Attacked by an Owl!

Loper

WKR
This morning I woke up earlier than usual as I wanted to get a long run in when it was dark out.

About a mile and half into the run as I was exiting my neighborhood I noticed the outline of an owl sitting on a telephone wire. When I saw it I was actually telling myself how cool owls are and how I enjoy seeing them around my neighborhood. My daughter is really into birds of prey and actually went to a week long camp at the local Audubon Society the last two summers. As I ran under the telephone wire the owl was sitting on, I was thinking how cool she’ll think it is that I saw an owl on my run.

Then about two miles later, in a different neighborhood, I was running in the middle of the street, when all of a sudden I feel something sharp on the top of my head. At first I thought that i somehow I didn’t see a low hanging branch and it scraped my head. Naturally, I stutter stepped and ducked my head down and let out a brief “Owww”. As I looked up, I saw an owl flying low heading in the same direction I was running in. I watched him land about 20 yards in front of me on top of a 10 foot street sign. I then immediately realized that the damn owl had attacked me. I kept running and screamed obscenities at the owl as a shot of adrenaline hit me. He just looked at me and spun his head around as I passed him

I’ve heard of owls attacking people before but I never thought it would happen to me. Fortunately, there weren’t any puncture wounds on my scalp. I kept feeling around on my head thinking I was probably bleeding but there was no blood. I think the encounter could have been a lot worse than it was and the owl probably could have tore my scalp up pretty good if it wanted to.

That's wild! I've been dive bombed by birds, but never actually attacked. Glad it didn't tear you up.

Weird. My wife was just telling me about someone in her running club who had this happen to them. In their case, the owl did it ~3 times before leaving them alone.

What drives them to do that?? Must be some sort of confusion on what it is they’re attacking?

Had one fly into the door on my truck driving out one evening on a dirt road. Rang his bell. Couldn’t see any broken bones, so I just moved him to the side of the road and wished him the best. I think it was a male because we do dumb shit like that.
Same here. Had one fly into my mirror on a 1977 Chevy Truck. Gives you a good shock to see the flash out of the corner of your eye then have it fold the mirror in lol like yours he was stunned and just stoop on the side of the road for a while

BBob

WKR
I’m not so sure how smart they really are. I was benighted up high ~10K feet in the Ruby’s sleeping barely under a small juniper when I woke up to something that kept fluttering at my head. Turned headlamp on and a snowy owl was hovering in my face. I’m sure it thought it was trying to get a rabbit or something.

OP
L

Loper

WKR
Weird. My wife was just telling me about someone in her running club who had this happen to them. In their case, the owl did it ~3 times before leaving them alone.

What drives them to do that?? Must be some sort of confusion on what it is they’re attacking?

That’s crazy! Not sure why they do it. When I was attacked I was on my first lap of 3. You can bet I was looking for him the other two times I ran down that street. Never saw him another time though.

Got dive bombed in texas one night predator hunting. I was using a mouth call to let out some squeaks and he aborted at the last second. when he realized I was a bigger mouse then he bargained for! Silent on the glide in when he aborted I heard him pull up and past me. Saw him fly up in a tree about 20 yds away thru the nvg's. Neat but definitely would not want to tangle with those talons.

Found this guy when hiking in Tucson last fall drying out after a big storm.

Attachments

• 20220820_074500.jpg
    20220820_074500.jpg
    586.3 KB · Views: 66
  • 20220820_074500.jpg
    20220820_074500.jpg
    586.3 KB · Views: 66
If you want to read something interesting look up the death of Kathleen Peterson. Her husband served time for her death. There is a very interesting theory that she died by accidentally falling down the stairs after an owl attacked her. There have been numerous TV shows on the incident as well but none really get into the owl theory.

OP
L

Loper

WKR
If you want to read something interesting look up the death of Kathleen Peterson. Her husband served time for her death. There is a very interesting theory that she died by accidentally falling down the stairs after an owl attacked her. There have been numerous TV shows on the incident as well but none really get into the owl theory.

Actually, when I referenced that I’d heard of people attacked before I was thinking of this story. I think I saw a Dateline episode on this story a few years back. This story is what was going through my head for a good bit this morning.

My uncle had a great horned owl fly off with his cowboy hat while predator calling. Never found the hat.

OP
L

Loper

WKR
Got dive bombed in texas one night predator hunting. I was using a mouth call to let out some squeaks and he aborted at the last second. when he realized I was a bigger mouse then he bargained for! Silent on the glide in when he aborted I heard him pull up and past me. Saw him fly up in a tree about 20 yds away thru the nvg's. Neat but definitely would not want to tangle with those talons.

Found this guy when hiking in Tucson last fall drying out after a big storm.
They are definitely as quiet as they say. I never heard him approach me from behind and didn’t hear him even as he flew off.

My uncle had a great horned owl fly off with his cowboy hat while predator calling. Never found the hat.
That’s crazy!

HoytHntr4

WKR
I have been dive bombed in my deer stand before, same owl came after me 3 different times. They are absolutely silent coming through the air when they do it

elkivory

FNG
Walking out of the forest right at dark one evening several years ago, I had one buzz me like 3 times. He would land in a tree ahead and watch for me. Pretty scary.