2 person Trekking pole tent

Just recommended a Gossamer Gear the Two to a friend of mine today. The price per ounce is pretty great and the dimensions look good. $320 for under 2 pounds.

Idaboy

WKR
You need to decide on if you want lighter weight tent vs heavier 3/4 season. Hilleberg are great and bomb roof but come at weight price....if it's Sept arch elk and you just need to keep the rain off, plenty of light weight options. Look outside the hunting lines to just good UL backpacking tents....tarp tent and 6 moons make pretty good light trekking pole tents

10ringer

WKR
I forgot about the X-mid. I’ll have to compare the 3 and see.

I’m just not sure the Hilleberg is going to be worth the extra $ when I could get the TT SS2 with mesh and solid inners for about 50% less.

I’ll be in CO this fall around 9-10k elevation. For archery elk, I think running any of them w/o the inner will be fine. Not worried about bugs where I’ll be. Mainly trying to cut a little weight and still have something I can use at home for general camping.

I’m planning on doing 2-3 day loops to and from the truck to keep pack weight down for us but of course that’ll depend how quick we get into elk. It’s gonna be my son’s first trip out west and I want to make sure he has a blast. Don’t want to wear the turd down to much!!

I thought the same and dropped my liner to save weight. Woke up to field mice running through my tent and chewing on my pack all night…liner comes with me 100% now!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WCS

Lil-Rokslider
Own a Stratospire Li and an X-Mid, and have a buddy who has an Anaris. While the Anaris is built like a brick shithouse, I don't think it does anything special over the other two to justify the jump in price (and I say this as guy who owns a few Hillebergs). Between the Stratospire and the X-Mid, they are very close. I would say the X-Mid packs down smaller and is a little cheaper. The Stratospire is slightly more stable in big winds. Flip a coin and I'm sure you would be more than happy with either the X-Mid or the Stratospire.

CMF

WKR
another vote for DD xmid 2. I've had mine for about 4 years now. I don't think the vestibule is mentioned enough when considering the xmid. With two people, we each have enough room in the vestibule for pack, bow, and boots.

I have an X-Mid 2 man and also a 1 man. Fantastic tents. And for comparison sake, I also have a Lunar Duo Outfitter and an REI Half Dome, also a Cuben Fiber tarp + ultra light hammock.

X-Mids are fantastic. Light weight and spacious enough. In fact, 2 men can sleep under the rain fly of the 1-man x-mid w/o pitching the center tent. Snug, but doable and I've done it numerous times. I could be talked into lending you mine to set it up on grass and try it.

Strong recommendation to buy or make 2ea ultra light carbon fiber tent poles with shock cord centers so they break into 3 sections. The idea of a saving weight with a trekking pole based tent is good if you absolutely plan to move every day. However, if you "get into elk" as they say, AND it is very important that you don't "find" elk, because real hunters "get into elk"... anyhow, if you do, you may keep your tent set in one spot for 1-3 days w/your sleeping pads/bags there while you chase your "target animal", because that's what real hunters do. You have to have TARGET ANIMAL, or you're just a newbie, wanna-be. IF you do get lucky and find said target animal, then it sucks to have break your tent down every day just so you can have your trekking poles. You might think you could just drop your tent and leave it flat, and you could, but then you risk being F'd if it rains and you've left your pads and sleeping bags in there and water could get it since the bathtub perimeter will no longer be vertical.

I've done it both ways and it has worked out, but there have been a couple time when I wished I brought the 3-section carbon fiber poles I made because I would have rather left the pads and bags in the standing tent.

PM me if you wish.

JL
Could cut some limbs to stand the tent up and get your trekking poles back if need be.

If you’re open to floorless, hard to beat the weight and size of the Warbonnet Ground Tarp.