Becca's Kodiak Brown Bear Hunt 2016

Stid2677

WKR
Well done you two, can't wait to hear the story around the fire next week.

Awesomeness!!!!!

Steve

daddie63

WKR
Awesome hunt and memory especially for an anniversary. Enjoyed the story and photos very much. You're a tough little lady no doubt. Congrats to you both.

Great hunt, looks like the south end of Kodiak Island, maybe on the Ayakulik River?

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

Great story!
Well done and congratulations to the both of you!
I love that place:)

I too was wondering what river lol
I had a North Karluk tag last fall:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Becca

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for your kind words everyone. This really was an incredible adventure, one the two of us will cherish for years to come.

and a quick note to the fanboys. notice the Kifaru and Kuiu shelters nestled peacefully together

Ha! We never go to Kodiak with just a single shelter, and these two totally different tents made for a great camp set up. We used the saw tooth as the hang out/gear bomb tent, and as always it was great to be able to drag in wet/bloody/dirty and not worry about it. The Kuiu Stormstar gave us a bombproof place to sleep...this was the first time we had used it, and the interior space headspace and double vestibules are great improvements over other two person backpacking style tents we have used.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Congrats to both of you on the bear and the 8 years together. Best part...the .308. :) You don't need a wheeled cannon, take what you are comfortable with and pick your shot. Well done, we'll be looking forward to pics and stories from the rondy as well as the long term test on the tent. Well done.

OP
Becca

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Congrats to both of you on the bear and the 8 years together. Best part...the .308. :) You don't need a wheeled cannon, take what you are comfortable with and pick your shot.

I spent a lot of time shooting this winter, and ultimately decided it was more important to shoot a rifle I knew I could shoot well, and only take the shot if I felt confident of my shot placement. Even as we were waiting for the bear to stand up, I told Luke I wasn't shooting unless the bear gave me the right shot opportunity.

Probably the best thing I did to get ready was practice from field positions. I actually took a closed cell foam pad and my backpack to the range, and practiced lots of shots both seated and prone off my backpack until my form and confidence improved. I got some funny looks, but who cares :)

also had my .308 ported this winter, it's a lot louder now, but it barely kicks at all so that made it easier and more pleasant to practice.

Last edited:
OP
Becca

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Great story, thanks for sharing!

Just curious, how much does a bear hide with feet weigh, it looks enormous!

Not entirely sure the weight of that load, my guess is more than 100lbs. We pulled the feet out the next evening and were able to get it under 100lb to check as baggage on AK airlines (in a plastic trash can).

The bad weather prevented me from doing much meat removal on the skull, so it weighed 35lbs by itself when we came out of the field. I have taken the skulls out of a number of hides (mostly mountain goats, sheep and caribou) but the sheer size and weight of this skull and hide really increased the degree of difficulty. Just harder to manuever it around...although it's less technically difficult due to no tear ducts or antlers/horns to contend with. Trying to do it under a tarp shelter during a hurricane didn't help either.

MarlinMark

Lil-Rokslider
What a tale. That is incredible. Thank you for sharing that with us.

I hate to get gear geeky but what is that tan "front pack" you are wearing in a few of the pics?

Thanks again,

MarlinMark

Gobbler36

WKR
Unbelievable story I can only hope to get that opportunity one day.
I am curious though, I saw the hide and trophy parts come out but did you bring the meat out?
For those that know is grizzly descent table fare?
Do you cook it like black bear?

Randle

WKR
Very impressive bear, fun story and what a great way to celebrate. All your prep paid off big. I bet there are no funny looks now. Congrats.

Congrats Luke & Becca on your anniversary and hunt. Great looking bear. What a great place to spend time for an anniversary! Always enjoy your hunting recaps.