Backcountry hunt pack weight

Planning on a 5-7 day trip this fall for archery elk. This will be my first back country hunt. As of right now we are planning to pack in and stay majority of the hunt. With that being said, what is a reasonable expected pack weight for something like this? Trying to start training now in hopes of being as ready as I can be physically. I have a Kuiu frame and will have the 6000 pro bag on it.

OP
C
What are some things that you would say are must haves in your pack? Worth the weight items

Gerbdog

WKR
Decent, darned, pillow. I expend a solid bit of weight (i mean its a pillow, can only weigh so much) but even more so, volume.

Man i hate all those tiny hardcore pillows for backpacking. Especially the ones you inflate, oof, awful, rather sleep on my boot (and have).

That's my big luxury item and i find it worth its weight in gold.

edit: that's in response to your 2nd posted question, i think the answer to the first questions would be train for 50-60 lbs, lucky you if you get it under that.

fatlander

WKR
Go sleep in the woods for 5-7 days between now and September with all the stuff you think you need. That’s the only way to figure it out. You’re going to have to find your own luxury items, everyone is different. 7 days is a long time to hunt the same area for elk, especially if they’re not there.

There’s countless threads on gear lists you can peruse here. Good luck on your hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The places I am most willing to pack a little extra weight are things that keep my feet happy (blister kit) and let me sleep well (large and warm pad and bag).

You'll find a lot of people claim pack weights without specific details. That drove me to weigh dang near everything and drop it into some software to see what the weight actually is and then start making decisions. They also often forget weather context.

I'll be hunting for 7 days, temps range from 25 at night to 80 in the day. Been cooked and snowed on in the same day. No tripod or spotter needed where we hunt. Pack base weight is 42ish pounds, including weapon and optics, food is around 2 pounds per day, 3L ofwater is 6.6 pounds and clothes and gear that I consider "worn" are around 7 pounds..... I'll be carrying about 70# in total, skin to pack.

Personally, I try to train for more than my  pack in weight.... I'm looking to pack some weight  out. 😁

My packing list for 2023 is here: https://lighterpack.com/r/mswehb

Fwiw, last year I had all of this and a bit more in my kuiu 6000 Pro pack bag and put my buddy's food bag, another 20 pounds, in the meat shelf for the walk in. The kuiu large boned out meat bag is sized perfectly for that.

Pack weight could vary from 30-55 pounds depending on type of gear and how minimalistic you are…or not. This weight is not counting your bow, worn clothing/boots, or bino pack. That’s just weight on your back.

You need to assemble your kit, find out how much it weighs, and then add 20-40 pounds for training, especially if you’re not training at high altitude. I train with 66-86 pounds but my 2 day/3 night weight is under 35 pounds, which feels like a feather compared to my training weight.

OP
C
The places I am most willing to pack a little extra weight are things that keep my feet happy (blister kit) and let me sleep well (large and warm pad and bag).

You'll find a lot of people claim pack weights without specific details. That drove me to weigh dang near everything and drop it into some software to see what the weight actually is and then start making decisions. They also often forget weather context.

I'll be hunting for 7 days, temps range from 25 at night to 80 in the day. Been cooked and snowed on in the same day. No tripod or spotter needed where we hunt. Pack base weight is 42ish pounds, including weapon and optics, food is around 2 pounds per day, 3L ofwater is 6.6 pounds and clothes and gear that I consider "worn" are around 7 pounds..... I'll be carrying about 70# in total, skin to pack.

Personally, I try to train for more than my  pack in weight.... I'm looking to pack some weight  out. 😁

My packing list for 2023 is here: https://lighterpack.com/r/mswehb

Fwiw, last year I had all of this and a bit more in my kuiu 6000 Pro pack bag and put my buddy's food bag, another 20 pounds, in the meat shelf for the walk in. The kuiu large boned out meat bag is sized perfectly for that.
Thanks for this. It’s extremely helpful

jwl76

FNG
My first backcountry elk trip we did 7 days and I was 70lbs which was way too heavy. We hiked 7 miles in and set-up a spike camp and hiked alot of miles each day from that spike camp. I packed for the first trip out of fear and what ifs and that's the main reason it became so heavy. Last year, was our 4th consecutive year doing the same backcountry trip and I had my pack weight down to 50lbs including 3L of water. I'm not sure how I can get it much lighter but its very manageable now.

