Are rangefinding binos really that good?

I bought my first rangefinding binos in 2014. I got the Zeiss Victory 10x56 rangefinder binos. It was my first ALPHA glass I had bought. Hands down the best money I've spent on hunting gear. I'm not sure that I would have been as successful in my hunting had I not bought them.

I used them up until this year when I decided I wanted ballistics and grabbed Swarovski EL Range TA 10x42. I had to send them to Zeiss once as they took a 30 foot fall down a mountain and something inside shifted. 10 years of use and the RF still works fine. I kicked them down to my Nephew so he will be using them until they give up the ghost.

I went Swarovski over Revic because I need to be able to glass for hours without strain and I've heard the Revic are not as friendly in that regard. Though the laser and ballistics is better in the Revic.

Yes they are worth it

I've been using the Vortex Fury 5000s and have had great luck ranging out to about 3000yds on non-reflective targets.

JGRaider

WKR
Going on year 3 with Fury AB's. I find them a great overall package....great RF, love the AB programming, and glass will easily get you past legal shooting light. It replaced 3 failed attempts at getting a 3200.com that would actually work as spec'd (none did). If you dont' need ballistics readouts, the GPO is the best combo of superb glass and killer RF function on the market.

Moosehunter

Lil-Rokslider
It's been said. But the biggest thing to me is.. durability?
I'm not experienced. Just don't want to have to send them in and not have binos.
I live in North Idaho and use my binos almost daily. And to be totally honest, if I'm investing in even 1500 dollar geovids. I can only have one pair of binos. It's unfortunate, but that's just how it is. Maybe I should first find a different job😅

bradb

WKR
To me, well they suck for hunting by myself. I just feel that its much easier when on the gun or a bow in hand to ease up a small stand alone RF and get a range or double check it than it is with the RF bino. Now if I am hunting with some one and giving them the range they are nice. I still have some, but they never go hunting with me when I am hunting for myself alone.

OP
M

mustelid_master

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone have a hunting experience where having two sperate units and not a range finding bino where you lost a shot opportunity b/c of that specifically?

Taudisio

WKR
Does anyone have a hunting experience where having two sperate units and not a range finding bino where you lost a shot opportunity b/c of that specifically?
I do not have range-finding binos. To answer your question, probably yes. I have been in a lot of situations archery and rifle, chasing “any legal buck”. With antler restriction areas, I have to verify antlers with the binos, switch to range, then draw my bow. I could definitely see a good benefit to the range finding binos in that kind of scenario, especially when you have been spotted. Been there, done that, more than twice. Is it enough that I’m going to run out and buy a new pair? No, the price for admission is not worth it (to me) at this point. Down the road, I will be looking at picking up a pair.

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
Pick any instance where you didn't have enough time to get a shot off (before animal walked behind something, or away, etc)

And that could be an instance where having less steps in your shooting process could have been the difference

Everyone please email Maven asking them to get their RF bino released. They have lifetime warranty on their RF, so I've been holding out for them as I love their binos.

Reactions: Duh

JGRaider

WKR
Everyone please email Maven asking them to get their RF bino released. They have lifetime warranty on their RF, so I've been holding out for them as I love their binos.
You can bet it will be Chinese made like everything else, at least the electronics part. It'll be interesting to see what they have though. Leupold's current model is still a Meopta made product in Leupold clothing, and likely a Czech/Chinese unit.

W
You can bet it will be Chinese made like everything else, at least the electronics part. It'll be interesting to see what they have though. Leupold's current model is still a Meopta made product in Leupold clothing, and likely a Czech/Chinese unit.
Well Maven's rangefinders are of Philippines origin. So we'll see about their RF binos