Lions in my Elk unit

Hi everyone, FNG here with a first post. I'm an adult-onset hunter working to build my knowledge and understanding of Elk and their habits. Rokslide has been a great resource.

I have yet to see a lion with my own eyes, this trailcam video is as close as I've got. I have photos of cows and a few spikes in the same location 2 days before and what appears to be the same group a day after the lions. I've seen and heard plenty of wolves in this unit over the years. 2 years ago, my buddy and I saw a wolf ~300 yards below our glassing knob. A day later he killed a bull in the exact spot we saw the wolf.

While I understand a lot can change between now and then between hunting pressure, weather, etc. - how sensitive are Elk to these types of predators? Should seeing lions in August deter me from rifle hunting Elk in this area in a few months?

The footage is too cool not to share.

Taudisio

WKR
No experience with elk on camera, but I’ve had bears on camera and a pile of deer, they just seem to rotate who is on the feed. Bear comes in then moves off and deer come in, and reverse. Sometimes within 30 minutes of each other and day after day. I’d just make sure you have a cat tag in your pocket while you are chasing elk and I wouldn’t do anything different.

Beendare

WKR
I can safely say there are lions in every elk unit.

I have seen drainages in a few different states-mT, WY and ID- where wolves have moved the elk…or got them to shut up….but that's typical elk behavior to rotate through country every 3-5 days. Natures way to control over grazing.

I don’t worry about lions.

Maverick1

WKR
Hi everyone, FNG here with a first post. I'm an adult-onset hunter working to build my knowledge and understanding of Elk and their habits. Rokslide has been a great resource.

I have yet to see a lion with my own eyes, this trailcam video is as close as I've got. I have photos of cows and a few spikes in the same location 2 days before and what appears to be the same group a day after the lions. I've seen and heard plenty of wolves in this unit over the years. 2 years ago, my buddy and I saw a wolf ~300 yards below our glassing knob. A day later he killed a bull in the exact spot we saw the wolf.

While I understand a lot can change between now and then between hunting pressure, weather, etc. - how sensitive are Elk to these types of predators? Should seeing lions in August deter me from rifle hunting Elk in this area in a few months?

The footage is too cool not to share.

Nice video. Thanks for sharing. Predators are all around. I wouldn’t worry about a video of lions months, weeks, or even days before your tag is valid. Go on your hunt. Good luck!

OP
midwestcowboy
Nice video. Thanks for sharing. Predators are all around. I wouldn’t worry about a video of lions months, weeks, or even days before your tag is valid. Go on your hunt. Good luck!
Thanks, I appreciate the advice. I’ll continue scouting the area and see what I can get into this season!

PaBone

Lil-Rokslider
We had a lion come running in last year while cow calling in Montana last year. He stopped at about 25 yards and just stared at my son for a minute before running off. There's lions, wolves and bears in the unit we hunt, but there's also elk.

deerninja

FNG
Lions...no worries, we've hunted in lion country for years and it does not seem to bother the elk herds. Wolf...well that's another story. In my experience, I've hunted elk for many years without wolf pressure and they are more predictable and vocal. When hunting in those same areas after wolves have come in i've seen a major decline in daylight movement as well as calls being very very limited. I stopped hunting elk in the wolf areas but I am a bowhunter and that makes a huge difference. With a gun i'd probably take my chance and simply cover more ground if need be.

Poser

WKR
I went and checked on my "main squeeze" of an elk hole last weekend. There were elk in this small, 1/2 mile deep basin. There was also a pack of coyotes and fresh lion scat that was nothing but elk hair.

cnelk

WKR
We found a community Mtn Lion scat pile a few years ago.
It was probably a 10’x10’ mound.

That’ll get your attention.

Never seen a cat in decades of archery elk hunting

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
We are infested here in AZ. They are all over the deer habitat across the entire state. Everyone I know keeps tags in their vehicles/packs, as they have a nearly year long season for them here.

OP
midwestcowboy
This guy cached the carcass of my elk in 2017. I snuck in and he was still there.
View attachment 750495View attachment 750496
That's awesome and nice bike setup! Is it legal for me to put a cam over a carcass in Idaho? Hadn't thought of doing that before...
I don't know if I'd plan to hunt over the carcass, more or less just see what comes through for a snack ha.

pirogue

WKR
They all coexist. A few years ago, my BIL was glassing some sheep, when a lion attacked them. Lions run out of gas rather shortly. The next morning, I killed the ram, that was chased, only 1/4 mile away.