Legality of shooting TOWARD a road?

wapitibob

WKR
Partners Antelope was standing maybe 10' on our side of the road when he shot it. I'd have shot Buck even if it was in the road, with a warden watching. In this instance there wasn't another person within 5 miles.

Last edited:

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
The definition of a "road" when it comes to hunting varies greatly by state; ditto on what's considered right away, ditto on how far off the "road" you need to be.

What's legal and what's safe could very possibly be two different things.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Okay here is an illegal scenario that grinds my gears. Got a road with some steep canyon on both sides, sometimes I hike up 150-200 vertical feet to glass the other side, which at some points is 300-400 yards away across a road. Never shot across it, but it seems silly as there is 0 risk to traffic below

Yoder

WKR
Ricochets lose a ton of energy. I know, I've been hit by one at a steel plate match. It was only a 9mm, but it was at 10 yards. It barely drew blood. It would have to reduce the range by quite a bit.

Squincher

WKR
You would have to check your state statutes regarding legality. In my state it is not illegal to shoot toward a roadway, but if you have a ricochet or pass through, or just miss, and the bullet goes across the road, you are in violation regardless of your intentions.

sndmn11

WKR
Without weeding through the CRS, I'm 99% certain Colorado doesn't care if someone shoots towards a roadway. The only cares are distance from and "over".

If I remember I'll check this week.

Matt5266

WKR
In idaho it is not illegal to shoot toward a road however if there is people/vehicles near by you could be cited for unsafe shooting.

For what it's worth if the other side of the road is private and your bullet crosses and lands on their property fish and game CAN and sometimes will cite you for trespassing lol. Yes a bullet can trespass apparently.

Wrench

WKR
Washington used to (haven't checked recently) be 400' from any maintained portion of roadway. Maintained is an interesting one as one warden I spoke with felt that if it was constructed, that's maintenance....I questioned that as to me, repairs or plowing, clearing would be maintenance as opposed to construction.

The forest circus has some of their own codes as well.

Fordguy

WKR
In idaho it is not illegal to shoot toward a road however if there is people/vehicles near by you could be cited for unsafe shooting.

For what it's worth if the other side of the road is private and your bullet crosses and lands on their property fish and game CAN and sometimes will cite you for trespassing lol. Yes a bullet can trespass apparently.
I asked the Michigan DNR about that exact scenario years ago when a neighbor said that any shotgun pellets that might fall on his property (open fields not structures or vehicles) constituted trespass. The officer's only response was laughter.
It was strictly out of curiosity, since I didn't shoot skyward, (no waterfowl at the time) so it wasn't an issue anyway.

Matt5266

WKR
I asked the Michigan DNR about that exact scenario years ago when a neighbor said that any shotgun pellets that might fall on his property (open fields not structures or vehicles) constituted trespass. The officer's only response was laughter.
It was strictly out of curiosity, since I didn't shoot skyward, (no waterfowl at the time) so it wasn't an issue anyway.
Ya, I got this info directly from our fish and game.. I'm sure this varies from place to place and probably officer to officer. Just cuz they can doesnt mean they will. Seems like a stretch in court to prove but I'm sure it has been done with success or they wouldnt be doing it.

Of it depends on the state but I believe in Wisconsin the following applies.

I thought there were rules on shooting from a gravel road for grouse in northern Wisconsin but couldn’t find anything. I don’t do hunt them so it’s likely changed over the years. I have shorten towards a road here but can could clearly see no traffic on a back country road and had a backstop, ie a hill/ or long distance.

Attachments

• IMG_3397.jpeg
    IMG_3397.jpeg
    834.7 KB · Views: 7
OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
Lots of posts about proximity From the road. My question is a little different. I’m specifically talking about being X 100s of yards FROM the road but shooting TOWARD the road.

Koda_

Lil-Rokslider
Lots of posts about proximity From the road. My question is a little different. I’m specifically talking about being X 100s of yards FROM the road but shooting TOWARD the road.
I answered this once. If your bullets trajectory can cross the road then it would be illegal.

wapitibob

WKR

Don't shoot across the road and you're fine in WY.

W.S. 23-6-202(a)(v).
(c) No person shall fire any firearm from, upon, along, or across any public road or highway.
(d) No person knowingly shall fire any rifle from the enclosed lands of one person onto or across the enclosed lands of another without the permission of both persons.