2 person Trekking pole tent

cap4382

FNG
Hey all,
Looking for any experience or recommendations for a 2 person trekking pole tent for me and my son for archery elk this coming fall.

Currently looking at the TarpTent Stratospire 2 vs the Hilleberg Anaris. Sizes look pretty comparable. Probably going to use either one as a floorless tent for elk hunting so weights are pretty close as well. I’ll be using either one as a regular double wall tent for regular camping here in KS in the off season.

Pricing is obviously vastly different between the 2. Is the Hilleberg really worth about double? I think the Stratospire has a little edge in the headroom measurement but I’m more interested in a buy once cry once tent that’ll last for many years and hunts to come.

Any recommendations or experiences with either would be greatly appreciated! Thanks all in advance!!

taskswap

WKR
I'm not personally familiar with the Hilleberg but I spent a night in a Stratospire last summer and think it was a good value for the money. I'm 6' even, and It felt roomy to me, anyway. Setup seemed to take a minute or so longer than my own tents (this was a friend's) just fussing to get a good pitch, but not a big deal, and it was the first time for me.

Again, I don't know the Hilleberg so I don't know if it has this issue, but my one complaint was with the mesh walls, it was really easy for dust to blow in. We shook about a handful of sand out before packing up the next day and it was all over my bag's foot box when I woke up. This was in CO in a dusty area so YMMV. But something to keep in mind. No condensation issue at all, though.

ndbuck09

WKR
my wife and I run a stratospire 2 when out and really love it. You can get the pitch nice and taut and it does feel like it'll stand up to a lot of storm. Haven't had a massive amount of wind with it but it does seem like it would do pretty well. Not sure how it compares to the hille as I've not used it before. For my purposes here in Idaho archery elk hunting, I would trust it fully. It's a lot more and better tent than any of the 3 season traditional backpacking brands like big agnes and similar because we had out big agnes pretty much leveled while in it holding the poles down during a storm.

OP
C

cap4382

FNG
I forgot about the X-mid. I’ll have to compare the 3 and see.

I’m just not sure the Hilleberg is going to be worth the extra $ when I could get the TT SS2 with mesh and solid inners for about 50% less.

I’ll be in CO this fall around 9-10k elevation. For archery elk, I think running any of them w/o the inner will be fine. Not worried about bugs where I’ll be. Mainly trying to cut a little weight and still have something I can use at home for general camping.

I’m planning on doing 2-3 day loops to and from the truck to keep pack weight down for us but of course that’ll depend how quick we get into elk. It’s gonna be my son’s first trip out west and I want to make sure he has a blast. Don’t want to wear the turd down to much!!

Check out the Argali Rincon 2P, I just pulled the trigger on one this morning after anxiously waiting for them to go back on sale. They sold out in about 20 mins so they seem to be pretty popular. I haven't gotten field experience in it yet but I got hands on one at the Western Hunt Expo last month and was very impressed at the weight/cost/functionality balance. Lots of really good things out there about it so I'm excited to use it. Seems to be best suited for 1 man + stove or 2 man no stove with options to run their full or half inner nest or go floorless.

Check out the Argali Rincon 2P, I just pulled the trigger on one this morning after anxiously waiting for them to go back on sale. They sold out in about 20 mins so they seem to be pretty popular. I haven't gotten field experience in it yet but I got hands on one at the Western Hunt Expo last month and was very impressed at the weight/cost/functionality balance. Lots of really good things out there about it so I'm excited to use it. Seems to be best suited for 1 man + stove or 2 man no stove with options to run their full or half inner nest or go floorless.
can't edit that last message for some reason but I misspoke, wanted to correct myself, looks like the add-on inserts sold out, but not the actual tent.

DeePow

FNG
I’m a big fan of my Rincon. I dealt with zero condensation even when I lowered it as much as possible during a rainstorm. I suggest digging a moat around the border because I dealt with a little runoff situation which was quickly mitigated.

I have a SO Silex. As posted above the Guardian is the two person model. These are great shelters and SO is coming out with dedicated floors if you would want one. They can also be ordered with a stove jack to use as a hot tent.

Houseminer

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a fan of the slingfin splitwing. It's nearly a 1.5 man for size and has a decent amount of head clearance. They have a whole tent package as well, or you can just run it as a tarp shelter. Super light and the biggest bonus, for me, is that it pags incredibly small since it's sil-nylon.

Space on my bicycle is limited so running out of spcd comes into play before weight. It's more comfy than a taep and bivy for sure.

I think the downsides of the A-frame style is that you have to crawl in, which isn't the case for a pyramid style. More annoying in muddy ground or during a rain, IMO.

