Bear defense - gun shooting tactics???

SunShine

Lil-Rokslider
Guys are handloading DoubleTap 200g hardcast (DoubleTap's 200g hardcast bullet (gas checked) specifically because it is made fot the 10mm auto--can actually tapercrimp /a bit of roll crimp into cannelure for that purpose in this bullet while maintaining the headspacing off the casemouth.) bullets up to and over 1400 fps with 6" barrels like the Glock G40. With the extra mass of the long slide, the G40 seesm to absorb that recoil very well. That's at or near 900 ft. lbs. of energy without mods or muzzle brake on a Glock G40, although some guys are putting in KKM barrels and the like because of Glocks rifling supposedly building up lead with the polygonal rifling (Polygonal Rifling in Glocks: Why It Matters!). Pretty hard to beat with 16 rounds in the pistol.

I stagger 200g DT hardcast with 200g Hornady XTPs doing the same velocity through a KKM barrel. (Clocking in at an average of about 1375fps+) If I have to deal with a wolf pack, I want some expanding bullets in there too. An Inforce APLc (2 oz.) light and Ameriglo night sites rounds out the package.

I’m using 230 grain Double Tap out of the box as my first 3 rounds before my Hornady Critical Defense hollow points for 3 rounds and finish the clip with Remington 180 grain sabers in my Colt Delta Elite 10mm. I don’t have brown bear in Florida but black bear , wild boar , alligator need to be stopped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daubsnu1

FNG
One my Assistant Directors took a job in Fairbanks. I called her "Girl-Nola," she was all about camping, being outdoors, loved living there. She met a guy who was equally outdoorsy, and they camped often.

Wife and I were up to visit and asked about bears and their preferred choice for protection.

The choice: Remington 870 loaded with slugs.

Probably nothing better in a straight up 'here comes the bear...grab your weapon' scenario than a shotgun with slugs. Superior immediate knockdown power. The problems are usually surprise (the bear), and accessibility (the shotgun) which makes it tough to depend on for random sudden encounters when hunting, fishing, etc. But if you know you're going into a hazardous situation with gun in hands....the slug-loaded shotgun is a winner.

jmden

WKR
Probably nothing better in a straight up 'here comes the bear...grab your weapon' scenario than a shotgun with slugs. Superior immediate knockdown power. The problems are usually surprise (the bear), and accessibility (the shotgun) which makes it tough to depend on for random sudden encounters when hunting, fishing, etc. But if you know you're going into a hazardous situation with gun in hands....the slug-loaded shotgun is a winner.

This makes sense to me. The guy just killed in WY by griz was working on taking apart an elk apparently. How many of us, in that sceneario, would have a shotgun close enough or have it slung across our bodies...? Very few, I would think.

This is one reason that I have my G40 and other pistols I might carry in a paddle holster. They are set up to fit on the waistbelt of my pack (has a 1 1/2" nylon webbing exterior to hip belt paddle goes on) and come off easily and then put onto my shorts/pants as needed if I don't have the pack on. Always securely at hand...

Known pistol encounters with bears (all bears) have a very high success rate. I have repeatedly posted this link here: GUN WATCH: Pistols for Defense against Bears? Failures are Rare

Two very recent griz encounters with hunters in MT ended with use of pistols to stop the bears, as I recall, from the articles.

Also, keep in mind that the Danish military in Greenland has settled on the 10mm Glock G20 as their pistol defense against polar bears: Great Danes: A Look at Danish Special Operations’ Elite Units "Because they are more likely to encounter hungry polar bears than enemy troops, members of the Sirius Sledge Patrol carry Glock 20 10mm pistols and bolt-action rifles " There was also an article in August 2018 American Rifleman about the 10mm and how the Danesof the Sirius Sled Dog Patrol in Greenland are using them, specifically with polar bears in mind.

Last edited:

Rokwiia

WKR
It's difficult to train to shoot a moving target such as a grizzly. It usually happens in the blink of an eye. You see your life before you as this freight train is bearing down (no pun intended) on you with the speed of a thoroughbred. The bear's head and body are both undulating up and down with every stride. Just when you think you zeroed in the vital area to shoot...poof...it's gone.

Here is a good video showing a charging bear and its body movements. You can see why it is extremely difficult to get a clean shot on the intended target. Never mind that you may be hyperventilating while fear takes hold of your entire body.

I shoot a lot at a gun club I belong to. There's no training I can do there that can possibly prepare me for hitting a lighting-fast body that serpentines in every direction.

