Backcountry hunt pack weight

Something else I read on here that makes sense is dropping lbs if you’re overweight. Seems like it’s easier to cut back on the microbrews and drop 10 lbs than it is to get 5 lbs of stuff out of my pack. I’m back to a healthy BMI already, hoping to be in great shape for the 12 WY preference points I have on the line this fall.

taskswap

WKR
Something else I read on here that makes sense is dropping lbs if you’re overweight. Seems like it’s easier to cut back on the microbrews and drop 10 lbs than it is to get 5 lbs of stuff out of my pack. I’m back to a healthy BMI already, hoping to be in great shape for the 12 WY preference points I have on the line this fall.
You know, it seems so obvious but I never really "got it" myself until I lost 10lbs before last hunting season. I came away from the trip needing half as many "dad breaks" as the year before, to catch my breath hiking up a long hill. Now this season I'm trying to lose another 10. It makes a huge difference.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Do you haul elk with that Divide?
Same question

I have; but recently purchased their Revolution panel and a different bag, so I can now haul the meat between the bag and frame instead of in and/or on the outside the bag. That's the way I hauled w/ my SG and found I prefer it that way.

The frame and suspension is plenty capable :)

Reactions: CMF
Should be in the 50-60lb mark depending on what you take. Food and water being your heaviest items, try to pack at least 2000 calories worth of food a day. If you know where water will be that will save you some weight as well. Worth while items I’d recommend is a helinox chair zero, only a pound but goes a long way to being able sit back and relax in an actual chair.
I’ve done it under 50 but was miserable. I take the REI camp chair and though it is low to the ground, it beats sitting on a rock, log or the ground to eat meals at camp. Especially after a long days grind. I tried the Sea to Summit Ether Light but it kept dilapidating and I’d have to air it back up in the middle of the night. It’s funny when I first started doing backcountry hunts, I was what others would call going in heavy +50 pounds and even above 60 if I attach my bow and sidearm to my pack. I’ve experimented with light weight or UL stuff and got down under 50 but I’ve since went back to the reliable gear that weighs a little more, but sleep better at night and generally feel pretty well rested for the duration of my hunts now. While learning this game I’ve been at times sleep deprived and food deprived. Not anymore. I’ve come to grips with the fact I’d rather carry a few more pounds in to eat well, sleep well and be comfortable. Much more enjoyable. That being said, there is still a lot of suck to embrace after all the comforts.

CMF

WKR
The silly thing about these weights is all the exceptions people like to make. Water has weight. So does food (exo guys omit it) weapon, etc.

Skin out is the only apples to apples way to have this discussion, and for that, I'm just a smidge under 70# for a 7 day archery trip.
I think the reason so many of us don't have skin-out weights is the bow, and clothes and bino harness aren't really things we're looking at weight savings as much for and never tracked them. Now looking at how big the differences can be, I can see the value in it. It's still weight we're hauling around.
You guys convinced me to try the lighterpack.com, It's been a while since I looked at my weights and I'm on the night shift with nothing else to do...
My base pack came in better than I thought. I went with 5 days and 1 liter of water to better compare to @mtwarden I'd like to get closer to his weights!
Base 30lbs. Skin out total 50lbs.
https://lighterpack.com/r/tc8zg5

The only thing I've added since starting to backpack is the geese feet down booties. My feet get cold before anything and they're 2oz so worth it.
Things I quit packing:
camp shoes
too much first aid (still have some)gause, bandaids, bloodclot.
Too much food
extra shirt
1 treking pole(depending on terrain, but usually have a bow in one hand and can cut a stick if I need a second for pack out)
Xtra water bottle for electrolyte, I just pour in my mouth
Xtra storage bags to organize
towel
rain pants(only bringing if certain weather)
Some things I've never carried that I see on other list:
Poop trowel, I just use trekking pole and boot
Chair, I considered hard at first, but don't regret not ever bringing one.
pack rain cover -I might reconsider if going to AK, but haven't regretted it yet.

I think the reason so many of us don't have skin-out weights is the bow, and clothes and bino harness aren't really things we're looking at weight savings as much for and never tracked them. Now looking at how big the differences can be, I can see the value in it. It's still weight we're hauling around.
You guys convinced me to try the lighterpack.com, It's been a while since I looked at my weights and I'm on the night shift with nothing else to do...
My base pack came in better than I thought. I went with 5 days and 1 liter of water to better compare to @mtwarden I'd like to get closer to his weights!
Base 30lbs. Skin out total 50lbs.
https://lighterpack.com/r/tc8zg5

The only thing I've added since starting to backpack is the geese feet down booties. My feet get cold before anything and they're 2oz so worth it.
Things I quit packing:
camp shoes
too much first aid (still have some)gause, bandaids, bloodclot.
Too much food
extra shirt
1 treking pole(depending on terrain, but usually have a bow in one hand and can cut a stick if I need a second for pack out)
Xtra water bottle for electrolyte, I just pour in my mouth
Xtra storage bags to organize
towel
rain pants(only bringing if certain weather)
Some things I've never carried that I see on other list:
Poop trowel, I just use trekking pole and boot
Chair, I considered hard at first, but don't regret not ever bringing one.
pack rain cover -I might reconsider if going to AK, but haven't regretted it yet.
Got a link for those 2 ounce booties?

