at sea level the 30-06 drops 7.25" at 300yd vs 5.63" on the 300wsm, not really of practical difference. At 400yd they are -21.32" vs -16.63" but you're into correcting for the drop at this range so knowing your holds or clicks again is no real difference. [Using Liz's ballistic program] Beyond things start making a difference but we're not talking 400+ here (for this poster) and if we were the 150TTSX wouldn't be the ideal for that type of work (even when shooting monos).

Even with controlled expansion bullets I can't think of a much good reasoning to hammer whitetails (mostly likely inside 100yds from what I hear from folks in Indiana) with 300wsm velocities. He MIGHT hunt elk and likely inside 400yd which the 30-06 is completely suited to do (if the shooter can). He's not asking for a western hunting rifle.

If not a reloader you can get basic 30-06 plentiful for ~$20 vs what $35 for the WSM? Premium ammo is less differential but the 30-06 still tends to run $5-10 less a box for the same bullet in the loaded ammo.

Again I do like the 300WSM, almost bought the same gun as you're using but built a 280AI instead. I just wouldn't recommend it based on reading what the person asking for opinions said about his needs.

GKPrice

Banned

So are you saying that the 300 WSM makes a 150 grain bullet more lethal than a 30-06 ? and a 150 is a 150 no matter what brand or class of bullet it is so I'm not getting your point I guess .....
sorry, had to eat supper

the terms of this discussion seemed to change midstream but I'll try to keep up - we began using 180 grain bullets (I had thought) so that is what I'm staying with because whatever .30 is used for elk the 180 grain class of bullet works "better" than lighter projectiles by whatever standard one chooses to compare them and the farther the distance the more 180's (or maybe heavier) stand out - Staying with that "apples to apples" measure I see less than 200 fps on average between the '06 and 300 WSM, hardly a basis to establish one as superior to the other on "velocity" alone - If I were to abandon my beloved 30-06 purely for more velocity I sure as heck would not take the short hop to the WSM but rather I'd begin with looking at 300 Win Mags but I'd also be looking at many other factors and not just velocity capability alone and when I compared efficiency my apples to apples observations would attempt to keep the playing field level -
"short and fat" was termed by benchrest shooters, not hunters BTW

Last edited:
So are you saying that the 300 WSM makes a 150 grain bullet more lethal than a 30-06 ? and a 150 is a 150 no matter what brand or class of bullet it is so I'm not getting your point I guess .....

Lol, I have no idea where you got that from.

OP
X

xcutter

WKR
So sounds like I need to choose from an 30-06 or 300wsm.

30-06 more suited for my deer hunting in Indiana and the 300wsm better for a Western Elk hunt.

Does anyone shoot the Savage's? I've looking at the Savage Bear Hunter. It has some great reviews and several youtube videos proving it's accuracy.

The Kimber's look really nice but the barrel looks pretty small. How quickly does that barrel get warm shooting on the range?

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The WSM is a bit better out west if you can capitalize on its benefits in terms of being able to shoot far enough (slightly flatter inside 300yd but mostly negated with a 200yd zero).

I don't shoot savages, they are a love/hate for most folks based on how the actions feel. They often shoot well, go handle one and see what you think.

Thin barrels will heat up after about 3rds. Take your time at the range and its all good and you're not toting around a heavier barrel when hunting.

I shoot a Savage 116 30-06. Very accurate rifle, and with handloads, can get some pretty nice ballistics. Shot a whitetail at 562 yards last year with it.

GKPrice

Banned
So sounds like I need to choose from an 30-06 or 300wsm.

30-06 more suited for my deer hunting in Indiana and the 300wsm better for a Western Elk hunt.

Does anyone shoot the Savage's? I've looking at the Savage Bear Hunter. It has some great reviews and several youtube videos proving it's accuracy.

The Kimber's look really nice but the barrel looks pretty small. How quickly does that barrel get warm shooting on the range?

Now that you are moving past chambering selection and talking "rifles" you have an even larger list of possibles (and favorites) but I'll say this ...

