Attacked by an Owl!

OP
L

Loper

WKR
Are you bald, by chance? I've heard that birds tend to attack bald heads.
No, I've got a full head of hair. In fact, its been about a month since I've gotten a haircut and so it kind of stands up 2-3 inches off my head if I don't comb it down. This is especially the case in the mornings when I wake up which makes me wonder if it sways side to side when I run and is potentially what gets the owls' attention.

I'm guessing you've seen the bird enough to know it's an owl, but this sounds like textbook Goshawk behavior, especially in the area of a nest.
Yes, I've seen both owls up close as well as when it lands in the trees.
Do you resemble a rat???
I haven't been told I do, but perhaps everyone is just being kind?

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Most birds will get real protective if you get anywhere near their nesting area. I have been dive bombed several time by various birds. I think mocking birds are the worst.

MNGrouser

FNG
The first time I ever got to go turkey hunting my dad, brother and I were sitting around swapping stories with the guide the night before. He was telling us how common it was to have owls dive-bomb when calling in the early morning darkness. He said it had happened to him numerous times and it comes in silently every time.

Fastforward to the next morning. I'm all camoed up clutching my 870 waiting for first light. The guide is seated directly behind me and we've got a tom roosted up the ridge a little way. The guide has my turkey talking to him. The next thing I know I've got a wing rushing past the side of my head and I'm being "attacked by an owl" on my first ever turkey hunt. I about jumped out of my camo and I'm pretty sure I swore. That's when I hear the guide rolling around on the ground laughing.

He had packed in a turkey wing and was trying to simulate a turkey flying down from its roost...except he forgot to warn me. He knew instantly what I thought and that he had scared the crap out of me. Between the 2 of us we pretty much ruined that first sit. My brother shot a nice tom later that morning and it was the next day before I tagged out.

OP
L

Loper

WKR
OP, hopefully your daughter is suitably impressed?
She's at camp right now so I haven't had a chance to tell her.

Most birds will get real protective if you get anywhere near their nesting area. I have been dive bombed several time by various birds. I think mocking birds are the worst.
Yeah, I've seen that before. Not sure if there was a nest nearby in either of these situations with the owls.

The first time I ever got to go turkey hunting my dad, brother and I were sitting around swapping stories with the guide the night before. He was telling us how common it was to have owls dive-bomb when calling in the early morning darkness. He said it had happened to him numerous times and it comes in silently every time.

Fastforward to the next morning. I'm all camoed up clutching my 870 waiting for first light. The guide is seated directly behind me and we've got a tom roosted up the ridge a little way. The guide has my turkey talking to him. The next thing I know I've got a wing rushing past the side of my head and I'm being "attacked by an owl" on my first ever turkey hunt. I about jumped out of my camo and I'm pretty sure I swore. That's when I hear the guide rolling around on the ground laughing.

He had packed in a turkey wing and was trying to simulate a turkey flying down from its roost...except he forgot to warn me. He knew instantly what I thought and that he had scared the crap out of me. Between the 2 of us we pretty much ruined that first sit. My brother shot a nice tom later that morning and it was the next day before I tagged out.
That's pretty funny!