Help me choose a scope for my sheep rifle

OrangeMan73

Lil-Rokslider
No holdover reticle unfortunately. Could fit the bill otherwise. Wonder about durability, this is one that should be on the list for Form to test

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
THIS!!! Somebody please send Form one so we can get a report out.

Poor feedback on the Mil-R surprises me. Just looking at photos of it, l thought it’d be pretty nice.

The green stocked rifle in the picture I posted has the older mil-dot reticle. Many don't care for it but for me it works great. I mostly hunt in Oregon which if you don't know we do get plenty of rain, I hunt both mule deer and blacktails when I don't draw anything better. The reticle shows well enough even on poor light rainy days, I like to keep it at 6x and it works great IMHO. I also have 2 of the MOAR reticle scopes, people say that reticle washes out in poor light but so far I haven't had it not be visible so again no complaints. Wish I had several more of the older mil-dot scopes but they are tough to find.

OP
Jake Larsen
Form beat me to the bolder point. Taking a SFP scope with a thin reticle designed to be precise still at max mag doesn’t leave you with a highly visible reticle at low power even if it doesn’t shrink with the mag. I only had the MOAR NXS compact and the reticle was thin. Wasn’t a problem though just like good ffp reticles haven’t been a problem for close shots.

Thanks for that feedback. Definitely making me think about the SB

atmat

WKR
My sample of 1 nsx compact might as well have been a fixed parallax because you could barely detect the parallax knob changing anything.
Mine was the same. I never touched it.

The NXS is a great scope overall. But it didn’t do it for me.

Firestone

WKR
I was in the same boat building another mule deer gun. I went with the credo and have no regrets. I personally like the reticle, simple, clean, and 2nd focal plane didn't bother me at all. I'll probably by another one some day.

Castmaster

Lil-Rokslider
How about a Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x44 with the HTMR reticle? It only weighs 19.7oz.

OP
Jake Larsen
How about a Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x44 with the HTMR reticle? It only weighs 19.7oz.

I want to be able to say yes. Those are really nice scopes. Unfortunately, they are terribly unreliable for dialing/durability. Check out the drop test section in the long range forum, or do a search on this site or any other forum about Leupold and dialing/return to zero. It’s ugly. The company has made attempts to address it, and dug the hole even deeper unfortunately

Castmaster

Lil-Rokslider
I want to be able to say yes. Those are really nice scopes. Unfortunately, they are terribly unreliable for dialing/durability. Check out the drop test section in the long range forum, or do a search on this site or any other forum about Leupold and dialing/return to zero. It’s ugly. The company has made attempts to address it, and dug the hole even deeper unfortunately

I wasn’t even aware of that, I’ll have to check that out. Thats unfortunate that they haven’t done anything about it yet.

OP
Jake Larsen
I wasn’t even aware of that, I’ll have to check that out. Thats unfortunate that they haven’t done anything about it yet.

It really is. On paper they have an awesome product line. Unfortunately, they don’t seem interested in listening to end user input and improving their product.

WVelkhunter

Lil-Rokslider
I'd go with the March D25V52TML. Looks to check all you boxes, with alot more tope end magnification.

180ls1

WKR

I wouldn't put too much weight in that. It depends who you listen to. I've never had an issue with mine. This forum in particular hates them. Other forums love them.

180ls1

WKR
Giving up durability is simply not an option on a sheep hunt.

If that was the case people wouldn't recommend variable scopes, dialing scopes or even scopes at all...

Remember "There are no solutions, only tradeoffs."

OP
Jake Larsen
OP
Jake Larsen
I wouldn't put too much weight in that. It depends who you listen to. I've never had an issue with mine. This forum in particular hates them. Other forums love them.

I want to like them. I’ve used several in the past. They’ve been nothing but issues for me and many many others. Here’s a small sample of what I’m talking about. Do your own research…for every positive feedback you’ll find this repeated everywhere you look.

Leupold Engineer's Comment on Tracking.

180ls1

WKR
I want to like them. I’ve used several in the past. They’ve been nothing but issues for me and many many others. Here’s a small sample of what I’m talking about. Do your own research…for every positive feedback you’ll find this repeated everywhere you look.

Leupold Engineer's Comment on Tracking.

I'll check it out. Thanks.