Back up plan- Help me choose/analysis paralysis

MT_Fin

WKR
I’ve been moving guns around, condensing, and off loading trying to simplify. I am about to grab a new Tikka as a primary hunting rifle…..most likely a 6.5cm as I have the most experience with it, of the two, but I keep thinking an 8 twist 243 w/ eventual re-barrel to 6cm would be sweet…..That’s an issue for another time though.

I’m paralyzed with scope options and indecision!!!!

The real issue is in speaking with Maven as they aren’t expecting a resupply if RS1.2’s in MIL until October. With antelope starting first part of October that doesn’t work. So, in the meantime, I am thinking about the following back-up options…..

In no particular order:
- Credo 2-15
- RS1.2 SHR-W
- SWFA 10x as a placeholder this season and replace with RS1.2
- Credo 3-9 as a placeholder and put on a different rifle later.
- 🤷‍♂️

Like I said, indecisive. Apparently I can’t make a decision to save my life apparently. So give me some input please. If it helps, I’m fairly new to dialing so no basis of preference as I would have to do some learning either way and no 5-600+ shots on the docket for me at this point.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
OP
MT_Fin

MT_Fin

WKR
Get a Remington 700 .300 wm put a Leupold 6x on it, don some flannel and kill a goat!

Make sure you’re growing your beard.
My beard is in its summer coat stage as it’s still too hot, but will work on the winter coat soon enough. Really not interested in any of the above honestly, in fact just sold my last Rem 700 yesterday. I do appreciate the input though.

You really can't go wrong with the .243 or 6.5. Just a matter of personal preference. From a recoil perspective, the .243 will have slightly less, but both are extremely manageable, and a non-issue if shooting suppressed. The 6.5 will have better barrel life, but the .243 is faster. You're not talking game changing differences between these two with the right bullets.

OP
MT_Fin

MT_Fin

WKR
You really can't go wrong with the .243 or 6.5. Just a matter of personal preference. From a recoil perspective, the .243 will have slightly less, but both are extremely manageable, and a non-issue if shooting suppressed. The 6.5 will have better barrel life, but the .243 is faster. You're not talking game changing differences between these two with the right bullets.
Yup, that’s my issue. I can reload for either and have owned/own both (never had fast twist 243 though) so I just keep going round and round!!

Mostly the scope issue I’m trying to solve though.

Yup, that’s my issue. I can reload for either and have owned/own both (never had fast twist 243 though) so I just keep going round and round!!

Mostly the scope issue I’m trying to solve though.
On the scope, if you have another variable mounted on a different rifle up to 10x, walk around with it on 10x and see if you're comfortable with the FOV loss. If so, save some money and go the SWFA placeholder route. I was in the same spot earlier this year, and I didn't like the tight FOV at 10x for potential quick offhand shots and shopped around for a SWFA 6x. I'm very happy with the choice.

OP
MT_Fin

MT_Fin

WKR
On the scope, if you have another variable mounted on a different rifle up to 10x, walk around with it on 10x and see if you're comfortable with the FOV loss. If so, save some money and go the SWFA placeholder route. I was in the same spot earlier this year, and I didn't like the tight FOV at 10x for potential quick offhand shots and shopped around for a SWFA 6x. I'm very happy with the choice.
I’ve used 3-9 on 9x a bunch (mostly due to forgetting to turn it down) and while somewhat limiting it’s doable. Preference would be that 6x for sure, been looking for a while but no luck yet.

I’ve used 3-9 on 9x a bunch (mostly due to forgetting to turn it down) and while somewhat limiting it’s doable. Preference would be that 6x for sure, been looking for a while but no luck yet.
Roger that man, and patience will pay off eventually. However, expect to pay a premium in the 450-550 range for used in good condition. Good luck!

WKR
I’ve been moving guns around, condensing, and off loading trying to simplify. I am about to grab a new Tikka as a primary hunting rifle…..most likely a 6.5cm as I have the most experience with it, of the two, but I keep thinking an 8 twist 243 w/ eventual re-barrel to 6cm would be sweet…..That’s an issue for another time though.

The real issue is in speaking with Maven as they aren’t expecting a resupply if RS1.2’s in MIL until October. With antelope starting first part of October that doesn’t work. So, in the meantime, I am thinking about the following back-up options…..

In no particular order:
- Credo 2-15
- RS1.2 SHR-W
- 🤷‍♂️

Like I said, indecisive. Apparently I can’t make a decision to save my life apparently. So give me some input please. If it helps, I’m fairly new to dialing so no basis of preference as I would have to do some learning either way and no 5-600+ shots on the docket for me at this point.

Thanks in advance.
If you rebarrel to 6cm, it makes no difference going from 6.5cm or 243.

You say you are considering the maven in moa for a backup solution, so if you're willing to shoot moa, I can send you a swfa 6x in moa to use for the season.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU

In no particular order:
- Credo 2-15
- RS1.2 SHR-W
- 🤷‍♂️

Thanks in advance.

Of those, I would, and do prefer the 10x SWFA with MQ reticle. The fixed power 10x is better than most/all variables set on 10x from an eyebox standpoint. I used a couple fixed 10’s the last year and have no issue with them for most hunting.

OP
MT_Fin

MT_Fin

WKR
If you rebarrel to 6cm, it makes no difference going from 6.5cm or 243.

You say you are considering the maven in moa for a backup solution, so if you're willing to shoot moa, I can send you a swfa 6x in moa to use for the season.
Thanks, I might just take you up on that. I’ll shoot you a PM.

OP
MT_Fin

MT_Fin

WKR
Of those, I would, and do prefer the 10x SWFA with MQ reticle. The fixed power 10x is better than most/all variables set on 10x from an eyebox standpoint. I used a couple fixed 10’s the last year and have no issue with them for most hunting.
Form, is there a drastic usability difference between the side and rear focus version that’s worth the $100 difference?

The fixed 10s are sneaky good scopes i just picked up a 2nd to just keep laying around and a backup. I actually like it more than the 6x and it even made me briefly consider selling my 3-9(no not happening I snapped out of it) I wouldn't hesitate to use one for a season. Eventually you'll want ffp and mils I think your wasting your time picking up something else in the meantime until you can get a maven.

i have a tikka 8 twist 243 wood stocked Hunter that i dropped into a stocky's VG with a SWFA 10x on top. this will be the first season but i'm confident it will work just fine. half of my kills are within 100 yards so 10x might be a bit much, but 90% of the time i only need one shot. it was good to go with just the wood stock and 10x but i can't pass up a good sale on a VG stock.

i grabbed the rear focus 10x bc it's less expensive. but at 3200 fps i dont think i'll be screwing around focusing or dialing anything from zero to 200 yards. see deer, shoot deer. rinse, repeat. will i replace it with a trijicon variable scope? someday. but i could also just shoot this combo for a few years and be happy. just grab the SWFA and be done with it.

Weldor

WKR
I don't know about you guys but I rarely use the lower power on my optics. 10X works for most of my hunting, still like a little more at times for shooting distance 15x18x. Just my old eyes. Not a gadget guy so less is more.