Best .223 bullet for deer

Hello - looking for opinions based on real world experience on the best deer bullet for a .223 Remington. What I’m not interested in is the “use enough gun” argument. My son is 11, very small for his age, and recoil sensitive, and I’m looking to find an accurate and lethal load for him for whitetail hunting this fall. The rifle is a Savage Axis youth with a 1/9 twist, so no bullets over 65 grains either. I have lots of propellants on hand suitable for the .223, including Varget, TAC, Benchmark, CFE-223, and Win 748. Thanks in advance for any recommendations!

Here would be my suggestions.
Nosler 22 caliber 55 gr. E-tip: These will penetrate AND will expand nicely. E-tips will make the 223 perform on deer like you would want them to.
59624-et-22-55gr-box-highrez-1.png

Nosler 22 caliber 60 gr. Partition: I don't recall which outdoor writer who said that the Partition is NEVER A MISTAKE and that's a true story! As the E-tip will do the Partition will expand and penetrate, and work just as you hope they would. Great bullets. Look on the Nosler site, Shooters Pro Shop and get their blemished and over-runs on bullets for great prices.
17220-vmg-204cal-32gr-tipped-bullet-box-high-rez-1_3.png

Not sure if the Nosler 70 gr. Accubond would shoot very well in the twist rate of the .223 you are using. You would have to research that before purchasing them to try. They might need a faster twist rate than what your rifle has. Great bullet also and I would have no hesitation to using them.

53780-ab-22-70gr-bullet-box-highrez-1.png

David

Last edited:

Maybe 69 tmk since your twist is too slow for the 77

Last edited:

TaperPin

WKR
I used to be one of the guys who poo-pooed .22 cal for hunting until I traveled a little outside the west and met more people successfully using smaller calibers for all sorts of things. Your son will really appreciate what you’re doing when he’s older.

As a point of reference to a couple of the bullets I suggested here's an example of what I am talking about. Different cartridges, but using the E-tip, Partition, and Accubond brand bullets I highly suggest.

6mm Remington 90 gr. Nosler E-tip hand-load: Son's first elk was a big old cow broadside at 350 yards. Shot her tight behind the right shoulder and the bullet expanded and exited the middle of her left shoulder. She staggered 20 yards and tipped over.

6mm Remington. 100 gr. Nosler Partition hand-load: I've killed many antelope, deer, and one elk with this bullet in my 6mm Ruger 1B. My first and only elk with it so far. 30 yards broadside and I shot the bullet center of the right shoulder. The bullet penetrated the shoulder, lungs, and exited the left side just in front of the left shoulder. The spike bull staggered a few steps and was standing with his head down. I shot him again behind the ear, but he was dead on his feet and just didn't know it yet.

280AI 140 gr. Partition & Accubonds hand-loads. First animals were a nice cow elk at 450 yards with a 140 gr. Partition shot tight behind her shoulder. She staggered a few steps and went down. Nice whitetail buck 140 gr. Partition at 200 yards shot behind the shoulder and dropped on the spot. Antelope doe at 300 yards one shot with 140 gr. Partition and dropped immediately. My first and only grizzly bear I used my 280AI and 140 gr. Nosler Accubond. One shot tight behind his right shoulder broadside at 158 yards. He spun 180 degrees into the shot, did two summersaults, and was dead. He never even twitched. Bullet exited his left side.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
Any 55 gr Soft Point/Spitzer/Accubond/Partition will get the job done. I've taken numerous mule deer with Hornadys.

49ereric

WKR
Only bullet we used for deer in 224 with a 22.250 was discontinued by hornady HP #2275 but they still make the SP #2270.
all were one shot kills and close range though and bullet weighed 40 grains when recovered.
good thing I bought 500 #2275 before they discontinued them.

FLS

WKR
I killed a lot of deer with an old Remington 700 Varmint and 64 grain power points decades before Rokslide was even a thing. At the time that was The heaviest bullet I could find locally, it was cheap, and it worked. A shot in the vitals was always fatal and they never went far. Lots more options these days and a lot of good ones listed above.

Drenalin

WKR
That Federal fusion bullet is surprisingly good, and not expensive.
And factory loaded 62-gr, which should work well with that twist rate.

If you’re a reloader (or exceptionally patient), I’d probably try the 69 TMK too.

MT-nuffgun

Lil-Rokslider
We have killed several white tails and antelope with standard hornady 55-60 gr soft nose pills out of .223 and 22-250. If you wanted to shoot a little tougher bullet and you reload, I have heard good things about the Speer gold dot in a 55 or 62 gr. The point of the .223 for me was cheap components which is why I always shot cheap hornady bullets. If there is a question about the effectiveness of the 55 gr sp you should google “pat sinclair 220 swift” or “scenarshooter 220 swift”.

Last edited:

KenLee

WKR
We have killed several white tails and antelope with standard hornady 55-60 gr soft nose pills out of .223 and 22-250. If you wanted to shoot a little tougher bullet and you reload, I have heard good things about the Speer gold dot in a 55 or 62 gr. The point of the .223 for me was cheap components which is why I always shot cheap hornady bullets. If there is a question about the effectiveness of the 55 gr sp you should google “pat sinclair 220 swift” or “scenarshooter 220 swift”.
I forgot about Hornady 55 gr sp.
Weird as I have 800ish rounds in the back of a closet.

Here's some idea's on how These Nosler's performed. These are shot into 1 gallon water jugs lined up.
Written on the picture the distance, muzzle velocity, and expansion on some.
90grE-tip25-100300yards_zpsd5e3e19d.jpg

Bullettests-5-4-12020_zpse93e446b.jpg

1Btesting3bulletsadnloads_zpsd0c8149e.jpg

30-06outjug5almostinto6_zpse7ad62d6.jpg

400amp500yardsAccubonds063_zps75747868.jpg

Last picture: 400 yards Accubond - Partition - E-tip
400amp500yardsAccubonds063_zps75747868.jpg

They all expanded nicely, penetrated well, and retained weight.

You didn't mention what state you intend to hunt but because of your user name, I'll mention that Colorado has a 6mm (.24) minimum for big game. Also, a minimum bullet weight of 70gr for deer and 85gr for elk.

Jim1187

Lil-Rokslider
The 60 grain partition is awesome on game. Accuracy has been meh, plenty good enough for deer inside 300 yards usually but when your rifle typically is submoa kinda hard to get excited about 1 1/2" or larger groups. Before they trippled in price up here I liked them best.
I think the golddots are a pretty good choice too.

hippa613

FNG
Ive used the 55gr barnes TSX on many TX whitetail out of my ARs and Howa bolt action (just using factory barnes/remington loaded) with great success. Ive also had decent results with the nosler 64gr bonded solid base soft points (loaded by SSA before they were called nosler defense). We used to have a deer lease with a high number of state management tags and it was way cheaper culling dozens a weekend with the 223 then our buddies that brought rainbow of magnum calibers (one even had a 30-378...). Shot placement is key!