Best .223 bullet for deer

I have had excellent results with just the standard Hornady 55 gr. soft point. That is what the kids use in both 223 and 22-250. Very efficient outcomes. My father-in law favored the Sierra 63 gr. smp.

roymunson

WKR
i have a buddy who did several summer crop kills with a 55 grain vmax. Neck shots and bang flops...

Hello - looking for opinions based on real world experience on the best deer bullet for a .223 Remington. What I’m not interested in is the “use enough gun” argument. My son is 11, very small for his age, and recoil sensitive, and I’m looking to find an accurate and lethal load for him for whitetail hunting this fall. The rifle is a Savage Axis youth with a 1/9 twist, so no bullets over 65 grains either. I have lots of propellants on hand suitable for the .223, including Varget, TAC, Benchmark, CFE-223, and Win 748. Thanks in advance for any recommendations!
I put together a howa 223 with carbon fiber stock for my grandaughter to use
With scope it weighs in at 6.3 lbs
I have loaded the 64 gr win power points over 748
Have not shot a deer as of yet but I hear they work ok in 223
There is some recoil in this light rifle

Axlrod

WKR
I put together a howa 223 with carbon fiber stock for my grandaughter to use
With scope it weighs in at 6.3 lbs
I have loaded the 64 gr win power points over 748
Have not shot a deer as of yet but I hear they work ok in 223
There is some recoil in this light rifle
It is right at 5.7 foot pounds of recoil. You would have to drop down to a 22 Hornet to get less.

ZipsNLbs

FNG
I have to agree with 55gr vmax and neck shots . My wife hates recoil . So after crossbow seasons over she gets it done with the MSR. And 55gr vmaxs . All neck shots and never had to track one she’s 8for 8 over the past few years . And I’ve taken some with the 22-250 53 gr vmax