Arken in the House

Tumbleweed

Lil-Rokslider
Those things are extremely low quality.
I realize this thread is old, but you couldn't be more wrong on your assessment. Do you own any? They are very high quality, especially for the price point. Tough as hell and great glass. Oh yeah, tracking and return to zero are flawless as well🤷‍♀️

I realize this thread is old, but you couldn't be more wrong on your assessment. Do you own any? They are very high quality, especially for the price point. Tough as hell and great glass. Oh yeah, tracking and return to zero are flawless as well🤷‍♀️
Have you read any of Forms Arken scope eval yet? I don't think he has finished yet, but there is some information there that many will find interesting.

OP
J

JGRaider

WKR
Have you read any of Forms Arken scope eval yet? I don't think he has finished yet, but there is some information there that many will find interesting.
I own 3 Arkens now, so why do I need to base my decisions on Form's evaluation when I use them myself? I agree with Tumbleweed......so far anyway, mine have performed perfectly. Actual use trumps guessing every day.

Tumbleweed

Lil-Rokslider
I have actually. I'm assuming you're referring to the drop test evaluation where the EPL4 performed extremely well surpassing by far scopes like the MK5 Leupold and Vortex Razor LRT?

I have actually. I'm assuming you're referring to the drop test evaluation where the EPL4 performed extremely well surpassing by far scopes like the MK5 Leupold and Vortex Razor LRT?
Considering it FAILED the drop tests I would not say it did extremely well. However, his example of one has done much better than some of the scopes he has tested that have failed.

Tumbleweed

Lil-Rokslider
Considering it FAILED the drop tests I would not say it did extremely well. However, his example of one has done much better than some of the scopes he has tested that have failed.
That's my point. It did far better as a $400 scope than $2500 plus dollar scopes. I don't know how ANYONE could say the Arkens are low quality with any measuring stick, especially at the price point. I personally feel the drop tests are borderline abusive at the 36" level and beyond what 99% of scopes will ever face even on the toughest hunts. It has certainly weeded out the weak optics though. Just confirmed again that I have nothing to worry about from the Arkens on my rifles

BBob

WKR
Considering it FAILED the drop tests
I wouldn’t say it FAILED completely. It only failed on the 36” drop on top. The dilo guy acknowledges this. After a re-zero it has held poi. So far it’s passed the truck tests which many fail. I don’t own one but have been objectively following to see how these do.

Initial conclusions: The scope zeroed and adjusted fine. It did not pass the full drop eval, though it seems to handle 18” and most 36” drops fine.” “The scope is zeroed and I will see how it holds riding in the truck.” “Zero check today after 30’ish miles on paved roads and 4 or so on NF-“

OP
J

JGRaider

WKR
I wouldn’t say it FAILED completely. It only failed on the 36” drop on top. The dilo guy acknowledges this. After a re-zero it has held poi. So far it’s passed the truck tests which many fail. I don’t own one but have been objectively following to see how these do.

Initial conclusions: The scope zeroed and adjusted fine. It did not pass the full drop eval, though it seems to handle 18” and most 36” drops fine.” “The scope is zeroed and I will see how it holds riding in the truck.” “Zero check today after 30’ish miles on paved roads and 4 or so on NF-“

I tagged along with my buddy on his West TX aoudad sheep hunt on a 250 sq mile Texas ranch N of Ft Davis. Not a cow, sheep, goat, on the place.....primitive to say the least. We put 175 miles on a Polaris Ranger in 4 days, walked 20 miles on top of that. I wasn't sheep hunting, but packed along my S20/Arken to whack hogs with. Wound up shooting 4-5 out to 500 yards, so it took that 175 mile trek pretty well I'd say. This scenario is why I emphasize not making buying decisions solely on a rifle/scope drop test. That's crazy.

BBob

WKR
This scenario is why I emphasize not making buying decisions solely on a rifle/scope drop test. That's crazy.
Exactly. I wonder if on the 36” top drop it slightly bent the body rather than the adjustment mechanism failed? Being that the poi changed, re-zeroed and hasn’t moved since seems to be that might be a reason. If so then, unless I crashed hard I might feel pretty confident in one of these. Time will tell.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
well they dont pass drop tests and the one I owned had a windage knob failure almost right away. Those arent signs of a high quality product.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"

after re-zero it held POI.....until it's dropped again.

Tumbleweed

Lil-Rokslider
well they dont pass drop tests and the one I owned had a windage knob failure almost right away. Those arent signs of a high quality product.
Lol! You can't see the forest for the trees! There was a $5k scope that didn't pass. Are you saying it isn't high quality? Probably just another Arken hater. I'm guessing your windage turret "issue" was set screws not tight enough. 🤷‍♀️

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Lol! You can't see the forest for the trees! There was a $5k scope that didn't pass. Are you saying it isn't high quality? Probably just another Arken hater. I'm guessing your windage turret "issue" was set screws not tight enough. 🤷‍♀️
If the 5k scope dosent pass, then yes, I would say its a piece of junk. Even more so than the arken. And no, when my arken went back, they replaced it because it was broken. It was not an issue of loose screws.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Which of about 99% of scopes out there seem to do. Most fail miserably and a few not so much and very very few that don’t. I guess it’s buy the Nightforce or nothing then…..
Buy whatever you want. Everybody needs to make their own decisions on what they are willing to sacrifice and what they are willing to spend.

BBob

WKR
^^^I think that’s sort of the point of this thread. Not everyone can afford a stable of Nightforce so what’s out there where a good compromise can be made? If the Arken proves to be a good compromise for some or many then that’s great.

Oh, and yours had issues which is also good to know.

Last edited:

Tumbleweed

Lil-Rokslider
Bey whatever you want. Everybody needs to make their own decisions on what they are willing to sacrifice and what they are willing to spend.
You are still correlating ruggedness with price point. The author of these tests clearly pointed out in his remarks that he has found no correlation there. So you will go spend $2500 plus on say a Mark5 (of which two failed miserably in this test) or one of the other $2k plus scopes that failed but you still want to beat up the $400 Arken that did far better? I mean spend what you want and buy what it want, but your logic makes ZERO sense.

OP
J

JGRaider

WKR
Exactly. I wonder if on the 36” top drop it slightly bent the body rather than the adjustment mechanism failed? Being that the poi changed, re-zeroed and hasn’t moved since seems to be that might be a reason. If so then, unless I crashed hard I might feel pretty confident in one of these. Time will tell.

I'm not discounting what this Form guy does in any way. He has lots of good info. I don't subscribe to this hero worship mentality though that many do here. I wonder if they can go take a dump without asking his permission and approval?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
You are still correlating ruggedness with price point. The author of these tests clearly pointed out in his remarks that he has found no correlation there. So you will go spend $2500 plus on say a Mark5 (of which two failed miserably in this test) or one of the other $2k plus scopes that failed but you still want to beat up the $400 Arken that did far better? I mean spend what you want and buy what it want, but your logic makes ZERO sense.
sorry but no. This is a thread about Arken optics so that is the only thing I'm commenting on in this thread. Lets try to stay on track here.,