Bad Unsolicited Advice

go_deep

WKR
Twice this last weekend I got bad unsolicited advice, in both cases what I was told was illegal. Both times I corrected the people that were telling me said illegal things, but they seemed surprised that they were wrong.

My daughter hasn't hunted in 2 years and this summer she asked if I'd take her up blue grouse hunting, absolutely I told her. First bout of bad advise we park and are getting a few things together and a guy that had a camp at the TH comes over assuming we're archery hunting to talk to us about where we're going for the night and I just told him I'm taking my daughter up to walk some of the rock edges with the brush to look for some grouse not far off the road. He says, those grouse are all over the road, just drive up and down the road and shoot them off the road. I said, well it's a public road and you legally would have to push them back past the ROW, them you could shoot them. He was surprised that you couldn't shot them right off the county road.

Second piece of bad advise the next day we're walking some forest roads and a guy comes by in a bike with archery gear on his back, we talk a little, the he asks what we're hunting for. I tell him blue grouse, he then tells me about a road down the mountain a ways where they're grouse all over the road and to go down there and shoot some. I explained to him that I knew that road very well, and those are sage grouse, and season isn't open for them. He seemed very surprised that there was more than one kind of grouse and didn't understand why they'd have different seasons for them.

If you genuinely don't know, don't point someone in the wrong direction.

Good luck and be safe this season!

OP
go_deep

go_deep

WKR
Were they midwesterners by chance? I have shot 1 sage grouse in my life. Never again.

1 was, 1 was not. I think shooting off the road is legal in some states for certain game, but not totally sure. Even if it is a person can't assume the law in one state is the same in another.

1 was, 1 was not. I think shooting off the road is legal in some states for certain game, but not totally sure. Even if it is a person can't assume the law in one state is the same in another.
You can road hunt pheasants, quail, and Hungarian partridge in Iowa. However, there are rules to follow, for example, you have to get out of the vehicle, can't shoot over the road, etc...

Mt Al

WKR
I'm glad it's not just me I suppose. Asked one guy, "Do I have a sign on my forehead that says 'Please Tell Me Your Opinion on what I Should be Doing'"?

I think some people are genuinely tying to help, others want to be The Expert. Very annoying.

BBob

WKR
I was once informed that I couldn't hunt turkeys in a national forest. I politely informed that person I had a different opinion as to the matter and that I had a tag and a license and was going to go hunt. I told him if he felt as strong as he did about it to go call the sheriff and the game and fish dept and they could talk to me when I got back to the trailhead. Surprise surprise no one was waiting for me when I got back. I did get the guys license plate before I left to hunt ;)

That is definitely annoying. What's more obnoxious to me isn't so much the specific (bad) unsolicited advice that might be offered to me but rather the assumption that I don't know what it is they are about to tell me. When people just start talking to me about things that I know I am more experienced and knowledgeable in without asking me any questions first I want to punch them in the mouth.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I was out a few years back and a guy drove up on his snow machine, he said he was out looking for ptarmigan. He then offered up that he had a silencer, and that it was one of those Facebook solvent trap things. He then told me all he had to do was drill it out and it worked.

He told me all that without even knowing me or even my name, I could have been some sort of law enforcement guy (I’m not). He then proceeded to tell me how buying silencers is a rip off and the solvent traps are the way to go.

I’ve since seen him at the range telling more people about his silencer and showing it off like it’s nothing.

Last edited:
I was out a few years back and a guy drove up on his snow machine, he said he was out looking for ptarmigan. He then offered up that he had a silencer, and that it was one of those Facebook solvent trap things. He then told me all he had to do was drill it out and it worked.

He told me all that without even knowing me or even my name, I could have been some sort of law enforcement guy (I’m not). He then proceeded to tell me how buying silencers is a rip off and the solvent traps are the way to go.

I’ve since seen him at the tenge telling more people about his silencer and showing it off like it’s nothing.
Yeah he's a felon and doesn't even know it. You have to have your form 1 filed and returned, your serial number with your name and information engraved into the suppressor before you can even drill it out. I did a solvent trap rimfire can several years ago. I bought suppressors from manufacturers for larger rifles but for messing around with a 22 the other cans can work decent.

Was hunting OTC archery elk in SW Colorado probably 6-7 years ago with @LongWayAround and we ran into this group of muzzleloader hunters from Wisconsin. They chastised us for not wearing orange as that "was a requirement for archery hunters during the muzzleloader season". We politely said we'd take our chances and went about our hunt.