The biggest thing that I have learned is what was stated earlier in this post.... what works for some people, may not work for me. You have to try to out and use it PERSONALLY. I have found that the best time to fine tune my kit is during scouting in August. The weather demands aren't as severe and it allows me tinker with my system in a less stressful season. For example, this year I'm running a down blanket and supplementing with additional layers that I am already packing rather than using a sleeping bag or a quilt. Only time will tell if it works. My kit is usually around 25 lbs. including weapon, but not including food/water. I have found that I also need 2 lbs. of food and 3 L of water (electrolytes added) per day. Water is usually what kills me in regards to pack weight.

I've always got a Garmin InReach, Sawyer Mini, Pyroputty, Crispi Boots, puffy, and Tylenol PM/Melatonin in my kit. I train with 50 lbs. and increase to 80 lbs. one month before scouting.

Kyle C

Lil-Rokslider
I'd be around 35-40lbs (with 3L of water) for a 5-6 day archery hunt. That's not including my bow and bino harness. Grizzley country im going be 3-4lbs heavier. I don't mind the extra weight at times and carry alot of luxury items depending on where I'm at. Could get the pack down a little but im a boujee bio**h and like a few extra things.

Everyone is very different though. Only experience and boots on the ground doing it will tell you what you like. I recommend reading some guys gear lists and taking things from them and trying them out.

Baby Wipes are my heavy luxury item but worth it. Lose the pillow and just sleep on your puffy jacket/pants. I'll have one Nalgene on the hike in and top off from streams along the way with my filter so I'm not packing tons of water. Once at basecamp fill your water bottles/bladders etc...

GrayGoose

Lil-Rokslider
Plan your food menu. Food takes up space and adds a good chunk to your pack weight as said earlier. Figure out high cal/oz foods and then try them out before your hunt.

Marble

WKR
I'll be between 38 and 55 lbs, usually closer to 45, depending on weather and weapon mostly. Archery tends to be close to 40, cold weather and rifle is heavier. Figure 1.5 to 2.0 pounds per day for food. My weight also depends on what and how much I plan on eating. Also the amount of water you carry if any. A heavier bag and clothing that is warmer with more waterproof stuff weighs a bunch. If the hike in is not too bad I may try and take less knowing I can go resupply.

For a pillow case I just bring an empty pillow case and put all of my extra clothes (sometimes other items) in it at night.

A good first aid kit with leukotape, mole skin and tenacious tape with NSAIDS is a must for me when I go in.

Scoot

WKR
Biggest mistake I see newbies make is- too much clothes. For me, I only bring an extra pair of socks and an extra pair of underwear. Other than that, it's boots, pants, merino wool shirt, vest, 90% jacket, raingear, and hat. If it's going to be colder, I pack a puffy jacket. This is for archery hunting in Sep.

There are a million pack lists available online- check them out and be thoughtful about it. I read and read before my first backpack hunt and I'd say my gear was about 80% dialed in on my first hunt. The 20% I've changed since then has been significant and meaningfully improved things though. I'm lighter and more comfortable on my trips now.

Like was said above- no two people are the same regarding this. I'd never consider a "real pillow", but as was mentioned above, some would. I considered a backpacking pillow a major upgrade from my fleece stuffed in a gamebag and the backpacking pillow is good enough for me.

Gerbdog

WKR
Oh i wouldnt call it a real pillow... its still tiny compared to that... its just stuffed with a proper pillow material ... clothes do work in this case and i have had success stuffing a small pillow case with clothing, but, i carry the stuffed pillow anyway, im usually only bringing a single pair of clothes and dont want to dig it out of my pillow in the morning.

As stated, its all what people are willing to do, and some people can sleep anywhere, i however like a proper support for my neck so i dont wake up stiff and sleeping good ive discovered makes the world of difference for me when it comes to staying out in the mountains for as long as i can. Everyone has their own methods, some its sheer determination, but for me.... its a decent pillow.