Athlon vs vortex

Morning guys,
I am going to do some optics upgrades in the near future and need some opinions. I have decided to get a set of meopro hd 10x42 and a new spotter. I cant decide between the ares 65mm or the razor hd 65. Anything larger than 65mm is not an option purely from a weight standpoint. So tell me what ya think!? I have heard athlon glass is better now than the razor. I am purely backpack hunting covering alot of miles/elevation. It will be used for long range spot snd stock. Thnx

I have a 2017 Viper in 65mm. It's darn good. Not top of the line clarity and light gathering but it's good. I can glas up to 4 miles away and spot game up to the last minute of legal shooting light. I did that again just a couple minutes ago. I talked to athlon and they said the glass for an Ares should be comparable to or better than the Viper. I believe it. The Athlon is also much smaller. Today I'd probably go with the Athlon. I do worry a bit that Athlon would go under and make the warranty useless. Vortex is much more established.

You should be good to go.

I also recently bought Maven C1s and they are capital a awesome. You should demo some before you pull the trigger on a bino purchase. Wowza, they have good glass.

I have a 2017 Viper in 65mm. It's darn good. Not top of the line clarity and light gathering but it's good. I can glas up to 4 miles away and spot game up to the last minute of legal shooting light. I did that again just a couple minutes ago. I talked to athlon and they said the glass for an Ares should be comparable to or better than the Viper. I believe it. The Athlon is also much smaller. Today I'd probably go with the Athlon. I do worry a bit that Athlon would go under and make the warranty useless. Vortex is much more established.

You should be good to go.

I also recently bought Maven C1s and they are capital a awesome. You should demo some before you pull the trigger on a bino purchase. Wowza, they have good glass.

Athlon was formed by former Bushnell guys, if that makes you feel better about them being a newer company.

Yeah, they seem to be pretty solid. You never know with newer companies though. It's a small consideration to me but it's a consideration. The same with Maven but I could more easily eat a $280 bino loss.

I would order both and look through them. Vortex to my eye is never quite clear from binos to scopes to spotters top of the line to bottom. No clue what does it but they are never quite crystal clear always just a hair fuzzy. Friends will be the exact opposite but I’ve learned vortex is not an option for me which is just fine.

Back