Attacked by an Owl!

Wrench

WKR
Been there too. My buddy hit the bird with a shotgun as it was reaching for my head.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I had one steal a Robo dove on me. He really didn't get to far, the wings were beating him up pretty good, and he couldn't kill it.

Similar story, 1976 or 77, I was a teenager hiking with a friend at night at 11000 ft looking for a campsite. A great horned owl came down and grazed my head and I felt it. I had a good old Stevens 16 ga, single barrel loaded with either 7.5 or 6 shot. That owl came back at me and silhouetted against the full moon and I shot in his direction. The owl flew off and never came back. This was in Ecuador, I never wanted to shoot a bird of prey but that great horned owl was determined to get me....

A few months ago late at night I was driving the ATV over to my shop 125yards down the driveway and an owl dive bombed me as well. Didn't hit me, but came close enough that I yelled out loud and about jumped off the wheeler :)

I have had one dive bomb my stocking hat in the tree stand too but I saw him first and ducked. They can get aggressive for sure but they are looking for the small rodent that keeps bobbing around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yarak

WKR
Interesting stories
Never heard of an owl going after people
I did have one to light in a tree very close behind me one morning just before daybreak
I was about 30' up in a tree stand
The owl screamed and I was never so glad I had my safety harness on because it caught me as I was so startled that I stood up and fell forward to escape the booger that was about to get me

Jaker_cc

WKR
A guy I went to high school with lost an eye after an owl attacked him in a tree stand. He said it was just after dark and he imagined the owl mistook him for a squirrel or something similar.

Rich M

WKR
I had one get friendly just before dawn one day - it started hooting and was real interested in what I was - hopping down a limb to the next and next, getting closer and closer, hooting quite a bit. I put my bow up as a shield and watched the show. Very neat. He stopped about 20 ft away.

Same general woods - Next early morning episode was one that landed about 8 ft away on a limb that looked like he used it frequently (no bark left). He watched me pull my phone out, turn it on and take a picture of him.

Owl.jpg

this is why I don't go running, it's getting too dangerous out there.
I watched a goose go all out on a jogger in town 2 years ago, the funniest thing I ever saw lol

TSAMP

WKR
Did you happen to have a headlamp on? I have noticed while predator hunting in texas many times I turned my red/green light on to scan for animals I could get the owls swooping in and reacting.

OP
L

Loper

WKR
A guy I went to high school with lost an eye after an owl attacked him in a tree stand. He said it was just after dark and he imagined the owl mistook him for a squirrel or something similar.

That’s crazy! I’ve never heard of anyone losing any eye before, but I guess it isn’t that uncommon to have an owl encounter in a tree stand as some have mentioned here.

Walking out of the forest right at dark one evening several years ago, I had one buzz me like 3 times. He would land in a tree ahead and watch for me. Pretty scary.
The owl definitely flew ahead of me and stood perched on a street sign about 20 yards ahead of me. As I passed I kept thinking he might attack me again, but I didn’t want to turn around as I would have preferred he attack the back of my head rather than the front of my face. I didn’t want get my face ripped apart or lose an eye like Jakerr-cc mentioned in this thread

A few months ago late at night I was driving the ATV over to my shop 125yards down the driveway and an owl dive bombed me as well. Didn't hit me, but came close enough that I yelled out loud and about jumped off the wheeler :)
I yelled as well. Right after it happened I kept saying “F You Owl, F You!” I’m sure the surrounding homes were probably wondering what was going on at 4:45 am in their normally quiet street.

I had one get friendly just before dawn one day - it started hooting and was real interested in what I was - hopping down a limb to the next and next, getting closer and closer, hooting quite a bit. I put my bow up as a shield and watched the show. Very neat. He stopped about 20 ft away.

Same general woods - Next early morning episode was one that landed about 8 ft away on a limb that looked like he used it frequently (no bark left). He watched me pull my phone out, turn it on and take a picture of him.

View attachment 582281
Excellent photo! I don’t often see owls in the day light. Before this I’ve always been very interested in owls. When I hear them hooting outside at night near my house, many times I grab the spot light and try to find them in the trees. They are amazing birds to observe.
Did you happen to have a headlamp on? I have noticed while predator hunting in texas many times I turned my red/green light on to scan for animals I could get the owls swooping in and reacting.
No, I didn’t have a headlamp on. I don’t like running with any gadgetry (watches, lights, heart monitor). The only thing I can think of that may have spurred it was I had an energy gel in my hand and had just opened it a couple of minutes before. Not sure if the owl was attracted to the smell of the gel or not, but I doubt it as he hit the top of my head and not my hand.

Last edited:

Rich M

WKR
Excellent photo! I don’t often see owls in the day light. Before this I’ve always been very interested in owls. When I hear them hooting outside at night near my house, many times I grab the spot light and try to find them in the trees. They are amazing birds to observe.
Yes sir! I always enjoy seeing and hearing them when hunting, and otherwise.

We used to have some wildlife around our house and that included 2 eastern screech owls - one red phase and one gray phase. They would perch on our outside bathroom window sill and hunt by the motion sensor light. We really neat to open the window and have this little owl spin his head around to look at you. This was before I had a cell phone...

Likewise, my folks had a barn owl in their neighborhood - it would perch up above a nearby street light every now and again - good sized critter. Very neat. Let you walk right under it and check it out.

OP
L

Loper

WKR
We used to have some wildlife around our house and that included 2 eastern screech owls - one red phase and one gray phase. They would perch on our outside bathroom window sill and hunt by the motion sensor light.

Very wise of him to hunt by the motion sensor light. I wonder if other owls use this as a hunting tactic or if this considered illegal or not fair chase in the owl hunting regulations.