Arizona Draw Questions

Whip

WKR
We are still a long ways from 2018 but I'm already looking ahead to 2019. Myself and a partner will have 12 points going in to the draw next year and I've been narrowing down the units that we might have a good chance of drawing based on this years results.
I have a few questions:

I've narrowed things down to a half dozen or so units that we might be able to consider. Some of them have a fairly low percentage of public land. 28% - 43% in some. Is that a huge red flag, or are some of the available public lands still good hunting? I hesitate listing the unit numbers we are looking at here, but if anyone has any advice on any of the mid-tier units I'd sure appreciate a PM. ;)

What are the biggest factors you would look at in trying to narrow down a unit? Success rates? Public land %? Hunting pressure? Bull/cow ratio? (Notice trophy quality is not highest on my list) It is pretty easy to see why the top tier units are so desirable, but not sure what the most important factors are on the units within our reach. Are there any units to steer away from for some reason?

I am thinking about the possibility of making a trip down there in the next month or so just to drive around and take a look at areas we are thinking about and try to narrow things down a little. Do you think a trip like that is worth the time without even having a specific unit to scout? Could I learn anything valuable in a 4-5 day trip trying to look over a half dozen units? I've never spent any time in northern Arizona and don't have much of an idea of what to expect.

At age 63 I'm not sure how much longer I want to wait to hunt Arizona. This will likely be my one and only chance. But chasing some of the highly sought after units doesn't seem like a good plan either. Naturally we'd all love to shoot a giant bull, but realistically we would both be pretty darn happy if we could find a couple of 300 inch bulls. Much of what I read about AZ is that there really aren't many bad units. Quantity over quality on the animals, and a unit where we can not feel like we are in a competition with hunting pressure would be the ideal.

Thanks for any advice you can offer!

OP
W

Whip

WKR
Sorry, forgot that important piece! Bow. Specifically, traditional gear, so the ability to get close is a factor. Some of the AZ videos I've seen look like pretty wide open country with long range shots the norm. That isn't going to work as well for us as a place with decent cover.
Thanks.

Bailer

Lil-Rokslider
You’re kind of in no mans land with points, way behind the top tier but could have drawn most of the sleeper units a few years ago. You’re probably on the right track with your plan to drive out and see what kind of terrain you want to hunt.

There are 300” bulls in all the units. THe units with better draw odds just have more tags. I’m not sure that really translates to more people in the field anymore though, as it seems every guy hunting in the top units has 10 buddies with him.

Pm if you want to bounce any ideas off me.

WRO

WKR
Go do a late rifle hunt in 23 or 27..

Plenty of good bulls killed on those.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
W

Whip

WKR
Thanks, but we are really looking for early archery hunts. Nothing wrong with rifle - just not our thing.
Bailer, I'm going to send you a PM. Thanks!

RoJo

WKR
I would not say open country with long shots is the norm at all, unless you wish to make it so. There are plenty of units with good timber where you would stand a reasonable chance of getting on a bull with traditional archery gear. Heck, probably almost all of them. Especially during the rut hunts.