Razor (Gen 1) vs. Athlon Ares G2 Spotter

nobody

WKR
The title speaks for itself. Looking to get into one of these two spotters:

Razor Gen 1 (Old Model) 16-48x65
Athlon Ares G2 UHD 15-45x65

Both of these meet my size, budget, and weight requirements. I know there’s better out there, but this is going to be for backpacking deep, so I’m wanting something smaller than an 85, and lighter.

Anybody with experience with both care to chime in? Dad has the Gen 1 Razor, the larger model, and it’s a solid scope for the price. Just zero experience with the Athlon, so I’m hoping somebody can compare/contrast.

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
They are both excellent for the money. The Gen I Razor can be found cheap right now. We have both in stock if interested and can work a good deal on them.

Tahoe1305

WKR
They are both excellent for the money. The Gen I Razor can be found cheap right now. We have both in stock if interested and can work a good deal on them.
You can use different eye pieces on the razor. Up to and including swaros. Just FYI.

IMO the finger focus on the razor makes it great (same focus as kowas).

OP
N

nobody

WKR
You can use different eye pieces on the razor. Up to and including swaros. Just FYI.

That’s one big draw is the fine/coarse focus for sure.

Didn’t know that about the eyepieces, that’s interesting

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

I prefer the old razor with the dual focus for sure. You are 100% spot on IMO

Highlands Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
The title speaks for itself. Looking to get into one of these two spotters:

Razor Gen 1 (Old Model) 16-48x65
Athlon Ares G2 UHD 15-45x65

Both of these meet my size, budget, and weight requirements. I know there’s better out there, but this is going to be for backpacking deep, so I’m wanting something smaller than an 85, and lighter.

Anybody with experience with both care to chime in? Dad has the Gen 1 Razor, the larger model, and it’s a solid scope for the price. Just zero experience with the Athlon, so I’m hoping somebody can compare/contrast.
I know this is almost a month old, but I have had both scopes and I think optically the Athlon is the better glass. It is sharper, better color, and it is brighter.
The benefit to the Vortex is the fine focus knob. Optically the Razor has a much more muted gray tint when looking through it.

Tahoe1305

WKR
Here's a pretty good non-biased review.

That review is a tad misleading though because it’s a Gen II Razor. Heavier and some (not all) like the Gen I better than Gen II. I’m in the Gen I camp…..especially since I can use swaro 25-50 eyepiece on it.

I swing the other way..... vortex gen1 eyepiece on a swaro.
IMG_8431_zps2dtjduy8.jpg

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor