Bedside gun storage

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I’d be interested in the average age of the people responding.

I’m old enough to be considered a “boomer”. We always had guns in the house and some unsecured. We were taught to respect them, we were allowed to shoot them, handle them, etc…..and yes occasionally we had friends in the house.

We never had any issues whatsoever. We knew not to touch them unless Dad was supervising and maybe it’s either fear or respect, but we didn’t fool with them if he wasn’t with us, period.

I’m just wondering how we got to the point that we have to make everything “safe”? Lock your guns up, wear your helmet, wear your seatbelt, etc……

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I'm definitely a boomer and then some. And like you we, my brothers and me grew up around guns, they were always around, not secured. Because they were alway there, the curiosity factor did not exist. the respect for guns and the proper handling was something embedded in us from day one. To us guns were a means of putting food on the table, not just something to go out and shoot away to our hearts content. Times were different then. Now days lots of people gets guns for personal protection and a lot of them have never owned a weapon before and after they get the gun and maybe take safety and shooting classes, the novelty wears off and the gun gets put in a dresser drawer and forgotten.
As to how we got to where we are today, there are many reason. One of the reasons is, People today are less tolerant than they were back when I was young, so rather than step out on the street and have good old fashion fist fight, now people pull to a knife or a gun and settle it that way. Cultural and social standing difference along with gang activity add to the mix.

Marbles

WK Donkey
Classified Approved

I’m old enough to be considered a “boomer”. We always had guns in the house and some unsecured. We were taught to respect them, we were allowed to shoot them, handle them, etc…..and yes occasionally we had friends in the house.

We never had any issues whatsoever. We knew not to touch them unless Dad was supervising and maybe it’s either fear or respect, but we didn’t fool with them if he wasn’t with us, period.

I’m just wondering how we got to the point that we have to make everything “safe”? Lock your guns up, wear your helmet, wear your seatbelt, etc……

My great grandfather kept a revolver, did stunts like shooting quarters out of the air with it for money. One day one of my great uncles decided to show off to his frinds (about 13 years old). He was going to shoot a quarter out of the air. Buy the end of it, one of his friends was dead.

One of my other great uncles (family of 13 kids, dirt poor, lived in the river bottoms on the Arkansas River) would be woken up by my great grandmother as a kid and handed a single 22 lr bullet and told to being a squirrel back for breakfast. According to my grandmother, he would occasionally bring back 2 squirrels. So, the kids knew about guns well.

The idea that this was once not a problem represents blindness, not the wisdom of age.

Chuckybmd

WKR
There was a run of Amazon basics electronic safes that I use for my hand guns. They work well.

I don’t care how many times you’ve taught a kid to respect guns, they don’t have the cognitive ability to understand life and death and the full consequences of what gun can do.

Unfortunately kids can still get into guns no matter how well prepared you think they are.

Chuckybmd

WKR
My great grandfather kept a revolver, did stunts like shooting quarters out of the air with it for money. One day one of my great uncles decided to show off to his frinds (about 13 years old). He was going to shoot a quarter out of the air. Buy the end of it, one of his friends was dead.

One of my other great uncles (family of 13 kids, dirt poor, lived in the river bottoms on the Arkansas River) would be woken up by my great grandmother as a kid and handed a single 22 lr bullet and told to being a squirrel back for breakfast. According to my grandmother, he would occasionally bring back 2 squirrels. So, the kids knew about guns well.

The idea that this was once not a problem represents blindness, not the wisdom of age.
Very well said. Many families share painful stories about accidental shootings. These seldom hit the news in a bygone era.

Doesn’t mean they didn’t happen.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Very well said. Many families share painful stories about accidental shootings. These seldom hit the news in a bygone era.

Doesn’t mean they didn’t happen.
You are so right about accidents which never got reported. Not Amy more with 24 hour instant access to the entire world. I for one don't think it's a good thing.

I’m Gen X. I grew up with guns, had the keys to the gun cabinet in my early teens and was handloading on my own in my mid-late teens. I don’t think that was the best idea. Nothing bad happened but it sure could have. Several times riding motorcycles in the desert I handed dads .357 to other kids without knowing what kind of gun handling skills they had beforehand. Bad idea.

People also used to work on eguipment without locking it out. That simple safety measure has saved a lot of lives since OSHA started requiring it. Seatbelts have saved a lot of lives. Taking things on with a safety foremost in your thoughts is just smart. Scoffing at it is silly and potentially dangerous to those around you.

Last edited:

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I’m Gen X. I grew up with guns, had the keys to the gun cabinet in my early teens and was handloading on my own in my mid-late teens. I don’t think that was the best idea. Nothing bad happened but it sure could have. Several times riding motorcycles in the desert I handed dads .357 to other kids without knowing what kind of gun handling skills they had beforehand. Bad idea.

