Votes: 4 1.5%
  • 6-284

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • 6 Rem

Votes: 8 3.0%

• Total voters

Scottyboy

WKR
What about any of these with a 16” bbl? Is anyone besides ruger making a shorter barreled rifle? I know the chop/thread idea for suppressor (which is my use case) but any 6’s in 16….maybe 18” factory offerings? Do not reload personally, but would ask UM to load for me for the right setup

What about any of these with a 16” bbl? Is anyone besides ruger making a shorter barreled rifle? I know the chop/thread idea for suppressor (which is my use case) but any 6’s in 16….maybe 18” factory offerings? Do not reload personally, but would ask UM to load for me for the right setup

Lots of 18”ish 6 creedmoors around here. That’s what I’m using for my primary hunting rifle and will use it for 1 day NRL hunter matches as well where power factor doesn’t really matter if not in the factory class. No concerns with reloading creed but there isn’t really much for factory offerings in the short barrels either. Chop/thread is pretty cheap.

The 6mm ARC was designed to be used with an 18” barrel. 16 and 18” barrel uppers for ARs are common. I’m a bolt action guy but man I’m really digging my 18” barrel 6mm ARC gas gun. It might kick out the bolt actions on many hunts. So much lighter and compact.

To go even a step further what cartridge would people recommend for a 10.5-12.5 inch barrel? Max range 300-400 ideally (and not elk).

I’m tempted to permanently attach my least favorite 30 cal can to an SBR but not need a stamp for it.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
To go even a step further what cartridge would people recommend for a 10.5-12.5 inch barrel? Max range 300-400 ideally (and not elk).

I’m tempted to permanently attach my least favorite 30 cal can to an SBR but not need a stamp for it.

6 ARC will keep good bullets above 1,800fps at or past 400 yards, at 5k DA from 11.5” and longer barrels.

OP
passinggas33
Thanks for all the feedback guys on the rifle choices. Now to get them and put them all together. Once they are all done up, I’ll get some pics posted for sharing. And hopefully some pics with some field use!!
Finally finished the two rifles. It took me a bit, but finally done. Sons is on top, mine is on bottom. Same stocks. Same scopes. Same suppressors. Only difference is action, barrel, and caliber. But both are really close. Sons ended up being a 6ARC build off the howa mini chassis, and mine is a Tikka 6CM (converted a 243). Both are sitting in stockys stocks and wearing Trijicon Credo HX 2.5-15x42. Yes I spoil my son. And that’s okay. It allows him and I to spend time together, and I won’t put a price tag on that.

Thanks again to all for your input and help on deciding which route to go!

Attachments

• IMG_3004.jpeg
    IMG_3004.jpeg
    467.4 KB · Views: 70

crich

WKR
Finally finished the two rifles. It took me a bit, but finally done. Sons is on top, mine is on bottom. Same stocks. Same scopes. Same suppressors. Only difference is action, barrel, and caliber. But both are really close. Sons ended up being a 6ARC build off the howa mini chassis, and mine is a Tikka 6CM (converted a 243). Both are sitting in stockys stocks and wearing Trijicon Credo HX 2.5-15x42. Yes I spoil my son. And that’s okay. It allows him and I to spend time together, and I won’t put a price tag on that.

Nice duo for you guys to spend time together. How do they shoot?

OP
passinggas33
Yet to be determined. I’m going to head out this weekend and finally shoot them. Life has been crazy busy with kids sports in the spring, and now that they are over I can breathe again and get to shooting. I’ll give. A report back early next week.

kswaterfowl

Lil-Rokslider

Nothing wrong with spoiling your son. I will do the same thing when my boys are old enough to go with me.

Well my indecisiveness has led me to make the following decision and purchase…

For my wife and kiddos…6.5 ARC in a howa mini and stockys vg2. For under $800, I had to do it.

For me…6CM Tikka in a stockys vg. For 1k, again I had to do it. It would have been irresponsible of me to not do it.