Six moon designs has some cool options for trekking pole tents.

GotDraw?

WKR
I have an X-Mid 2 man and also a 1 man. Fantastic tents. And for comparison sake, I also have a Lunar Duo Outfitter and an REI Half Dome, also a Cuben Fiber tarp + ultra light hammock.

X-Mids are fantastic. Light weight and spacious enough. In fact, 2 men can sleep under the rain fly of the 1-man x-mid w/o pitching the center tent. Snug, but doable and I've done it numerous times. I could be talked into lending you mine to set it up on grass and try it.

Strong recommendation to buy or make 2ea ultra light carbon fiber tent poles with shock cord centers so they break into 3 sections. The idea of a saving weight with a trekking pole based tent is good if you absolutely plan to move every day. However, if you "get into elk" as they say, AND it is very important that you don't "find" elk, because real hunters "get into elk"... anyhow, if you do, you may keep your tent set in one spot for 1-3 days w/your sleeping pads/bags there while you chase your "target animal", because that's what real hunters do. You have to have TARGET ANIMAL, or you're just a newbie, wanna-be. IF you do get lucky and find said target animal, then it sucks to have break your tent down every day just so you can have your trekking poles. You might think you could just drop your tent and leave it flat, and you could, but then you risk being F'd if it rains and you've left your pads and sleeping bags in there and water could get it since the bathtub perimeter will no longer be vertical.

I've done it both ways and it has worked out, but there have been a couple time when I wished I brought the 3-section carbon fiber poles I made because I would have rather left the pads and bags in the standing tent.

PM me if you wish.

JL

Last edited:

Rthur

Lil-Rokslider
We run the triplex with carbon poles.
Partner is 6'6" and has plenty of room.
Weighed the setup tent, carbon poles and 8 light stakes, just north of 30oz.
Only problem is it lightens your wallet considerably.
Have seen 35mph ish winds and think it could take more.
Good pitch helps.

R

Mt Al

WKR
Been following this thread and this one looks like a winner, thanks for posting it. So many options, hard to choose wrong

Been following this thread and this one looks like a winner, thanks for posting it. So many options, hard to choose wrong
Agreed, I'm just excited to step my tent game up a bit. Been carrying around a 5lb 3 Season REI tent for a few years so I'm ready for an upgrade!

OP
C

cap4382

FNG
I have an X-Mid 2 man and also a 1 man. Fantastic tents. And for comparison sake, I also have a Lunar Duo Outfitter and an REI Half Dome, also a Cuben Fiber tarp + ultra light hammock.

X-Mids are fantastic. Light weight and spacious enough. In fact, 2 men can sleep under the rain fly of the 1-man x-mid w/o pitching the center tent. Snug, but doable and I've done it numerous times. I could be talked into lending you mine to set it up on grass and try it.

Strong recommendation to buy or make 2ea ultra light carbon fiber tent poles with shock cord centers so they break into 3 sections. The idea of a saving weight with a trekking pole based tent is good if you absolutely plan to move every day. However, if you "get into elk" as they say, AND it is very important that you don't "find" elk, because real hunters "get into elk"... anyhow, if you do, you may keep your tent set in one spot for 1-3 days w/your sleeping pads/bags there while you chase your "target animal", because that's what real hunters do. You have to have TARGET ANIMAL, or you're just a newbie, wanna-be. IF you do get lucky and find said target animal, then it sucks to have break your tent down every day just so you can have your trekking poles. You might think you could just drop your tent and leave it flat, and you could, but then you risk being F'd if it rains and you've left your pads and sleeping bags in there and water could get it since the bathtub perimeter will no longer be vertical.

I've done it both ways and it has worked out, but there have been a couple time when I wished I brought the 3-section carbon fiber poles I made because I would have rather left the pads and bags in the standing tent.

PM me if you wish.

JL
I’m planning on moving SOME everyday, not necessarily to another drainage but who knows. Trekking poles are mandatory for me regardless of no matter how much I move everyday. Lol. A few knee surgeries into life and my trip in 2022 have me pretty set on using at least 1 almost constantly. Made my last trip so much easier, for me personally.

Not going into the season thinking about going after a target animal necessarily. That doesn’t mean I wouldn’t chase a nice bull around for a day or 2 but I’m not picky as long as it’s legal. My goal is to hunt as much as possible from legal shooting light to legal shooting light and get my son in the mountains for the experience.

I’ll look into the SO options but I’m liking the looks of the X Mid2. A “hot” shelter would be awesome but not for this trip IMO. I know weather gets jacked up there, but I’m not planning on getting too terribly far into a wilderness area I’m looking at. For this trip, I just want to focus on some more good multi-hunt, multi-use gear.