Backcountry hunt pack weight

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I got really into being a weight weenie in the early 2000's after carrying aluminum framed heavy packs for a long time. Heavy sleeping bag and pad rolled up and tied onto the bulky frame with string, I'm sure some of you old school backpackers and hunters know exactly what I'm talking about...

I switched to an osprey in about 2002 and it was and it was a game changer. Fast forward to today and I am horrible about managing weight in my pack. All my gear is nice and lightweight for the most part, but I pack at the trailhead most of the time; taking gear out of totes and stuffing into my pack. I need to get back to being smarter with my packing and taking into account the actual weight I'm carrying back there.

Now that I hunt and backpack/camp a lot in the AZ desert, the water situation is a completely different story than the high sierras I grew up in; where there is a stream/river/lake every mile or so. I've began doing scouting trips where I stash water in glassing knobs as water is an absolute weight killer in the pack.

I need to consolidate and really take a look at my gear, and get some true carry in weights as my packs lately have felt heavy (thought I was just getting older and weaker but this thread has inspired me).

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is what I plan to take on a 10 day sheep hunt in Alaska. This is my first backpacking hunt so I am not sure if I am packing to my or not enough. My outfitter said it as good to go.

Any recommendation or suggestions will be welcomed.

Personally I don't think I'd bring two pairs of pants; looks like the rest of your clothing list is squared away

Looks like you've got almost 3.5 lbs of rechargers, guessing because of the cpap?

I'd consider adding a pillow, bug dope & a headnet. You're going to want something to sit on glassing- a chunk of Z pad would do

Rain gloves or mitts if they aren't included in your list (cold wet hands are a definite no beueno)

Do you have inReach or sat phone?

Headlamp?

ssgjpd

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Personally I don't think I'd bring two pairs of pants; looks like the rest of your clothing list is squared away

Looks like you've got almost 3.5 lbs of rechargers, guessing because of the cpap?

I'd consider adding a pillow, bug dope & a headnet. You're going to want something to sit on glassing- a chunk of Z pad would do

Rain gloves or mitts if they aren't included in your list (cold wet hands are a definite no beueno)

Do you have inReach or sat phone?

Headlamp?
Yes that is for the CPAP machine.

I have a pillow need to add that. Order headnet now, thats for the reminder. Forgot I have the KUIU glassign pad, will add that to the lighterpack.

Only mitts I have is Kenai packable gloves and the strongfleece. Which ones do you recommend?

No inreach or sat. phone, but will get one. Was thinking on the zoleo or inreach mini 2.

I have two black diamond headlamps that I need to add to the list.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’d look for gloves or mittens that are Goretex (or similar).

I’m using the Sitka Blizzard mittens, but only bringing the waterproof shells- I can put fleece or other gloves inside of these.

Basically something fully waterproof- same as your rain jacket/pants.

I have the Mini 1, the new 2 has improved battery life over the 1. No experience with the Zoleo, but reviews look good.

Decent, darned, pillow. I expend a solid bit of weight (i mean its a pillow, can only weigh so much) but even more so, volume.

Man i hate all those tiny hardcore pillows for backpacking. Especially the ones you inflate, oof, awful, rather sleep on my boot (and have).

That's my big luxury item and i find it worth its weight in gold.

edit: that's in response to your 2nd posted question, i think the answer to the first questions would be train for 50-60 lbs, lucky you if you get it under that.
For a pillow, I take my tent bag and stuff is with my rain gear and extra layers. Best pillow ever.

Planning on a 5-7 day trip this fall for archery elk. This will be my first back country hunt. As of right now we are planning to pack in and stay majority of the hunt. With that being said, what is a reasonable expected pack weight for something like this? Trying to start training now in hopes of being as ready as I can be physically. I have a Kuiu frame and will have the 6000 pro bag on it.
Probably somewhere between 60-70 lbs. Water and food will be the majority of your weight. Unless you plan on lugging in water and staging it ahead of time or have another means of getting fresh water.

Backcountry_Preacher

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
“If you’re staying out even one night in the woods, deer (elk) camp is as important as your clothing…. If your camp isn’t comfortable enough to recoup physically and mentally, by about day two you’ll be thinking about mamma and your warm bed at home. Before you know it, you’ll have dreamed up all kinds of excuses to leave.” @robby denning Hunting Big Mule Deer

Boy if this ain’t the truth. I feel many guys focus on getting their pack weights down so much that they loose sight of what’s important, a quality camp. I’m not saying being lighter isn’t better, but at what cost. I’d much rather take a little weight penalty and bring things( good pillow, little chair, reading material, etc) that will help me stay in the woods longer. I feel biggest factor in punching any tag is time. The longer you’re out there the better your chances are. Im in the school of thought that you should bring as many luxury items you can squeeze into your pack haha. Too heavy? Hit the weight room son!

7sdad

FNG
8834f79c5f793cb1886e2568ec1b9771.jpg

With water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Highhuntin

Lil-Rokslider
Mine is usually 50-60 lbs. one thing I do (area dependent) is pack very little water fill up on the way for what I need to drink and at the last water source I fill up a couple gallons for the last mile, it sucks on tired legs but saves me a return trip right away

TheHammer

WKR
7days with bow last year I was at 57lbs w/food&water. But that was early season and my sleep system was 1lb lighter than it is now, less clothes last year due to time of year, my pack last year was smaller and a few ounces lighter, my arrows were 14gr lighter. I didn’t pack a tripod or spotter like I do this year. But I am only planning on 4days max in each spot… learn as you go and it varies from hunt to hunt… this weekend I’m sorting and weighing everything. I’m anticipating 44lbs for 4 days. I say good luck to everyone this fall! Can’t wait to read everyone’s pictures and look at their stories.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
My recent Dall hunt I was at just under 40 lbs base weight (includes my optics- spotter & binos and rifle & ammo). With water and 10 days of food- 55 lbs.

https://lighterpack.com/r/t5541l

With boned meat and the head, I think it was probably close to 90 lbs- that wasn't overly fun :D

mtn_man

FNG
My 5-7 day hunting pack is usually right under 50lbs. Luxury item is my 1.3lb tent insert for my Hyperlite tent. Sea to Summit stuff sack with my puffy coat or other layers makes a great pillow.

chasewild

WKR
For my 10 day archery dall hunt, my pack weight was around 56 with a liter of water. If we were sleeping high, I added 4 liters of water (5 total) and that put me at 66ish.

Just weighed my pack fully loaded. Loaded for 3 nights then back to basecamp for a reset.

36 LBs. No food, water, or bow. Not bad for the initial first crack at backpacking.

You’re saying with a 5 lb-ish pack, you’re at 23lbs on a 7 day hunt including water….

Like. How?

That’s what I’m thinking dude, like the food alone for a 7 day backpack trip should be anywhere from 7 to 12ish pounds. There has to be something I’m missing here, or I’m just a fatty and pack a lot of food

That’s what I’m thinking dude, like the food alone for a 7 day backpack trip should be anywhere from 7 to 12ish pounds. There has to be something I’m missing here, or I’m just a fatty and pack a lot of food

Nope, same. Should be like 12-14 lbs of food alone