Hydro or solar power generator?

Howdy RokSliders,

I am thinking about possibly trying a hydro power source for my backcountry camp, and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with the WaterLily, or something similar. I was originally thinking about going the solar route, but it seems like it would be cool to be able to generate power 24 hours a day rather than just during the sunny times. I only need enough power for a couple phones running OnX for about ten days. Any thoughts in either direction would be appreciated. TIA!!

Here is the WaterLily turbine

OP
N
If you just need a couple phones to stay powered, have you considered just a battery pack?
I appreciate the suggestion, but my luck with small battery packs is zero. I've tried about five of them, and they've all been crap. Temp fluctuations in the high country, slow charging, no charging. Amazon reviews haven't helped any either. I'm open to suggestions though! Thanks

bsnedeker

WKR
I appreciate the suggestion, but my luck with small battery packs is zero. I've tried about five of them, and they've all been crap. Temp fluctuations in the high country, slow charging, no charging. Amazon reviews haven't helped any either. I'm open to suggestions though! Thanks
So get a big battery pack or two. I do not like this idea at all. Overly complicated, limits where you can camp, and battery packs are proven to work for what you are trying to do.

Anker 20000mah and a goal zero 3 panel charger. . . If you're worried throw in a cheap battery pack as a backup.

The Anker will get you through 6-8 charges of an iphone type phone in cool to coldish conditions (my experience). But it's easy to just plug the goal zero into it every day while you hunt and let it top off. Put your phone in airplane mode and you should get 3 days ish out of it.

That's what I do anyway YMMV

Titan_Bow

WKR
a battery pack is the way to go. I have tried a goal zero solar panel for a couple seasons and it always ended up leaving me without power or wanting more. If you got back to camp and forgot to set your panel out, or if it was cloudy, or you were in dark timber, etc. Also, if trying to to direct charge, you'd set it up, then realize it took literally all day in direct bright sunlight to charge an iphone. It was just a pain in the ass.
I went to an Anker Powercore. I have a 20100 and a 26800. These things are fairly bulky, but probably about the same weight as a goal zero nomad pad and small battery. They will charge an iphone from dead to full charge 5 or 6 times at least. Ive kept my phone running no problems on a couple 10 to 14 day hunts. I have never had an issue with the Anker, they just plain work, and it definitely simplifies things. I would NOT want to rely on a water powered generator for backcountry power.....

OP
N
a battery pack is the way to go. I have tried a goal zero solar panel for a couple seasons and it always ended up leaving me without power or wanting more. If you got back to camp and forgot to set your panel out, or if it was cloudy, or you were in dark timber, etc. Also, if trying to to direct charge, you'd set it up, then realize it took literally all day in direct bright sunlight to charge an iphone. It was just a pain in the ass.
I went to an Anker Powercore. I have a 20100 and a 26800. These things are fairly bulky, but probably about the same weight as a goal zero nomad pad and small battery. They will charge an iphone from dead to full charge 5 or 6 times at least. Ive kept my phone running no problems on a couple 10 to 14 day hunts. I have never had an issue with the Anker, they just plain work, and it definitely simplifies things. I would NOT want to rely on a water powered generator for backcountry power.....
With horses in the equation now, it seems like I'll be trying a battery. Guess I was kind of drawn to the novelty of the turbine, as our hunting camp has awesome flowing water. I'll check out the Ankers. Thanks.

With horses in the equation now, it seems like I'll be trying a battery. Guess I was kind of drawn to the novelty of the turbine, as our hunting camp has awesome flowing water. I'll check out the Ankers. Thanks.
Have three Ankers, one going on six years that’s been in every condition and elevation you’re likely to encounter, never had any issue. I have had issues with cords, might want to pack a spare.

Marble

WKR
I've struggled with the battery pack one time. It was too cold to charge. So the solution is to charge it in my sleeping bag and keep it wrapped up in something warm if it's super cold out.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I have two 11,000 mAh Power Battery Backups by IOGEAR that have never let me down. Hold a charge forever, I get four complete recharges on my Apple cell phone, out of each unit. I have had both mine for at least 6-7 years. My model is no longer made but I found this one on Amazon.

Rich M

WKR
I'm in FL and been playing around with cheap solar some and keeping a 12 volt trolling motor battery charged up. Considering running a line from my big motor to the trolling battery cause the solar stuff has been weak. Maybe if I stepped up my game and actually paid better money for the solar chargers? My attic fan is solar and runs well.

Guess where I'm going, is these small gadgets are fun, you have to prove them before trusting them offgrid.

Good luck! Gadgets are fun.

bobr1

WKR
Yeah seriously save yourself the headache and just get an Anker battery pack. I’ve had mine for several years in all kinds of conditions and hunting. The only time I had issues it was not with the charger but my phone was to cold to accept a charge. It was like -15 and -30 wind chill at night helping pack out an elk. Now if it gets crazy cold like that
I’ll just throw in a hand warmer in my pocket with my phone and put one on my battery pack while I’m out.

We’ve used an adapter that hooks up to a Milwaukee 18v battery. Works great!
Im thinking a 5ah 18v should cover charging for a week for a cell phone, inreach mini 2, maybe a headlamp, gps, ect. Sound about right or could I get away with a 2ah 12v? I have the converters for either to USB charger.

anker and don't look back. Can run my phone off a 26000mAH for over a week and all winter in temps down to -30f on my thermal scope & scanners

For just hunting trips, to keep it as light as possible, a battery pack would be the way to go. If on a expedition trip then an alternate power source would come into play.

Several years ago I saw a packable system that had different attachments for wind or hydro. Can't remember what it was called though.

Yeah there's no way that WaterLilly gizmo's gonna do you any good, neat idea to take your money. If you're having bad luck with blocks I'm thinking your charging port is clogged up, clean it out with a paper clip. I have to do that once a year or so, phone will show a charge light but barely keep up with use and get maybe 1% charge per hour, clean it out and it's back up and running well.

Here's a copy/paste from a post I replied to earlier today:

This is the combo I use. My phone pretty much uses 100% for a day hunting as I'm typically on it a lot with OnX or whatever, probably could use a new phone but whatever. My headlamp is also rechargeable and that takes a good bit of power.
The Anker 20k block charges my headlamp and phone at night, whatever else (watch this year). Then I use the little panel to charge the Anker block during the day while I'm out hunting.

Block: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00X5RV14Y/
Panel: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012YUJJM8/

Logestagg

FNG
Keeping the battery wrapped in clothing or placed in the middle of a full pack helps insulate. If it's really cold try to keep it close enough to get some body heat in your pack or pocket.