Best 2 person ultralight tent

Cadesc11

FNG
Hey everyone. Looking for any help/recommendations on the best (semi affordable) ultralight/trekking pole tent set up? Currently am packing around way to heavy of a set up.

I have a Black Diamond Beta Light 2P which I love. Super underrated, storm- and snow-proof. It's comparably priced with the Durston model but almost a pound lighter. That said, it's floorless and the bug protection is perimeter netting so consider what you value in a shelter.

Welcome. Another durston fan here. Clever, well executed design.

The dyneema tents are great and very light but pricey. Rule of thumb is about half the weight for 3x cost. I have and use two but I think a comparable nylon tent is more bang for the buck.

shax2lex

Lil-Rokslider
I'm trying the Argali Owyhee 1p tent this year. You could look at their products. They seem to be pretty good price wise.

Voyageur

WKR
I've used my Tarptent Stratospire 2 for over 10 years now and have no complaints. I would buy another without hesitation if the need arose.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Argali Rincon. We used that a lot this summer and was a great option to setup super fast and stay light. However for the sheep hunt we took the bigger Absorka and I think it's worth the extra weight for all the room you gain for gear. The Rincon or like the Durston xmid like recommended is gonna be kind tight on gear space for 2 if you want to spread out at all.

Beendare

WKR
This is a Tarptent Double rainbow....palace for one....probably tight for 2 decent size guys. 2.5#
Its awesome. I just spent 7 days elk hunting in one.
IMG_1399.jpeg

I like my bigger home made 12' diameter tipi for 2 guys.
Pic is a bit of a mess with all of my hunt gear....

3F UL Gear Lanshan 2 is the most affordable - could be great for a budget and small-ish occupants and some modifications and diy work is necessary.

If you're OKAY with silpoly:
Durston Gear X-Mid 2 is hard to beat actually. IMO solid version wins in this category
Tarptent Stratosphere, Double Rainbow or Lithium DW are the decent options too

Personally I'd hunt for Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL 2/3 on sale - still semi-affordable great option!

Bassman

Lil-Rokslider
Stone Glacier Skyair ULT is a decent option but I would consider it an "emergency" 2P tent. No chance you'd get two dudes in there comfortably but it is a breeze to pack. I'm a Hilleberg fanboy but got tired of carrying it around for summer hiking, scouting trips and early season hunts. Made the switch to a UL tent for those situations and no major regrets.

gf99-99

FNG
I noticed no one mentioned Big Angus.

I have used a couple of there tents now and am very very happy with them. Depending one how light weigh you want to go they have sub 2lbs trail weight 2 person tents. I personally have one and can say it is a very very cozy 2 person tent but it gets the job done.

The other tents that I really like and have used for years are Mountain Hardwear tents, I have spend ALOT of time in one of these and really like there tents.

But to be totally honest trying to shed weight is not going to gain you much when you get into a 2 person tent 3lbs or under area all of them are the same. If you want to save weight start looking at other things like, sleeping bags, sleeping pads, backpacks, clothing, cooking gear, food choices, etc. This is where you can actually cut off multiple pounds.

Bughalli

WKR
In the past I used the Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2. No complaints and happy with it as an all around backpack tent. Very comfortable and still have it. It's really more of a 1.5 person tent, so it holds your gear comfortably, but I wouldn't want to share the tent with someone. It's not really a 2 man tent. I've had it in all kinds of weather in the mountains (heavy wind, rain, snow, etc) and it never let me down. But it weighs around 3lbs.

You can go significantly lighter if you use a trekking pole style tent and pay the extra $$ for Dyneema material. It depends on what you're trying to achieve. I did a bunch of research on this and there's a lot of great options out there. In the end you're kind of splitting hairs. Below is where I ended up. My criteria were - light as possible, small footprint, utilizes trekking poles, simple design, fast to setup, etc. I like to hunt where I always have my full camp with me, which allows me to go anywhere without worrying about getting back to camp.

For a two-man tent, I would go with Zpacks - Duplex tent. It only weighs 17oz, which is crazy light for a two person tent. I seriously considered it. But even with my Copper Spur sometimes it was hard to find a spot big enough without being on top of where I wanted to hunt. I've hunted some steep terrain and if it's flat, that's where the game is. So I tent to camp in random spots to get away from where I think they'll be.

I ended up going with Tarptent Aeon Li, which is smaller but comes in at 19oz. The main reason I went with the Tarptent was because it had the smallest footprint. You can set this up on a deer trail if you had to. The two-man tents are more roomy, but I wanted to be able to place it anywhere. I've only used it a few nights. Still early. Everything is a compromise and given I was trying to go minimalist, it checks all the boxes.