Bedside gun storage

Flgrizzy

Lil-Rokslider
I’d be interested in the average age of the people responding.

I’m old enough to be considered a “boomer”. We always had guns in the house and some unsecured. We were taught to respect them, we were allowed to shoot them, handle them, etc…..and yes occasionally we had friends in the house.

We never had any issues whatsoever. We knew not to touch them unless Dad was supervising and maybe it’s either fear or respect, but we didn’t fool with them if he wasn’t with us, period.

I’m just wondering how we got to the point that we have to make everything “safe”? Lock your guns up, wear your helmet, wear your seatbelt, etc……

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I’m 53 now and my boys are 12 and 14. I perfectly agree with you on guns, knives and EVERYTHING else that would need to be put away…. HOWEVER - I also see and 100% agree with the circumstances that dictate RESPONSIBILITY when kids friends are around.

Flgrizzy

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for
Flgrizzly: While I agree it’s good to have people familiar with weapons, you can never account for anybody else in the house (friends, relatives, etc). Also, at the end of the day a 10 year old kid is still a 10 year old kid. Mistakes can and do happen. I could never live with myself if I let something happen like this because I was too stubborn to properly store a firearm. I STRONGLY recommend you reconsider your thinking on this topic.
Thank you for the suggestion…. I’m fine with MY decisions and I’d also like to clarify that I DO NOT have an irresponsible demeanor. IF I painted a picture of my home having guns and other harmful items CARELESSLY strewn about, I apologize. That is NOT the case at all.

Like others, I grew up in a place and time where there was a shotgun in the corner by the door. Pistols in sock drawers, and rifles in truck windows.

But things do change.

If you want a reliable quick access safe, then I would skip over bio metrics and electronic locks. Get something with a Simplex lock. very easy to use, even in the dark. Doesn't rely on batteries and you don't have to worry about a sweaty or bloody finger print not reading.

I went down a youtube rabbit hole watching pistol safe reviews and then people breaking into the highly recommended ones. This one was highly recommended by a few channels and a guy was able to punch the lock out with a hammer and screwdriver in about 8 swings. The locking mechanism is connected to the top with small screws and isn't reinforced...

Another guy broke into one with a fork. That was kinda funny.

MattB

WKR
I have a Vaultek which I like (as stated, great travel safe) as well as an older biometric one. The biometric occasionally fails to recognize my finger print and takes a few swipes to open which is far from ideal.

Buzby

WKR
Now that everyone has thrown in their $.02 in how to raise kids with guns in the house, to the OP looking for a bedside safe;

I have a hard time relying on a 9v battery or cheap biometrics in this situation. I ended up with a Fas1 safe. It’s built like a tank and uses a fully mechanical lock. With a bit of practice it very fast to unlock.

Apparently Fort Knox fixed their safes after the video I mentioned above. I'll probably pick one from this list based on watching his videos.

And if you want to watch him pick a Gunvault with a gum wrapper...

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I no longer have kids at home, grandkids every so often. I have a bedroom shelf with magnetic locks for my handgun storage. No one in the family is aware of this fact except the wife and me. As for the rest of my weapons they are in long gun safe bolted to the concrete floor with three inch anchors, only accessible from inside safe. Unless you have a method of firmly securing small lock box, and you have break in, not only will you lose gun, the lock box will go with it. But they will prevent kids or invited visitors from accessing you firearms, which is the topic of this post.

ofl0926

WKR
What about having a shotgun in the bedroom? Thoughts on that? My gun safe is clear across the other side of the house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Apparently Fort Knox fixed their safes after the video I mentioned above. I'll probably pick one from this list based on watching his videos.

And if you want to watch him pick a Gunvault with a gum wrapper...

What about having a shotgun in the bedroom? Thoughts on that? My gun safe is clear across the other side of the house.

First off, are there young kids in the house. If so I would say no unless the door stays locked or gun has trigger lock on it. Keep chamber empty. You could take trigger lock off at night, you don't want to be stumbling around in the dark trying to unlock the lock.

ofl0926

WKR
First off, are there young kids in the house. If so I would say no unless the door stays locked or gun has trigger lock on it. Keep chamber empty. You could take trigger lock off at night, you don't want to be stumbling around in the dark trying to unlock the lock.

Yeah we have a 5 and 3 year old.
Just an option. I have my pistol in a little safe but I’ve always thought about the shot gun and some way of securing it next to the bed

They make quick access safes for one long gun. I don’t know the details but you can find one.

OP
chaser_2332

chaser_2332

Lil-Rokslider
The vaultek arrived today and has been programmed. Seems to fit the bill perfect for what I’m looking for. I’m well aware of the YouTube videos of people being able to break into them with some know how, however it’s going to give me great piece of mind around a toddler and her friends.

bsnedeker

WKR
The vaultek arrived today and has been programmed. Seems to fit the bill perfect for what I’m looking for. I’m well aware of the YouTube videos of people being able to break into them with some know how, however it’s going to give me great piece of mind around a toddler and her friends.
Yeah, they aren't meant to stop a determined thief...frankly very few security devices are in reality.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

Chuckybmd

WKR
Which model did you get?

Tod osier

WKR
There was a run of Amazon basics electronic safes that I use for my hand guns. They work well.

I don’t care how many times you’ve taught a kid to respect guns, they don’t have the cognitive ability to understand life and death and the full consequences of what gun can do.

Unfortunately kids can still get into guns no matter how well prepared you think they are.

So how did we survive?

What has changed?

Like others, I grew up in a place and time where there was a shotgun in the corner by the door. Pistols in sock drawers, and rifles in truck windows.

But things do change.

If you want a reliable quick access safe, then I would skip over bio metrics and electronic locks. Get something with a Simplex lock. very easy to use, even in the dark. Doesn't rely on batteries and you don't have to worry about a sweaty or bloody finger print not reading.

Ok what has changed, except the perception that guns are bad?

Ok what has changed, except the perception that guns are bad?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pr
Kids died by gun accidents “back in the day”. People were mangled in industrial accidents “back in the day”. Car crashes were more likely to be fatal “back in the day”. What has changed is we have options to prevent or reduce these tragedies. If you don’t care about your kids go ahead and leave loaded guns laying around. Thats a thing that’s still the same.