I think 40 is pretty achievable with mid-range gear, that's about where I was last time I weighed, that was with food for four days, but no water, no weapon, no bino/rangefinder(on chest harness). I've got it down some by now.

Once you start going up a mountain, the crap you thought you needed suddenly seems less important and you could do without.

Food you'll have to figure out. I packed too much food my first time out, I can get by easily with 1.5lbs., some guys take 2 or more.
Yup to this. I packed 10 days of food for a 5 day hunt. Turns out I just eat different in the mountains. Nothing beats experience, I guess.

Dcronce

FNG
Planning on a 5-7 day trip this fall for archery elk. This will be my first back country hunt. As of right now we are planning to pack in and stay majority of the hunt. With that being said, what is a reasonable expected pack weight for something like this? Trying to start training now in hopes of being as ready as I can be physically. I have a Kuiu frame and will have the 6000 pro bag on it.
I use the app PackLight to log my gear. Then I can play around with different packing lists to see how my weight changes depending on different situations and gear choices. Then I train with about 10 lbs more than my expected pack in weight.

Seems most are around 50 with water and weapon. That’s pretty close to me. I bring a few Gucci items as well. Crazy creek chair for one. Kicking back is priceless bliss for my lower back and weighs very little. Ymmv.

Might leave the camp shoes behind this year. Big weight hog is the 1911. But I like having it, so….yeah.

PaBone

Lil-Rokslider
The one thing I carry with me is my REI Flexlite chair. I hate having the extra pound, but it feels so good to have a comfortable place to sit.

Planning on a 5-7 day trip this fall for archery elk. This will be my first back country hunt. As of right now we are planning to pack in and stay majority of the hunt. With that being said, what is a reasonable expected pack weight for something like this? Trying to start training now in hopes of being as ready as I can be physically. I have a Kuiu frame and will have the 6000 pro bag on it.
Get an initial gear list of what you think you'll need for your backcountry archery elk trip. Try the gear, clothing, footwear, and food during extended/overnight summer trips. You'll quickly find out what stuff works or not for your style of hunting. Most inexperienced hunters carry way too much "un-necessary" shit into the mountains. Focus on cardio conditioning with some complimentary moderate weight training. Try hiking with a loaded pack once or twice a week at home.

IMHO, archery elk hunting is 90% hard work/local knowledge and 10% timing/little luck. Keep your expectations low and just enjoy the ride. Oh, be ready to get your butt kicked .

"You can't cheat the mountain".

LFC911

WKR
I resemble that statement...dropped 10 lbs in May and plan to do the same for Jun, Jul and Aug to be ~220 by 9/1. I plan be down 40 lbs and have 50-60 lb pack for spike hunting.

chasewild

WKR
My pack weight for 7-day CO hunts is usually 40 ish.

I used to do it in 32 lbs. Pretty low on the calories.

If you're packing 5-60 pounds for elk....you have some redundancy going on.

LFC911

WKR
My pack weight for 7-day CO hunts is usually 40 ish.

I used to do it in 32 lbs. Pretty low on the calories.

If you're packing 5-60 pounds for elk....you have some redundancy going on.
Food 10 lbs (2lbs per day), water/filter/bags 10lbs, rifle/optic/ammo 10 lbs, binos/harness/pack 10lbs, tent/sleeping bag/pad 10 lbs, that is 40 lbs right there...then you add kill kit, ifac, stove/fuel, rain gear, extra socks/underwear, puffy...that is 50 lbs for me...no redundancy except the sock/underwear.

chasewild

WKR
Food 10 lbs (2lbs per day), water/filter/bags 10lbs, rifle/optic/ammo 10 lbs, binos/harness/pack 10lbs, tent/sleeping bag/pad 10 lbs, that is 40 lbs right there...then you add kill kit, ifac, stove/fuel, rain gear, extra socks/underwear, puffy...that is 50 lbs for me...no redundancy except the sock/underwear.
Sure, not one formula for everyone.

What is IFAC?

I don't pack rain pants in CO.
1 pair of socks and briefs.
Tabs for water.
My bag/pad/tent weighs 6 lbs.

Shit, we could get into the ounces, but I think you and I could both be comfortable in the low 40's pretty easy.

luv2huntelk

Lil-Rokslider
I use a 60# bag of Quikrete in my pack for my workouts. With that, water, couple of side items I’m pushing 68# which is adequate prep for a week long pack in trip. Also great for breaking in your pack and testing it’s quality.

So far no DEA agent has questioned me but wouldn’t be surprised with my set up. 🤣

IMG_9860.jpeg