[video=youtube;BNwXD-jGaKE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNwXD-jGaKE[/video]

Ive had one close range full on rodeo with a blackie. Lets just say i was glad as hell for the capacity and needless to say my accuracy was for shit. I carry the G20 10 times outta 10 compared to the 329pd or my 45LCs. Already bought an RMR for the glock. Just gotta get the slide milled now.
As a point of reference ive shot a few kinds of action pistol and even bullseye. I was pretty embarassed by my shooting. I hold myself to a pretty high standard whether its rifle or pistol and my pride took a hit on that one. Imho acion shooting accuracy is greatly improved with a red dot...hence the RMR. I may not like it in that capacity but ill give it a try.
Aaaand to conclude my long rant, ill say even imperfect shots add up in a fight. Flip the switch and do whatever it takes to get your mindset all "killy" (counts in all serious situations). Having the right mindset can carry the day and being on the offensive is way better than the other way around (unfortunately getting surprised at close range does make that tough).
Anyways, rant over. Be safe, shoot straight, and all that stuff...

OP
Desk Jockey
It's difficult to train to shoot a moving target such as a grizzly. It usually happens in the blink of an eye. You see your life before you as this freight train is bearing down (no pun intended) on you with the speed of a thoroughbred. The bear's head and body are both undulating up and down with every stride. Just when you think you zeroed in the vital area to shoot...poof...it's gone.

Here is a good video showing a charging bear and its body movements. You can see why it is extremely difficult to get a clean shot on the intended target. Never mind that you may be hyperventilating while fear takes hold of your entire body.

I shoot a lot at a gun club I belong to. There's no training I can do there that can possibly prepare me for hitting a lighting-fast body that serpentines in every direction.

[video=youtube;BNwXD-jGaKE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNwXD-jGaKE[/video]

While I don’t disagree with your thoughts above I will toss this out.

We did an idpa stage called pack of dogs. :

http://lakecountyidpa.com/matchstages/1-2-16/Dogs.pdf

Turning the target access 90 degrees threw a few of us off in terms of the habitual vertically aligned target and sight picture.

So we rigged a sledge with a target to simulate a charging dog. 5 shots as it moved from 15 to 5 yards.

Wrench

WKR
Guys are handloading DoubleTap 200g hardcast (DoubleTap's 200g hardcast bullet (gas checked) specifically because it is made fot the 10mm auto--can actually tapercrimp /a bit of roll crimp into cannelure for that purpose in this bullet while maintaining the headspacing off the casemouth.) bullets up to and over 1400 fps with 6" barrels like the Glock G40. With the extra mass of the long slide, the G40 seesm to absorb that recoil very well. That's at or near 900 ft. lbs. of energy without mods or muzzle brake on a Glock G40, although some guys are putting in KKM barrels and the like because of Glocks rifling supposedly building up lead with the polygonal rifling (Polygonal Rifling in Glocks: Why It Matters!). Pretty hard to beat with 16 rounds in the pistol.

I stagger 200g DT hardcast with 200g Hornady XTPs doing the same velocity through a KKM barrel. (Clocking in at an average of about 1375fps+) If I have to deal with a wolf pack, I want some expanding bullets in there too. An Inforce APLc (2 oz.) light and Ameriglo night sites rounds out the package.

I load the DT 200 to 1250 in a g20 and 1911's. I have had the opportunity to shove a 10mm into a bear at 10 feet when I surprised a big boar. I typically have 200DT's wfn loaded, but I had shot a bunch of them that day and I loaded some 200 xtp's to cut the leading and was going to complete that when my day changed. I had spotted a bear and planned on cutting it off. I had a draw that I had to cross and when I peeked over the edge of a grassed in road the boar was staring at me at "smell his breath" range. I didn't think about anything other than every single thing that could go wrong. I landed the one shot right between his eyes and recovered the bullet 16" deep into his neck. He dropped instantly but I was wound up!

Funny thing about that day, my wife was flipping me the business because I had to have a specific holster and the uncle Mikes wasn't gonna cut it. After that little draw session she's completely understanding. DSC_3071_zpsmsqwtzrd.jpg

rodney482

WKR
No im a professional police officer and firearms instructor. Free ammo for 26 years has paid off. I also hold the only department distinguished expert award for shooting.

With the plates its all timing, and no I cant do that everytime.

So so you’re a USPSA GM?

jmden

WKR
I load the DT 200 to 1250 in a g20 and 1911's. I have had the opportunity to shove a 10mm into a bear at 10 feet when I surprised a big boar. I typically have 200DT's wfn loaded, but I had shot a bunch of them that day and I loaded some 200 xtp's to cut the leading and was going to complete that when my day changed. I had spotted a bear and planned on cutting it off. I had a draw that I had to cross and when I peeked over the edge of a grassed in road the boar was staring at me at "smell his breath" range. I didn't think about anything other than every single thing that could go wrong. I landed the one shot right between his eyes and recovered the bullet 16" deep into his neck. He dropped instantly but I was wound up!

Funny thing about that day, my wife was flipping me the business because I had to have a specific holster and the uncle Mikes wasn't gonna cut it. After that little draw session she's completely understanding. View attachment 80329

Nice work! That's some good info on the 200 XTP as well. Good to know. Thanks.