Two Lucky young hunters. 24 shots to stop a grizzly attack!

LaHunter

WKR
Article states that the guy that actually got mauled got two hits with his 10 mm , one to the bear's face and one in the shoulder. The shot to the face did not seem to deter the bear. This was discussed in another thread about 'bear defense', with the 'theory' being that if a bear gets shot in the face with most any pistol or rifle, it would be deterred, if I recall the thread correctly. Just something to think about when in grizz country.

Marbles

WK Donkey
Classified Approved
Article states that the guy that actually got mauled got two hits with his 10 mm , one to the bear's face and one in the shoulder. The shot to the face did not seem to deter the bear. This was discussed in another thread about 'bear defense', with the 'theory' being that if a bear gets shot in the face with most any pistol or rifle, it would be deterred, if I recall the thread correctly. Just something to think about when in grizz country.
You recall it correctly.

What choice did they have? They stayed remarkedly composed and did what was necessary to save their lives.
Oh I'm not saying otherwise, they did exactly what they had to with the tools they had, and showed a ton of composure and bravery. Way more than I'd probably have.
It's not mutually exclusive though - I don't think it's controversial to say that is a dangerous situation.

DSchliep

FNG
I'd have been screwed if the 1st 6 didn't work, I carry a S&W 629 with hard cast. Hard to jam a speed loader in with a griz on top of you.

IDVortex

WKR
What choice did they have? They stayed remarkedly composed and did what was necessary to save their lives.
Id rather have my hunting partner shoot at the bear while it's on me. At least if I get hit I might die sooner than be ripped apart by a bear. If I do survive, I still have a bad ass story to tell my grandkids.

OMF

Lil-Rokslider
This was the 1st year I took a side arm while archery hunting. I don't hunt in griz country; it was more for 2 legged predators based on some previous camp/trail encounters. But ya never know when ya might encounter one of those Wyoming grizzs that identify as a liberal dirty hippie and come down this way.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
24 rounds?

So the guy with the 1911 that “jammed 5 rounds in”, went through nearly 3 full magazines and reloaded at least twice?

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
This sounds like one of those stories that’s exaggerated and then told 3rd/4th hand and every time the story gets more dramatic.

24 shots to kill a bear is just absurd, no way they made more than 2 or maybe 3 good hits. Was the guy with the 1911 reloading while his buddy was being chewed on?

Practice with your sidearm and use bullets that kill. Do not aim for face. Aim for neck area on charging bear and ensure hits. I count off rounds out loud as I fire to know how many bullets I have left, something that helps me. You never know when another bear or adolescent cubs are next to come in.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Aiming for neck or “chin” on charging position gives you best chance for head/neck/chest hits as you WILL miss some shots under panic/adrenalin.

Ohlee58

FNG
Lucky guys!!
Just over 20 years ago I archery elk hunted this very area, West of Henry lake. We had a grizzly encounter, but it ended with us backing away, eye opening to say the least.

I hunted there last year and found some massive claw marks on a few trees. Quickly got our asses out of there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rdan2

FNG
Call me what you want, I don't choose to mess around in Grizz country too much..