Are rangefinding binos really that good?

mustelid_master

Lil-Rokslider
I keep hearing about how a good set of RF binos are the greatest thing since sliced bread. I dropped my rangefinder this bear season, and am looking for a replacement/upgrade. I have a hard time justifiying the cost of binos over a sig kilo 2800. I don't need ballistics, and I have not had a situation to date where the speed benefit of RF binos would've made a difference. What should I do?

SloppyJ

WKR
Yes. It saves you a step and can literally be the difference in making a shot or not getting one off if the animals are on the move. Don't know much about the 2800s though.

Taudisio

WKR
I looked through a pair of Sig’s when they first came out. The blue tint turned me off for decent binos. Don’t know much about the new ones. I wouldn’t buy a pair without doing a comparison test with normal Binos.

SloppyJ

WKR
I looked through a pair of Sig’s when they first came out. The blue tint turned me off for decent binos. Don’t know much about the new ones. I wouldn’t buy a pair without doing a comparison test with normal Binos.
New ones are night and day difference. I picked up a pair and made sure to check out the gen1 before I purchased. They advertise 90% less blue tint or something like that. It's no BS.

Taudisio

WKR
New ones are night and day difference. I picked up a pair and made sure to check out the gen1 before I purchased. They advertise 90% less blue tint or something like that. It's no BS.
I appreciate the reply! I’ll have to take another look at the new ones. I just wanted the OP to realize the blue tint could be an issue.

Antares

WKR
I currently have 10x42 Geovid Rs and it’s really hard for me to imagine going back to a stand alone rangefinder. I think it’s somewhat dependent on the ranges you’re typically shooting. The farther out you get, the harder it gets to relocate targets when switching between binos and rangefinder.

There are pros/cons to having one device vs multiple. Having everything in one is faster and less gear to carry. However, if it gets damaged or breaks you may loose all functionality. Also, you may want to upgrade one function, but are fine with the rest, or it may be difficult to get the best of every function in a single device.

No. I have never been in a situation where my rangefinder cost me a shot. Plus if the rangefinder goes down, you are out binos as well.

Duh

WKR
I had the same questions before I got the Furry AB’s. I was using a leupold 2800 and getting ballistics off of Hornady 4dof (which I feel is fairly fast to get solutions off). My problem with that combo was that 4dof would sometimes crash or not open so that left me with my backup dope card. I also needed faster solutions for coyote hunting and pulling my phone out with gloves on when a coyotes going away was a pain in the ass.

I bought the Furrys and to be honest, I’m not that impressed with the amount of time it takes to spit out a solution but it is faster than using a stand alone and 4dof, especially when it crashes.

My Furrys took a crap the other week and the sensors on board were unrepairable apparently so I got a brand new pair with no explanation of what the issue was.

Knowing electronics screw up and I’m covered by a lifetime warranty is the only thing that makes me somewhat comfortable with the Furrys. If I knew the Revics weren’t limited to a 5 year warranty, I’d feel more comfortable buying those.

farmermail

Lil-Rokslider
I have both. Combo works great for longer distance, planning a stalk, etc. Still use a small rangefinder for close distance bow or muzzleloader, binos require too much movement when game is inside of 100 yards.

WKR

WKR
I think the word "gamechanger" gets throwed around too often but in this case, rangefinding binos are just that.

I would never want to go back to a standalone.
Especially in fast paced hunting/shooting situations

Mojave

WKR
I have Swarovski EL 8x42 TAs. I don't know if they are currently the most expensive LRF binsoculars you can currently by but they are close.

I would rather have a pair of elite 8x42's and a LRF. I still carry another Leupold LRF. on my chest rig.

Bluumoon

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
If I didn’t need ballistics I would have picked up the Leica geovid Rs

The Revics work great, but I don’t like the blue tint and I feel like I have to push the eye pieces together to where the pinch my nose to get a good view through them.

I’m not sure I follow. If the rangefinder in your rangefinding binos goes down… then you just have binos. How does the rangefinder fail in a way that prevents them from being used as binos?
You gotta send it in to get fixed don’t you? Which means that you are out Binos while it goes through the process.