You'll carry your rifle ALOT more than you'll shoot it when hunting, ounces matter some but POUNDS matter more when you are walking/moving all day with your gun and gear and the difference between a 7lb rig and an 8 1/2lb rig will become obvious by the time your headed in to camp for the night - Savages are well built and well designed rifles - I personally shoot Kimbers and Tikka superlights, both highly thought of and well made firearms - Of my "collection" I like hunting with my Tikka superlight in 30-06 AI best, it's not the lightest but it IS lightweight - In standard 30-06 you can buy it for $699 at Sportsmans Warehouse - I prefer the Mountain Tactical picatinny rail and Leupold PRW rings but there are other awesome rails and rings out there so shop carefully there - scopes are a personal thing, for many years I've found a Leupold VX3 (now VX3i) to be enough in 3.5x10x40mm but a 4.5x14x40mm is not too much overkill (and makes load development and sighting from the bench more enjoyable) - Put a Limbsaver 2 recoil pad on the Tikka out of the box ! - Also purchase at least one more magazine and carry it in the bottom of your pack - that's MY advice and you'll have much more to guide you before you are done here ...

re: 30-06 ... I shoot (currently) Nosler accubond 180 grain at around 2800 fps - zero'd at 300 yards I can kill an elk out to 500 yards with a center kill zone hold (WITH A GOOD REST) - There are many other things to consider in the HUNTING scenario out west, some emulate Indiana style and some are far from it, you will never have them ALL covered - Now that you will have your shooting covered turn your attention to YOU, BOOTS and foot gear FIRST !

LightFoot

WKR
If I were going to buy a 300 WSM, I would look at the new Browning Speed.

Duratouch, ceracote, threaded...
Seems to fit the bill

Mjm316

Lil-Rokslider
I know it's already been stated but I did the same thing you are looking at doing. I bought a M70 300wsm shot a few whitetails and quickly learned it is just too much gun for Midwest deer. Ended up with a 270 and haven't been disappointed at all. Don't get me wrong I still love my 300wsm but not in the whitetail woods. If I were in your shoes and wanted a 30cal I'd opt for a 30-06. My .02. Good luck in whatever you choose.

Browning x bolt, m70 ew, or tikka with a recoil pad. I love my xbolt in 300wsm.

Probably not enough difference between 30/06 and wsm to argue about. I like the idea of a short action and improved ballistics enough to deal with the pricey wsm brass and additional recoil. I'm sure I could do just as well with a 3006 but it's more about wants than needs.

OP
X

xcutter

WKR
I went to Cabela's over the weekend and checked out several rifles. Really like the feel of the Kimber Mountain Ascent except they are so light. Seems like they would kick my brains out. LOL. The Tikka's were nice but seemed kind of cheap feeling. I didn't like the plastic on the end of the bolt. Really like the feel of the Savage Bear Hunter. I didn't care for the camo stock but that's irrelevant really. The Remington 700's felt good. Really liked the Christenson's rifles but way out of my price range.

Can't make my mind up for sure yet. Decisions decisions. Kind of leaning towards the Savage for the price and quality. Kimber is my top pic though other than the barrel being so tiny.

tstowater

WKR
Classified Approved
081.jpg

This Model 70 in 300WSM has been to Manitoba and British Columbia several times in addition to many western states and Alaska. Not going to say that there aren't better rifles out there, but one like this will serve the purpose if you are set on a 300WSM. Simple, but very effective.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The Tikka's were nice but seemed kind of cheap feeling. I didn't like the plastic on the end of the bolt..

Just an FYI and keep in mind it adds cost but there are after market aluminum and titanium versions of that piece. That said I haven't had any issue with it being plastic on my personal guns (I have a few tikkas). The stocks are a big plasticy but not too noodly and they work. Again though you can drop the gun into a B&C stock if desired. Both add cost, both aren't "needed" but they are available. However once you start doing that don't forget to look at the kimbers and such mentioned.