Scope for hunting and shooting 50 to 500 yards Trijicon in Mil VS Nightforce SHV in MOA

Dropit

FNG
Hello, I'm new to scopes and need some of your insight and perspectives. I have a tikka 30-06 that I want to take hunting and shooting from 50 yards up to 500 yards.

I need something durable and will hold zero if dropped so I narrowed my list down to-

Nightforce SHV 3-10x40 Trijicon 3-9x40 or 2.5-12.5x42 of these scope, which reticle and why?

Here is where I’m really confused- I read most people like Mil reticle of the Trijicon but the SHV dials better but does not come in Mil from what I see.

I would like to learn how to dial but realistically would you dial for a shot at 500 yards in a 30-06 Tikka? What would that shot in specific sighted in at 100 or 200 yards and you want to place a shot at 500 yards how many clicks would it take ¼” MOA vs .1 Mils OR where would I hold on a MOAR reticle vs Trijicon Mil reticle?

With a MOA turret are you actually counting in ¼ inches or do you have a more simplified and quicker version?

Please explain it to me like I'm a 5 year old if that is possible.

Thanks everyone I really appreciate any guidance.

ORJoe

Lil-Rokslider
With a MOA turret are you actually counting in ¼ inches or do you have a more simplified and quicker version?
No, there are numbers on the turret marking each MOA, and three hash marks in between each marking the 1/4 moa.
It's like a tape measure. If you want 8-3/4 inches, you don't count out 35 quarters of an inch, you go to 8 and then another three quarters.

Reactions: BLJ

Macintosh

WKR
At 500 yards, depending on what exact load you are shooting, a 30-06 will hit about 3 feet lower than your point of aim. So yes, for certain most people are dialing. None of the scopes you mentioned are made for dialing though.

500 yards, depending on the exact load, will be about a 3-mil solution, so for a reticle hold you just hold on the 3rd dot with a mil-dot. In an moa scope it’ll be around 8moa, so you’d hold on whatever hash mark equates to that. For me, mils are WAAAAY easier for this if you dont have to unlearn years of dialing or holding an moa scope.

Read this:
Thread 'How to use a mil/mil scope-reticle, turrets and proper usage'
https://rokslide.com/forums/threads...cope-reticle-turrets-and-proper-usage.315942/

Last edited:

FLS

WKR
Mils are divisible by ten and the math is easier to do in your head.
Look at the drop tests and the see what’s actually available. A few of the fan favorites are unobtanium.