Help me choose a scope for my sheep rifle

OP
Jake Larsen
The 2-10x mark 5 from Leupold i have used at work and in competition and it is a phenomenal scope as well but may be too heavy for your application.

I actually owned a Mark5 3-18 at one point. If i was setting up a 1000 yard gun, it’d be a top contender. It’s just a bit too heavy for my build parameters for this particular rifle. I know i can get the job done with a lot less weight. The 2-10 is a both heavy and for my application id like to see at least 35-40mm objective. Looks like an ideal option for a gas gun though, along with the NF 1-8x.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Jake Larsen
Have you looked through a 3-12x42 Klassic? If not, you don’t know what you’re talking about.

I agree with you: tons of FFP reticles are AWFUL for hunting. The Klassic looks exactly like a Duplex reticle at low power. It’s really, really good. I hunt a lot of dark hardwoods and it’s as good as any reticle I’ve used.

Do you remember at what power the Mil dots become useable for wind holds? The major advantage (for me) of the FFP would be to allow me to use wind holds on a sub 250 yard shot without running the scope to 10x - obviously not ideal for spotting impact, follow up shots, FOV, ect. If it’s like a regular duplex at 3x, how does it look at 5-6x?

Btw I’m shopping for one of these now…I’ve got two rifles. Going to put the NSX on one and the S&B on the other. I’ll do a comparison and write up eventually.

atmat

WKR
Do you remember at what power the Mil dots become useable for wind holds? The major advantage (for me) of the FFP would be to allow me to use wind holds on a sub 250 yard shot without running the scope to 10x - obviously not ideal for spotting impact, follow up shots, FOV, ect. If it’s like a regular duplex at 3x, how does it look at 5-6x?

Btw I’m shopping for one of these now…I’ve got two rifles. Going to put the NSX on one and the S&B on the other. I’ll do a comparison and write up eventually.

Without having it in front of me, I don’t want to speak and potentially mislead.

That said, why are you holding wind at <250? On my 6creed, it would take a 17mph completely perpendicular wind to knock the bullet off even 0.5mil, which is only 4.5” off target.

OP
Jake Larsen
Without having it in front of me, I don’t want to speak and potentially mislead.

That said, why are you holding wind at QUOTE]

My 7SAW 2 will be a 6mph gun, so an 18mph crosswind at 250 yards is a .7 mil hold. A 12mph crosswind is .5 - i’d hold half a mil on that shot. The reason I stated the question that specifically was because at 300 + yards, running 10x with the NSX in order to take advantage of holdovers doesn’t bother me too much. Maybe not ideal at 300-350, but not a deal breaker that’s for sure. Shots 250 yards and under, I’m not holding over anyways. So the only advantage of FFP at that point is for wind holds at closer ranges.

Last edited:

Formidilosus

Super Moderator

By 6x they are usable.

OP
Jake Larsen

That said, why are you holding wind at QUOTE]

My 7SAW 2 will be a 6mph gun, so an 18mph crosswind at 250 yards is approaching a .7 mil hold. A 12mph crosswind is .5 - i’d hold half a mil on that shot. The reason I stated the question that specifically was because at 300 + yards, running 10x with the NSX in order to take advantage of holdovers doesn’t bother me too much. Maybe not ideal at 300-350, but not a deal breaker that’s for sure. Shots 250 yards and under, I’m not holding over anyways. So the only advantage of FFP at that point is for wind holds at closer ranges.