WKR
What is IFAC?
Sure, not one formula for everyone.

What is IFAC?

I don't pack rain pants in CO.
1 pair of socks and briefs.
Tabs for water.
My bag/pad/tent weighs 6 lbs.

Shit, we could get into the ounces, but I think you and I could both be comfortable in the low 40's pretty easy.
should have said iFAK = Individual first aid kit…I should double check the weight on my sleeping system, just got a copper spur 2 man tent, 0 degree bag (for October) and neoair xtherm pad, 10 lbs may be a bit heavy for that but may be lighter in other areas, which make up for it. I also carry dude wipes, which is a luxury item but necessary

Last edited:

LFC911

WKR
I use a 60# bag of Quikrete in my pack for my workouts. With that, water, couple of side items I’m pushing 68# which is adequate prep for a week long pack in trip. Also great for breaking in your pack and testing it’s quality.

So far no DEA agent has questioned me but wouldn’t be surprised with my set up. 🤣

View attachment 561423
I use 40 lbs of smoking pellets in my pack

Jqualls

Lil-Rokslider
Baby Wipes are my heavy luxury item but worth it. Lose the pillow and just sleep on your puffy jacket/pants. I'll have one Nalgene on the hike in and top off from streams along the way with my filter so I'm not packing tons of water. Once at basecamp fill your water bottles/bladders etc...
You may already do this but I let the wipes dry out and just add water to them when needed to help save a little weight.

jboy047

FNG
Check out MTNTough Workouts too if you need ideas for workouts. Being in shape definitely affects pack size and how far you'll be going in the backcountry.

CMS829

Lil-Rokslider
Seems most are around 50 with water and weapon. That’s pretty close to me. I bring a few Gucci items as well. Crazy creek chair for one. Kicking back is priceless bliss for my lower back and weighs very little. Ymmv.

Might leave the camp shoes behind this year. Big weight hog is the 1911. But I like having it, so….yeah.
good excuse to buy another (lighter) pistol.

HUNTNUT

FNG
I have always said you can always tell experienced backpackers from rookies. Rookies are always looking for something to put in their packs. The pros are always looking for something to take out. 40lbs for me on a 5-7 day backpack hunt, usually in September with water available nearby.

I try to strike the balance between packing my fears and being prepared. The balance point will vary by person but really only gets refined by field experience. Everyone is at a different point on the journey.

LuvsFixedBlades

Lil-Rokslider
I try to strike the balance between packing my fears and being prepared. The balance point will vary by person but really only gets refined by field experience. Everyone is at a different point on the journey.
What he said ^^^

My personal experience includes backpacking, mountaineering and hunting the Rockies for the last 30 years. I'm native to Colorado and live in the mountains. The longest I've backpacked straight without coming out is 61 days (with food resupply drops). I have used darn near every kind and weight of backpacking product, crappy to ultra-premium.

The only guardrails I would add to the comment quoted above is this...if you are much under 45lbs (total gear) for a 7 day backpack hunt, you are likely not prepared enough. If you are much over 60lbs, you should consider the necessity of certain gear, or you can't afford lightweight gear, or it's late and cold, or you need big optics/camera gear/special equipment. Luxury items are at your discretion.

IMO, people quoting total gear weights of under 40lbs for 7 day mountain hunts are willfully increasing their risk factors. I won't go into the backcountry without a legit 1st aid kit, possibles kit, or rain gear, period.

What he said ^^^

My personal experience includes backpacking, mountaineering and hunting the Rockies for the last 30 years. I'm native to Colorado and live in the mountains. The longest I've backpacked straight without coming out is 61 days (with food resupply drops). I have used darn near every kind and weight of backpacking product, crappy to ultra-premium.

The only guardrails I would add to the comment quoted above is this...if you are much under 45lbs (total gear) for a 7 day backpack hunt, you are likely not prepared enough. If you are much over 60lbs, you should consider the necessity of certain gear, or you can't afford lightweight gear, or it's late and cold, or you need big optics/camera gear/special equipment. Luxury items are at your discretion.

IMO, people quoting total gear weights of under 40lbs for 7 day mountain hunts are willfully increasing their risk factors. I won't go into the backcountry without a legit 1st aid kit, possibles kit, or rain gear, period.

Can you detail your possibles kit? Just interested in improving my system.

I agree on good first aid, to include tourniquet that I've trained on and clotting agents. Also secondary water treatment method.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm curious if everyone is on the same page as far as what's in the pack- are you including optics in your pack and on your chest? are you including your rifle & ammo? are you including the water and all the food you're carrying? all the fuel? kill kit, etc?

When I post my weights I want to include everything, so it's apples to apples. I'll also state how many days as obviously the weight of the food/fuel is going to vary.

Skin out here as well, and this is also the reason I posted my lighterpack.com link. I try to not obscure what I'm claiming for weight.

There's definitely some good commentary above on the choices to assume risk based on what you leave behind. Your ability to get out to safety, predict weather, fitness, etc all factor in.

BBob

WKR
I'm curious if everyone is on the same page as far as what's in the pack- are you including optics in your pack and on your chest? are you including your rifle & ammo? are you including the water and all the food you're carrying? all the fuel? kill kit, etc?
I try but the species that's hunted at least for me can make weight vary wildly. Optics are the culprit for the most part. Most of my OTC CO Sept elk is binoculars only, no tripod. Mule deer the optics weight jumps and Coues deer? Coues has the heaviest pack weight by far with the big optics and tripods we often carry. Coues hunts tend to need far more carried water as none exists in many areas. Same for desert sheep hunts with optics and water.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ agree it can vary a lot based on the species, length of trip, time of year, etc

that’s why it’s useful if folks state when/how long/what they’re pursuing

it’s easy to say my pack weighs 40#, but without the above information and/or linking to lighterpack it’s not very meaningful

ssgjpd

Lil-Rokslider
This is what I plan to take on a 10 day sheep hunt in Alaska. This is my first backpacking hunt so I am not sure if I am packing to my or not enough. My outfitter said it as good to go.

Any recommendation or suggestions will be welcomed.