Becca's Kodiak Brown Bear Hunt 2016

Good grief that's a big bear. Didn't anyone tell it that the .308 is too small to kill big bears?

I thought maybe those two tents were the June and Ward Cleaver setup, one for each of you. Congrats on an epic adventure spent with each other.

Wow, congratulations to both of you on your anniversary and especially to you Becca for your bear. If my wife and I had ever gone bear hunting for our anniversary, perhaps I'd still be married.

Manosteel

WKR
Congrats Becca! I always love seeing the pics of you and Luke all packed and ready to begin your hunts, it always seems you guys pack everything including the kitchen sink lol

We have been home a week, and I figured some of you would enjoy a quick recap of my recent Kodiak Bear Hunt. I have been busy with work and getting ready for the packraft rondy next week, so this will be more photos than writing. Luke and I spent 10 nights and 11 days with no one but each other, and celebrated our 8th wedding anniversary a little early. The trip itself was truly incredible, and we had an amazing time regardless of filling my tag.

To get to where we hunted we flew

And we floated

And we hiked

We got our camp set up

And saw three great boars the first day, but couldn't shoot due to same day airborne rules. We had high expectations for finding a good bear!

I see you picked a great transporter too!
I love flying with Rolland!

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It might be a region-specific "thing" to eat grizzly meat, but Kodiak brownies are so biologically connected to fish and marine life...the meat would make most bushrats puke.

I've never heard of anyone eating a brown bear from the coastal regions.

Bighorse

WKR
Except other Brownies L.B.! Becca well done. Despite the brevity of this post I know you exerted a super effort and tested yourself. That skin should always stand as a testiment of a time you persevered and excelled. Luke buddy, you put together sweet adventures. Get your stuff together and dog leg a little further south someday!
Lily wants a Kodiak permit and should the ADFG drawing produce we'll do a hunt fall of 17 for her senior year project.

Gobbler36

WKR
It might be a region-specific "thing" to eat grizzly meat, but Kodiak brownies are so biologically connected to fish and marine life...the meat would make most bushrats puke.

I've never heard of anyone eating a brown bear from the coastal regions.

Good to know
I can definitely see how that would affect the flavor for sure.

elkyinzer

WKR
Wow, really awesome trip capped off my a nice bear. My wife doesn't hunt and never will, which I have conflicting feelings about, but something like this would be so cool to experience together. Good for you two living the dream!

OP
Becca

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
What a tale. That is incredible. Thank you for sharing that with us.

I hate to get gear geeky but what is that tan "front pack" you are wearing in a few of the pics?

Thanks again,

MarlinMark

Both Luke and I use Bino pouches made by Alaska Guide Creations. I keep all the essentials to stalk and kill a critter close at hand (binos, rangefinder, license and tags, extra ammo if needed, havelon, camera, snack bar). Have used several versions of the AGC since 2010, and couldn't be happier with them.

OP
Becca

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
I see you picked a great transporter too!
I love flying with Rolland!

Rolan, Jo and all the folks at Seahawk are amazing. They really go above and beyond, and I look forward to flying with them whenever we are in Kodiak.

Fjelljeger

Lil-Rokslider
Great way to spend an Anniversary! The wife and I cant wait to make it up to Alaska and experience some real adventures of our own. Very inspirational stories and great photos. It is always said that couples that play together stay together!

Congrats Becca! This has me very excited for the Fall hunt! Very nice bear and it looks like you two had one hell of a trip. Way to go!

Disco14

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats- awesome adventure and thanks for sharing the photos! What a great way to celebrate your anniversary.