Arken in the House

OP
J

JGRaider

WKR
Just curious. Not a chance in hades I would. I see that as very unethical (no offense).

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Just curious. Not a chance in hades I would. I see that as very unethical (no offense).

It’s the internet, I don’t take offense to any of it.

Ok, you have a VX5, correct? If you were on a hunt, and it and the rifle with VX5 was on a bipod and tipped over, would you mandate that a zero check happens no matter what before you continued hunting? The same for if it was leaned against a tree or the tailgate and slid off?

OP
J

JGRaider

WKR
I don't have a VX5, but it would probably depend on the situation.....how high it fell, how hard, what did it fall on,etc. If it fell off my shoulder to the ground I'd check it no matter what. Yes, leaning on a tree an falling, off a tailgate, etc I would check zero. Things happen no guarantees no matter what brand scope your rifle wears. As you're well aware, no all rings and mounts are created equal, so there's another reason I'd check zero. Every scope seller/maker has a repair department for a reason.
FWIW, I hunt mainly with a mixture of VX6 (been to Africa 5 times, Sonora MX three times), LRHS's, Athlon's, Arken.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I don't have a VX5, but it would probably depend on the situation.....how high it fell, how hard, what did it fall on,etc. If it fell off my shoulder to the ground I'd check it no matter what. Yes, leaning on a tree an falling, off a tailgate, etc I would check zero. Things happen no guarantees no matter what brand scope your rifle wears. As you're well aware, no all rings and mounts are created equal, so there's another reason I'd check zero. Every scope seller/maker has a repair department for a reason.
FWIW, I hunt mainly with a mixture of VX6 (been to Africa 5 times, Sonora MX three times), LRHS's, Athlon's, Arken.

Ah, VX6- I thought it was one of those.

Well, on rifles with bonded chassis the VX5 and VX6- which are about the same in durability- have a higher chance of losing zero from getting knocked over on a bipod than a NF NXS/NX8/ATACR does from being dropped from 3-4 feet. I’m not being rude, but your experience about loss of zero etc, is due to your experience with certain equipment. I can all but guarantee you that you could shoot a rifle I handed you for a month to the tune of a thousand rounds a week, with the direction to treat it like a rented mule, including having you drop it 5-10 times every day before checking zero- and at the end, you’d laugh if someone told you that if it was dropped it would lose zero.

I don’t do the “I like, I think, I feel” thing, I do probability. Having dropped rifles and scopes thousands upon thousands of times, and used scopes and rifles to way beyond “abuse” long term, there is a point where you can say- “a drop of three feet isn’t doing anything to “x” scope”. And there’s a point when it becomes evident that other scopes are just fragile.

Again, I’m not discounting your experience or saying you haven’t seen what you’ve seen; In any case I am interested in how the Arken continues to work for you.

OP
J

JGRaider

WKR
We will see how the Arken's perform long term. I'm not emotionally attached to a rifle scope I can tell you that. That VX6 isn't a dialer, and hasn't moved in over 10 years and at least 100 big game animals, 60 or so in Africa, survived the baggage handling gorillas, etc without losing zero, so it does well, and it's mounted with Optilocks. on a Tikka 695. I run all bolt guns, no chassis rifles, AR's, or any of that stuff.

You are absolutely right in that my experiences relate to my personal equipment. That's why I say what I say and don't guess about what works for what I'm doing. Some scopes are more durable than others, this we agree 100%. They are all subject to fail though at some point and you never know what point that is.

Have a good one......I'm off early in the morning to whack some turkeys.........with a shotgun so no worries about scopes failing.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Have a good one......I'm off early in the morning to whack some turkeys.........with a shotgun so no worries about scopes failing.

Haha. I shoot them with a rifle like a civilized human, unlikes you savages. grin.

Reactions: WRO

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
And the Minox ZP5 (so far) ...?

Yes sir. There’s a few other random scopes that generally work well- and I’m sure there’s ones I’m not thinking of. The Swarovski X5’s are ok, however they have some issues especially with any left side impacts.

KHNC

WKR
Ordered the 4-16x44 from Cameraland on Friday. Tried to buy first from the Arken website. No matter how many times I tried, I couldnt get Arken to accept my credit card. Even called my bank to see if their was a block of some sort. After wasting an hour I emailed them to ask them to call me to sort it out. Its now Monday afternoon and no email reply or callback , I am glad I went with Cameraland anyway. It was 35.00 cheaper with free shipping as well. Hope its not a sign of their future customer service. I typically hate companies that wont publish a phone number. I figured Cameraland was safe bet in case I have any QC issues. Also bought a 10x42 SWFA today as well. Going to see which one I like best on a couple different rifles.