The stocks compliment each other very nicely (one black and one grey). Same optics (Trijicon Credo Hx 2.5-15x42). Wanted them close so my kiddos feel like we are on the same playing field and working together when we are out there. That may sound dumb, but I don’t want them to think that only dad gets the nice stuff.

Anyway, thanks for all of your input. Excited for how these come together!
Best resolution to a what should I get post haha

My new 6CM is nearly done. Ordered a Havak Element but received a Havak PH2. The seller company made it right and gave me a screaming deal on the PH2 for the mistake and to minimize hassle of exchange. I have cut the barrel down to 22.25" (right above end of flutes) and topped it with a Mark 5HD 3.6 x 18 and Scythe - Ti.

Goal is to shot 108 and 109 ELDMs at 2975+. Should be plenty of juice for our high elevations here in Utah.

OP
passinggas33
Got out last night and was able to shoot a box last night. This is what I learned…

The 6ARC shot very nice. Shooting right at 2550 for an average and right around 1 moa. The “Howa barrel break in process” is quite tedious. And I may or may not have followed it exactly 😬. I’m hoping as the barrel gets shot a little more it might tighten up just a bit. But overall very pleased with it. What I did learn though is that velocity will likely limit it to right about 500 yards to maintain the 1800fps velocity.

The 6CM has a small problem. It’s going to have to get it reamed a little more by the gunsmith. The chamber is so tight I could barely get the bolt closed. So even though I was able to shoot it and start getting some information, I want to have it reamed and then get down to truly figuring it out. But even with this small issue, I was right around 2850 on velocity but had wildly big ES and and speeds. But I’m guessing this gun will be limited to about 700 yards.

z987k

WKR
The 6ARC makes a lot of sense over the 6CM in a gas gun.

But in a bolt, it makes a lot more sense to get the creed. So much more brass and even factory ammo available. If you can get by just fine with 6arc velocities, just load it down a tad. It looks like 6cm with a single base temp stable powder is within 50fps of 6arc with a unstable double base with the same bullet. (4350 vs lever revolution) 1ft-lb more recoil since you need to use a bit more of it with the larger case volume.
If something like the howa mini saves you a few ounces on a mountain gun, maybe that sways back to 6 arc.

Got out last night and was able to shoot a box last night. This is what I learned…

The 6ARC shot very nice. Shooting right at 2550 for an average and right around 1 moa. The “Howa barrel break in process” is quite tedious. And I may or may not have followed it exactly . I’m hoping as the barrel gets shot a little more it might tighten up just a bit. But overall very pleased with it. What I did learn though is that velocity will likely limit it to right about 500 yards to maintain the 1800fps velocity.

The 6CM has a small problem. It’s going to have to get it reamed a little more by the gunsmith. The chamber is so tight I could barely get the bolt closed. So even though I was able to shoot it and start getting some information, I want to have it reamed and then get down to truly figuring it out. But even with this small issue, I was right around 2850 on velocity but had wildly big ES and and speeds. But I’m guessing this gun will be limited to about 700 yards.

I believe that’s a 20” on the Howa, how long on the 6cm?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 6ARC makes a lot of sense over the 6CM in a gas gun.

But in a bolt, it makes a lot more sense to get the creed. So much more brass and even factory ammo available. If you can get by just fine with 6arc velocities, just load it down a tad. It looks like 6cm with a single base temp stable powder is within 50fps of 6arc with a unstable double base with the same bullet. (4350 vs lever revolution) 1ft-lb more recoil since you need to use a bit more of it with the larger case volume.
If something like the howa mini saves you a few ounces on a mountain gun, maybe that sways back to 6 arc.

Just to clarify, hornady’s apples to apples max load data shows a 6 creed with h4350 and a 108 eld outrunning a 6 arc with lever and a 108 by 200 fps. Maybe you’re saying you could load the creed 150 fps slower though?