People also used to work on eguipment without locking it out before working on it. That simple safety measure has saved a lot of lives since OSHA started requiring it. Seatbelts have saved a lot of lives. Taking things on with a safety foremost in your thoughts is just smart. Scoffing at it is silly and potentially dangerous to those around you.
I think the hand loading was a great idea, it gave you a better understanding and perspective of the operation of firearms. The handing off the .357 not so much a great idea,

Another safety gear rant coming…

I ride a motorcycle on and off road and always wear my safety gear, head to toe. As a kid I only wore a helmet. Also lucky I was never injured.

My helmet has saved me from a potential head injury on more than one occasion. The saying goes “If you ride a motorcycle it’s not a question of if you are going to crash, it’s a question of when and how bad”. If you ride a big bike off road you are going to “get off” several times.

When I see a rider without a helmet I wonder how much they really respect the ones that love them. Our skulls are no match for hard objects at inhuman speed.

I have an acquaintance who’s dad always rode the Harley without a helmet. It just wasn’t “cool”. He had a fairly slow speed crash. Now his wife changes his diapers.

Last edited:
My five year old grandson seems very intelligent, and yet he will not believe you when you tell him somethings hot. He has to burn himself first. Maybe not every kid, but some kids you just need to lock dangerous stuff away from them. Drugs guns etc. probably in a year or two he‘ll have enough sense Where it won’t be a problem anymore. For now better safe than sorry. 64 year old boomer.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
My five year old grandson seems very intelligent, and yet he will not believe you when you tell him somethings hot. He has to burn himself first. Maybe not every kid, but some kids you just need to lock dangerous stuff away from them. Drugs guns etc. probably in a year or two he‘ll have enough sense Where it won’t be a problem anymore. For now better safe than sorry. 64 year old boomer.
Tell someone there are 100 trillion stars in our galaxy and they will believe you. tell the the park bench has wet paint and, they will touch it to see of you are telling the truth.

Great for around younger kids in the single digits. Great for a little extra safety in vehicles and camping too.

Marbles

WK Donkey
Classified Approved
I have keypad only. Most biometrics would not keep an intelligent teenager with access to youtube out.

Shotlock products are pretty good, but not cheap. They are not perfect, but all the weaknesses can be easily corrected if desired.

Chuckybmd

WKR
Have both on my safe. Thought biometrics would be the best. In truth, the keypad works most reliably. (Amazon Basics Pistol Safe).

Curious about how reliably the Vaultek biometrics are?

LuvDog

FNG
Like others, I grew up in a place and time where there was a shotgun in the corner by the door. Pistols in sock drawers, and rifles in truck windows.

But things do change.

If you want a reliable quick access safe, then I would skip over bio metrics and electronic locks. Get something with a Simplex lock. very easy to use, even in the dark. Doesn't rely on batteries and you don't have to worry about a sweaty or bloody finger print not reading.

Flgrizzy

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with most points here, i myself have always have guns propped in corners from that weeks hunting or bedside guns ready for quick access. My daughter is 3 and i will take every opportunity to teach her gun safety and remove the stigma from them however I’m not willing to risk an accident over somthing that could be avoided. Add that to the fact that we now have her friends over all the time i don’t want to constantly have to think of everything is up and safed away. Too many adults accidentally shoot themselves “that have been around guns their whole lives” in accidents much less kids. That’s would be a hard pill to swallow if somthing like that happened to my daughter or some other kid becuase i felt my pride got in the way of feeling my “kid knows better.” Just my thoughts on the situation. Couple that with that fact that the new solutions have gotten so nice it’s not going to hinder access when needed.
Excellent views here.. and I respect ALL of them. This is one of those topics that seems to go either way BUT YES, times are definitely different now. Here‘s another observation in MOST ALL of the responses… it’s mentioned avoiding an “ACCIDENT“ . I’m one to see the NEGLIGENCE in the all too common tragedy of children accessing a firearm and ACCIDENTALLY shooting someone. Could be negligent…but, isn’t it also most times the owner kept the gun as a taboo item and the kid with sneaks to get it ? AND THEN they “act” to shoot (in which the tragedy REALLY happens by ACCIDENT)….OR the child is 2,3,4,5 yrs old and can’t grasp the concept of safety yet ?

Flgrizzy

Lil-Rokslider
Do all of your children's friends have the same level of instruction on firearms safety as your children do? Do you have the same level of trust with every person you allow into your home?

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk
No THEY don’t and I NEVER assume they would. THAT is the time(s) that I secure ALL of my firearms. My comments were based on what I perceived as storing firearms at home WITHOUT kids friends around. You are SPOT ON in your comments and views for kids company times. Thank you.
Frank