backcountry power

BooneAK

FNG
Hey, all. If you ever want to feel weak, read about the exploits of someone like Captain Cook, one of the greats in global exploration, heading out into the open ocean without maps, without GPS nav and In-Reach for emergency, carrying your drinking water in wood barrels and hoping you've taken enough. It's bittersweet that things aren't as tough as that anymore, but they're not, and I've pretty well accepted that we're keeping our devices with us in the field, onX on our phones perhaps being the new indispensable, plus keeping the In-Reach ready. And I'll add this: at least sometimes taking a laptop to the field -- not for surfing, but just to do some journaling or other writing. Hemingway and Ruark both took typewriters on safari. I'm thinking 20 days out offgrid. That's long time off for most of us, but it should cover most hunting trips, at least for me. One last thing: this is for backcountry fly-in, boat-in, ATV-in, where weight is less of a concern.

So, given those parameters, what are you all using for power in the backcountry? I'm thinking something like a GoalZero Yeti 300 with a 50 w solar array, enough base power to begin the trip, enough charging capacity when the sun is shining, enough battery bank to hold charges over a week or more of rain or clouds. Anyone?

Ravpower 20k Mah battery pack, cost me $20 bucks, I’ve had it about 6-8 years, I charge it before every trip, I’ve never had it run out of juice in the field

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use the Ravpower or Anker 20k. I prefer the ravpower, seems like it charges devices faster, and is usually cheaper. I got the current 20k for 30 bucks. I have a few of each, I havent charged 1 of the older ravpower 20ks (model shows the % of battery left) in at least a year and it still shows 100%.

I live in an area that has a lot of weather related power outages, so these are pretty useful. As far as those power stations, I had a GZ Yeti that crapped out after about 15 months and I now have a Jackery 880 1000w I got from them refurbished that Ive used for 2 years now without issue during power outages and extended trips. Looked brand new, and functions perfectly. The jackery feels like more well made product over the Yeti. The refurb 880 1000w is usually 350 on their website after coupons - Home Depot sells the same model for 700-800. If you want something smaller like the yeti 300, Jackery has a refurb Explorer 290 for $165 after the 40% coupon.